Twisted Poetry (Psytrance)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

wagtunes wrote:And this explains why it sounds so good. I could never do that much work on just a kick and bass. That kind of attention to detail is what separates the pros from everybody else.

Thanks for sharing this.
Thanks again but let's stop short of using the word pro as I certainly wouldn't put myself anywhere near that. As I said earlier I spend loads of time on things. I started this track in March and worked on it every weekend since. I love doing this stuff and I love learning so I tend to watch loads of videos and read lots of articles, etc.

Your comments and feedback have been very encouraging. Many thanks :tu:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote:
wagtunes wrote:And this explains why it sounds so good. I could never do that much work on just a kick and bass. That kind of attention to detail is what separates the pros from everybody else.

Thanks for sharing this.
Thanks again but let's stop short of using the word pro as I certainly wouldn't put myself anywhere near that. As I said earlier I spend loads of time on things. I started this track in March and worked on it every weekend since. I love doing this stuff and I love learning so I tend to watch loads of videos and read lots of articles, etc.

Your comments and feedback have been very encouraging. Many thanks :tu:
I'm glad I was able to be encouraging, but given I knock out a song in a day, my stuff is never going to sound as good as yours.

Work 3 months on a track? I'd rather slit my wrists. :hihi:

wagtunes wrote:I'm glad I was able to be encouraging, but given I knock out a song in a day, my stuff is never going to sound as good as yours.

Work 3 months on a track? I'd rather slit my wrists. :hihi:
:lol:

Each to their own obviously but I like to make them to the best of my ability rather than just banging them out. That said, I won't tell you how frustrating it is most of the time. After 3 months I'm so over it it's not funny.

the sound design is quite good ...
the mix is pristine ...
your attention to detail merits comment ...

not a fan of four to the floor , understanding that it's
de rigueur to this genre ...

Top notch stuff, mate! Weird, trippy and funky. The production is very good and the kbbb sounds awesome, I envy you :)

Btw, 3 months is just fine to make a proper psytrance track.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

experimental.crow wrote:the sound design is quite good ...
the mix is pristine ...
your attention to detail merits comment ...

not a fan of four to the floor , understanding that it's
de rigueur to this genre ...
Many thanks for the listen and kind words 8)

Much appreciated.

recursive one wrote:Top notch stuff, mate! Weird, trippy and funky. The production is very good and the kbbb sounds awesome, I envy you :)

Btw, 3 months is just fine to make a proper psytrance track.
I was looking forward to your comments TBH given you’re a fan of the genre so know what to expect.

It sounds as though you enjoyed it so that makes me exceptionally happy indeed.

Thanks for the timeline clarification, I do often wonder about these things. I was considering it more and 3 months is only 24 weekend days so that sounds entirely reasonable to me.

Mushy Mushy wrote:
It sounds as though you enjoyed it so that makes me exceptionally happy indeed.

Thanks for the timeline clarification, I do often wonder about these things. I was considering it more and 3 months is only 24 weekend days so that sounds entirely reasonable to me.
Yes, I really enjoyed it. I'm typically into more melodic kinds of psytrance, I wouldn't call your track "melodic" but it manages to create tension and has interesting musical development based on the interplay of all these trippy sounds and textures (which are exceptionally well made) and in this sense it is truly psychedelic.

Regarding the timelines, well, maybe pro artists, like Tristan, Ace Ventura etc, can put together a psytrance track in less than a week (and TBH some of their tracks do sound like that) but for someone making music in spare time it must take months to make a psytrance track with reasonable production quality - of course if you are using original sounds and avoid using loops and other premade content.

recursive one wrote:Yes, I really enjoyed it. I'm typically into more melodic kinds of psytrance, I wouldn't call your track "melodic" but it manages to create tension and has interesting musical development based on the interplay of all these trippy sounds and textures (which are exceptionally well made) and in this sense it is truly psychedelic.

Regarding the timelines, well, maybe pro artists, like Tristan, Ace Ventura etc, can put together a psytrance track in less than a week (and TBH some of their tracks do sound like that) but for someone making music in spare time it must take months to make a psytrance track with reasonable production quality - of course if you are using original sounds and avoid using loops and other premade content.
8)

Sound design is my favourite bit so I never use presets or samples (apart from one spaceship at the beginning but sshhh :oops: )

This was super. :hyper: The acid riffs rock. All of this was soooo good...I can tell it took some serious work.

I've been head over heels for Psytrance and Goa lately. When I was a kid I obsessed with Astral Projection and it's all coming back to hit me in the chest lately... :love:

So, naturally, I've been trying my own hands at this stuff. Incredibly enjoyable and extremely work-intensive.

Esgalachoir wrote:This was super. :hyper: The acid riffs rock. All of this was soooo good...I can tell it took some serious work.

I've been head over heels for Psytrance and Goa lately. When I was a kid I obsessed with Astral Projection and it's all coming back to hit me in the chest lately... :love:

So, naturally, I've been trying my own hands at this stuff. Incredibly enjoyable and extremely work-intensive.
Wow, that’s strong feedback indeed.

I do love when psyheads listen as they know how it should sound. It sounds therefore as though you approve so this makes me happy 8)

Many thanks again for the listen and kind words :tu:

One Word. Eargasm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOOOOOOOOOOOVED it!!!!! Thanks

Btw, is this the technique based on the Sonic Elysium tutorial?
Mushy Mushy wrote: The kick was made in Kick 2 to ensure it starts and finishes on E. Designing this took quite a lot of time. I then EQ'd it with Pro-Q2 to take out some mids given the frequency response was quite even across all bands (ie, way too dominating). I then added Waves Manny Marroquin Triple D on the DeBox setting to remove the mud/boxiness. I then used Xfer LFO Tool to ensure the kick didn't overlap into the next 16th note.

The bass was made in Massive and I adjusted the start of the oscillator phase to provide a little click at the start of the note. Doing so allowed me to filter the bass a little lower. I then EQ'd using apulsoft's apQualizr2 to raise the fundamental and lower the next two peaks. Despite the fact I knew the kick wasn't overlapping into the bass I was cautious and used the Infected Mushroom Kick and Bass solver to duck the bass when the kick hits. Typically I would just sidechain but I was using Cubase Elements for this which doesn't allow sidechaining.

Mushy Mushy wrote:The kick was made in Kick 2 to ensure it starts and finishes on E. Designing this took quite a lot of time. I then EQ'd it with Pro-Q2 to take out some mids given the frequency response was quite even across all bands (ie, way too dominating). I then added Waves Manny Marroquin Triple D on the DeBox setting to remove the mud/boxiness. I then used Xfer LFO Tool to ensure the kick didn't overlap into the next 16th note.

The bass was made in Massive and I adjusted the start of the oscillator phase to provide a little click at the start of the note. Doing so allowed me to filter the bass a little lower. I then EQ'd using apulsoft's apQualizr2 to raise the fundamental and lower the next two peaks. Despite the fact I knew the kick wasn't overlapping into the bass I was cautious and used the Infected Mushroom Kick and Bass solver to duck the bass when the kick hits. Typically I would just sidechain but I was using Cubase Elements for this which doesn't allow sidechaining.
recursive one wrote:Btw, is this the technique based on the Sonic Elysium tutorial?
Only the apQualizr2 bit. All the rest I was doing previously already.

systmu wrote:One Word. Eargasm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOOOOOOOOOOOVED it!!!!! Thanks
You guys are awesome :hail:

Return to “Music Cafe”