PluginPlay.co - an attempt to unify VST environment?!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Couldn't find a right place to post it, so Mods please move it elsewhere if appropriate :)

So I've seen this on my FB feed today. PluginPlay.co is a platform, that - from single account - attempts to manage all the VSTs (and soon AUs) from cooperating devs, meaning you can try for free (10h a month!), install and update all your plugins, that you either have in your subscription or that you bought outright. For now D16 and kiloHearts are on board, but the video mentions "hundreds of plugins" so I'm assuming they're working on getting more.

I'm sure many (all?) of us are fed up with having to remember websites, logins & passwords (and archive e-mails) for our plugins, so that would be a great way to organise it, just like Propellerheads' rack extension environment does for Reason - it's awesome you install & update all your REs with one click, regardless of who developed them! Imagine that for VST/AUs!

:clap:

http://pluginplay.co/

https://youtu.be/l1xKgasgghI
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

I am not optimistic about this. I rather deal direct with the company for transfers, downloads and updates. Putting another middle man in there will complicate things and of course there will be some kind of charge for this "service" even if hidden -someone has to compensated. Keeping passcodes and authorization serials in email is pretty basic. Just my opinion but this seems like a solution in search of a problem. I just can't see NI, Arturia , Melda , Softube, FXPAnsion, XLN Audio. IK, Universal Audio , Eventide or Waves jumping on board. They have systems in place that are easily managed.
antic604 wrote:Couldn't find a right place to post it, so Mods please move it elsewhere if appropriate :)

So I've seen this on my FB feed today. PluginPlay.co is a platform, that - from single account - attempts to manage all the VSTs (and soon AUs) from cooperating devs, meaning you can try for free (10h a month!), install and update all your plugins, that you either have in your subscription or that you bought outright. For now D16 and kiloHearts are on board, but the video mentions "hundreds of plugins" so I'm assuming they're working on getting more.

I'm sure many (all?) of us are fed up with having to remember websites, logins & passwords (and archive e-mails) for our plugins, so that would be a great way to organise it, just like Propellerheads' rack extension environment does for Reason - it's awesome you install & update all your REs with one click, regardless of who developed them! Imagine that for VST/AUs!

:clap:

http://pluginplay.co/

https://youtu.be/l1xKgasgghI

On the other hand this is a great way to demo plugs, and 10 hrs a month probably exceeds my actual usage of 90 percent of my plugin folder. I don't know if this is going to work or not, but it is interesting anyway. already gave the d16 reverb a workout for a bit with it. will be more interesting when they have content I might actually want to subscribe to, as the rates look fair

Scotty wrote:I am not optimistic about this. I rather deal direct with the company for transfers, downloads and updates. Putting another middle man in there will complicate things and of course there will be some kind of charge for this "service" even if hidden -someone has to compensated. Keeping passcodes and authorization serials in email is pretty basic. Just my opinion but this seems like a solution in search of a problem. I just can't see NI, Arturia , Melda , Softube, FXPAnsion, XLN Audio. IK, Universal Audio , Eventide or Waves jumping on board. They have systems in place that are easily managed.

Hi Guys,

Thank you for mentioning us.

Yes, this is exactly our plan.

1) Putting another middle man in there will complicate thing.

There is no middle man. Customer support and everything related to the plugin is directly with the manufactures. More than that, in the next month, next to each plugin you will have a button from the app, to contact their support in needed.

2) Some kind of charge for this "service" even if hidden.

No hidden charges, as I mentioned above the companies are managing their own accounts. Same as KVR Audio. Each company sending updates, notifications etc...the prices are set by them and only them. Means that whatever the price for weekly, monthly etc..is set, this is exactly what you will be paying and not a cent more. Our recommendation pf prices for the manufacturers are set by formulas and research that we did for almost 4 years. Plugins life cycle, usage and more to understand the best price for the users. But in the end its the manufacturers choice to go with our price recommendation or change it, for the good or bad.

3) Keeping passcodes and authorization serials in email is pretty basic.

Our technology is not using any serial numbers. With our security system, you can use your collection of plugins in each studio. Similar to Adobe. If tomorrow you choose to go to your friends house to do a collaboration and you want to use your favorite synth...just login to your account from his computer.

4) I just can't see NI, Arturia , Melda , Softube, FXPAnsion, XLN Audio. IK

Softube is already offering their instruments via subscription plans and Melda as well. The whole world is moving to the cloud and subscription plans. Every year there is more demand from the world. Yes a company like NI will be hard to do it in the beginning but, everything is a matter of time, and we are working hard to get more companies and we already have lucky winners (I just cannot say right now, its a secret) ;)

5) In the end, PluginPlay is not just a tool that giving you plugins via subscription services. The main goal of PluginPlay as mentioned above is to be the one tool that you will need in order to organize and manage all your digital studio.

