What are your favorite “glue” plug-in’s?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Got the Glue on the Ableton version I have. I can see what the fuss is about. If I had the money (when I get the money) I'd buy it.

Also a big fan of NI. Solid Bus Comp. It just sounds very good. Is it a different comp to the Glue one? Just seems so noisy and thwacky. I think it's an SSL clone of some type. Probably best not to listen to me.

However, that DCAM Dynamics bundle does it all. Transparent, noisy, whacky -

https://www.fxpansion.com/products/dcamdynamics/

Some people whinge about the interface. But I love it. It works perfectly.

The track and bus comps are to die for. But the transient plugin does some special magic. You can get some free cut down versions of these.

Absolutely under-rated. Rare gems. It gives a couple of twists to the whole dynamics game.

And Glue is what it's all about.

Seriously classy plugins.

TB ReelBus 4 now.

codec_spurt wrote:Also a big fan of NI. Solid Bus Comp. It just sounds very good. Is it a different comp to the Glue one? Just seems so noisy and thwacky. I think it's an SSL clone of some type.
Cytomic The Glue, NI/Softube Solid Bus Comp & Solid Dynamics, Slate FG-Grey, PSP BusPressor and Stillwell Bombardier are all (AFAIK) based on the SSL 4000 G-Series VCA Bus compressor.

Martin

IK Bus compressor

axb312 wrote:IK Bus compressor
Their Neve is quite good too, as is the Fairchild, on the right mix. The Songec eq emulation is also quite good on the master.

VoS Density mk3 and Thrillseeker VBL
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

simon.a.billington wrote:...If the mix is too sterile I don’t mind a bit of noise or even hum. It helps generate intermodulation which lends itself to mix cohesion.
I have been experimenting with this on rhythm tracks and I like the results. Again another way to use my "Dirt and Layers" sample pack of Goldbaby 8)

That's good to hear man.

There are a few famous engineers who don't mind a bit of noise either, I know Greg Wells is one, I forget the others, though. I had a brief discussion with Greg a while back about the noise that gets introduced with his Waves line of plugins. Apparently as they were developing them Waves' devs would keep getting back to him about the noise in his plugins, they wanted to get rid of it. Greg's response was to leave it in!! He seems to think that some of that low level noise is part of the charm and what makes things sound better. He didn't want Waves to get rid of it.

I guess its all matter of tastes and perspective. There are no right answers here., just preferences

Aliasing glues things together, nothing like a nice glossy sheen of inharmonic frequencies across the whole spectrum to tie everything together. :wink:

Everglide wrote:Aliasing glues things together, nothing like a nice glossy sheen of inharmonic frequencies across the whole spectrum to tie everything together. :wink:
Can’t tell if you’re joking, even with the wink, but that’s pretty much what I do for certain styles of music.

perpetual3 wrote:
Everglide wrote:Aliasing glues things together, nothing like a nice glossy sheen of inharmonic frequencies across the whole spectrum to tie everything together. :wink:
Can’t tell if you’re joking, even with the wink, but that’s pretty much what I do for certain styles of music.
Chiptunes? :D

Dub Techno, lofi “beats”.

peterdh wrote:
simon.a.billington wrote:...If the mix is too sterile I don’t mind a bit of noise or even hum. It helps generate intermodulation which lends itself to mix cohesion.
I have been experimenting with this on rhythm tracks and I like the results. Again another way to use my "Dirt and Layers" sample pack of Goldbaby 8)
It's funny. I kind of misinterpreted your advice. Of course you meant noise from a tape recorder or a record, but I've been experimenting with filtered brown/pink/white noise from synthesizers, rhythmically sequenced at low volume in my beats. I really really like it :D

peterdh wrote:
peterdh wrote:
It's funny. I kind of misinterpreted your advice. Of course you meant noise from a tape recorder or a record, but I've been experimenting with filtered brown/pink/white noise from synthesizers, rhythmically sequenced at low volume in my beats. I really really like it :D
Well you could do that too. Really it’s a very similar thing. Although, if you have noise controls on your plugins like the one’s on Waves, Lindell and Brainworx plugins, you can just switch it on and save yourself the effort.

I have been testing Softube Tape. I like the glue effect on the master buss, but the effect is maybe a bit too subtle for my liking. I also do not like the damping effect of my higher frequencies and the "High-Frequency Trim boost" does not sound like a nice compensation to my ears.

Any comments?

Return to “Effects”