Imagine a day when you need to format your computer...and than with a click of a button, all your plugins and instrument are installing without even clicking on the button "Next". You go to drink a beer with your friend, coming home after an hour...and your studio is back like nothing happened :)

A solution to a problem that never existed.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

It's interesting, I have asked them about details. Only two companies in a year time frame makes me cautious.

discoDSP wrote:It's interesting, I have asked them about details. Only two companies in a year time frame makes me cautious.
Everything will be sent to you shortly. There is nothing to be afraid of. PluginPlay was in development for almost 3 years. I am not ashamed that it took us time comparing to other startups that much faster.

The reason for that is because we are a small team. It's not two companies in a year time frame, we are working with more. But, only 2 because we were working closely with them perfecting the software and the integrations and it takes time back and forth back and forth. Also, testing, QA, Alpha testing etc..Now I hope that other integrations that we are doing will finish faster and faster with time, so the users and you as a company will enjoy from the platform.

Thanks for responding. This is why I remain skeptical... on my system now this is what I have for licence management ...

A. Ilok, B. Elicenser, C. Gobbler. D Native Access, E. Arturia Service Centre F. XLN Online Installer , G. Waves Central, H. Adobe Cloud, I. East West Play, and at least another 5 download managers. I also have other software that has downloadable content purchased "in app" including Drumcore, Ik Multimedia, not to mention software that has customized installers from plugin-alliance and melda.

I can imagine anything but I cannot see a day when any one service can consolidate all of the authorizations, downloads, ilok etc so that I can go get a beer while my audio software reinstalls itself (unattended no less). Good luck with it but what we are going to wind up with is another "standard" that looks after some of it... needs continual updating and will not be able to work without assistance.

Think about it... not one of the services I listed above work without my interaction - how are you going to do it with all or even the majority of them - each would have to push notifications to the service , would need to have awareness as to what was installed and where on my system, how many authentications I have remaining- and what additional downloadable content I have purchased etc.

If you can do it than more power to you but you are a long way from demonstrating what you have proposed here.

I'll continue to follow this with interest regardless of my doubts. - Scotty

PakotecSamples wrote:
Scotty wrote:I am not optimistic about this. I rather deal direct with the company for transfers, downloads and updates. Putting another middle man in there will complicate things and of course there will be some kind of charge for this "service" even if hidden -someone has to compensated. Keeping passcodes and authorization serials in email is pretty basic. Just my opinion but this seems like a solution in search of a problem. I just can't see NI, Arturia , Melda , Softube, FXPAnsion, XLN Audio. IK, Universal Audio , Eventide or Waves jumping on board. They have systems in place that are easily managed.

Hi Guys,

Thank you for mentioning us.

Yes, this is exactly our plan.

1) Putting another middle man in there will complicate thing.

There is no middle man. Customer support and everything related to the plugin is directly with the manufactures. More than that, in the next month, next to each plugin you will have a button from the app, to contact their support in needed.

2) Some kind of charge for this "service" even if hidden.

No hidden charges, as I mentioned above the companies are managing their own accounts. Same as KVR Audio. Each company sending updates, notifications etc...the prices are set by them and only them. Means that whatever the price for weekly, monthly etc..is set, this is exactly what you will be paying and not a cent more. Our recommendation pf prices for the manufacturers are set by formulas and research that we did for almost 4 years. Plugins life cycle, usage and more to understand the best price for the users. But in the end its the manufacturers choice to go with our price recommendation or change it, for the good or bad.

3) Keeping passcodes and authorization serials in email is pretty basic.

Our technology is not using any serial numbers. With our security system, you can use your collection of plugins in each studio. Similar to Adobe. If tomorrow you choose to go to your friends house to do a collaboration and you want to use your favorite synth...just login to your account from his computer.

4) I just can't see NI, Arturia , Melda , Softube, FXPAnsion, XLN Audio. IK

Softube is already offering their instruments via subscription plans and Melda as well. The whole world is moving to the cloud and subscription plans. Every year there is more demand from the world. Yes a company like NI will be hard to do it in the beginning but, everything is a matter of time, and we are working hard to get more companies and we already have lucky winners (I just cannot say right now, its a secret) ;)

5) In the end, PluginPlay is not just a tool that giving you plugins via subscription services. The main goal of PluginPlay as mentioned above is to be the one tool that you will need in order to organize and manage all your digital studio.

Imagine a day when you need to format your computer...and than with a click of a button, all your plugins and instrument are installing without even clicking on the button "Next". You go to drink a beer with your friend, coming home after an hour...and your studio is back like nothing happened :)

Thank you for the feedback!

I have to say that I 100% agree with you! But this is exactly why a change must be made!

Yes, its super hard and takes time to integrate each software frame or security system, to rebuild or change authorization systems. Takes time to communicate with each company, make agreements and compromises.

As you said, and you are right, it's a huge challenge and will take time for sure. That said, it is our main goal and we are going to pursue it with all we have.
Scotty wrote:Thanks for responding. This is why I remain skeptical... on my system now this is what I have for licence management ...

A. Ilok, B. Elicenser, C. Gobbler. D Native Access, E. Arturia Service Centre F. XLN Online Installer , G. Waves Central, H. Adobe Cloud, I. East West Play, and at least another 5 download managers. I also have other software that has downloadable content purchased "in app" including Drumcore, Ik Multimedia, not to mention software that has customized installers from plugin-alliance and melda.

I can imagine anything but I cannot see a day when any one service can consolidate all of the authorizations, downloads, ilok etc so that I can go get a beer while my audio software reinstalls itself (unattended no less). Good luck with it but what we are going to wind up with is another "standard" that looks after some of it... needs continual updating and will not be able to work without assistance.

Think about it... not one of the services I listed above work without my interaction - how are you going to do it with all or even the majority of them - each would have to push notifications to the service , would need to have awareness as to what was installed and where on my system, how many authentications I have remaining- and what additional downloadable content I have purchased etc.

If you can do it than more power to you but you are a long way from demonstrating what you have proposed here.

Mushy Mushy wrote:A solution to a problem that never existed.
The problem exists. Keeping and installing plugins from many developers current and installed, and dealing with multiple methods of copy protection and passwords etc... this is a PITA, and a problem I would be interested in seeing a solution for.

As for whether this is actually a solution for that problem, or just yet another part of the problem is yet to be seen.

ShawnG wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:A solution to a problem that never existed.
The problem exists. Keeping and installing plugins from many developers current and installed, and dealing with multiple methods of copy protection and passwords etc... this is a PITA, and a problem I would be interested in seeing a solution for.

As for whether this is actually a solution for that problem, or just yet another part of the problem is yet to be seen.
Ok if it's an issue for you then that's fine, I obviously cannot disagree.

However, given I only reinstall things every few years it's hardly worth implementing a solution for. I just log onto websites and download. Then search in my email for the registration. Not once, ever, have I had an issue.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

I do hope for your success. Visionaries don't tend to listen to naysayers as they are too busy getting on with it. Cheers and good luck! - Scotty.

PakotecSamples wrote:Thank you for the feedback!

I have to say that I 100% agree with you! But this is exactly why a change must be made!

Yes, its super hard and takes time to integrate each software frame or security system, to rebuild or change authorization systems. Takes time to communicate with each company, make agreements and compromises.

As you said, and you are right, it's a huge challenge and will take time for sure. That said, it is our main goal and we are going to pursue it with all we have.
Scotty wrote:Thanks for responding. This is why I remain skeptical... on my system now this is what I have for licence management ...

Thank you Scotty!
Scotty wrote:I do hope for your success. Visionaries don't tend to listen to naysayers as they are too busy getting on with it. Cheers and good luck! - Scotty.

PakotecSamples wrote:Thank you for the feedback!

I’m in the process of reinstalling all of my software on a new laptop, and I can really appreciate the need for such a centralized software management system. I’m highly skeptical, however, that some third party middleman would be the right ones to provide that service. The most logical place to implement this is directly in the operating system. Apple has demonstrated how well that works with the iOS App Store. I’m not sure what the adoption rate has been like on the Mac side, and I don’t think Microsoft has seen a great deal of traction with their efforts yet. Nevertheless, it seems obvious that software installed on a computer should be managed by the operating system. I look forward to the day that I can log into my new Windows laptop, go to the App Store, and immediately download and install all of my existing software from every manufacturer.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

PakotecSamples wrote:The whole world is moving to the cloud and subscription plans.
The whole world is easily deceived as to the definition of what is actually better or what is not better - at all. Just because the WHOLE WORLD is heading in one direction does not mean that it is the right direction, that it is a good direction, or a sustainable direction. The "whole world" has been wrong many times.

Cloud and subscription are actually part of the problem.
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”