One Synth Challenge #112: Synth1 by Ichiro Toda (Photonic Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Synth1

Eauson wrote:Okay having a listen now, the items you are referring to are the big production style drums?
Now I'm worried. Because what I mean was mid to high range harshness on instruments but not drums. For example in the beginning those synth strings with bells for me are harsh and I was not able to tweak it without loosing this characteristic sound. But drums noooo :cry: I usually make dums resonating on high velocity on purpose to simulate (kind of) real behavior but it was not problem I was talking about.

I'll reply point wise, sir. Forgive me, if the reply seems too long.
Eauson wrote: Warning :roll: :oops: are to signify words/phrase's that you may not be totally familiar with, if you think I am talking down to you :roll: :oops: then please let me know :D
:D Thanks for this special effort to make the conversation more clear. It's well understood (hopefully the same as you wanted me to understand).
Eauson wrote: It wasn't those particular products that I was telling you to buy, it was just an example of a way to achieve a midi keyboard setup using a variety of things, all sourced at a lower cost than purchasing new.
It was very clear from your response that it was "just an example". It was bad at my side, if it could not be reflected in my reply.
Eauson wrote: I don't know if you have any relatives who live/work abroad, maybe if you do you could ask them to purchase items that you find?
So
https://blog.landr.com/50-best-midi-controllers/

That's a good suggestion, but, not possible in my case. Thanks for the link too.

Generally, most of the products are not supplied with international warranty. I think locally bought items are cheaper to repair and maintain, when required. (of course, if available in locality where one lives)

Most of the the listed ones at the shared website are available here (India). Comparatively, Used ones are harder to find, especially in good condition.

Accordinng to my research, Arturia KeyStep is unique. Good reviews too. Just laumched KeyLab mkII looks promising. Have heard good about Novation LaunchKey and M-Audio Oxygen series too. Good compatibility with DAWs. I think these three are preferred controllers than other brands.
Eauson wrote: Personally I try and stay away from new products due to a proliferation of already manufactured items, this is the crux :roll: :oops: in my idea regarding 2nd hand items. This can also be precarious, as not all items are offered the same amount of care from person to person.

If I buy, I prefer new, just to reduce chance of possible mishandling and misleading information by the existing owner of the equipment. But, in this case, I have to bear with higher cost of purchase. Less risk, less gain.
Eauson wrote: So if you need a hand, such as if you're unsure of an items to use within your setup, you are currently virtually in the right place/ space :D
KVR is filled with serious gearheadz, I'm unsure the state of play :roll: :oops: in the buy and sell section as its not somewhere I visit.
I lurk "buy and sell" section. Even "Hardware" section. Owning a hardware synth excites me more than having a midi controller. So, some days back I had some friendly conversation about Korg Minilogue.

No doubt about helpfulness and knowledge of "KVR's GearHeads". KVR has always been helpful to me, I must thank everybody for that. In fact, whatever I have learnt about music production, KVR forums have big role played in the process.

I want to say this: I am not sure exactly when, but I will have some music related hardware. I believe, it's very satisfying experience.

I am gathering confidence on myself to buy one. Even though I enjoy music making more than anything else, I sometimes feel that I will not be able to recover the investment on hardware because I am not a Pro and also not sure about recovering its initial fixed and running cost. Music making is really a costly hobby. This is the main reason for procastination of buying a hardware, if I be honest. :)

Since I have been used to my setup, I don't force myself to change it. Just enjoying reading, learning about hardware synths and midi controllers. :)

.... and :pray: I think something good will happen at right moment. :party:
Eauson wrote: Hope my English has not left you scratching your head :dog: :roll: :oops: , as it has been pointed out to me, as a/an English speaker, there is sometimes a chance of confusing non native speakers with our choices of phrases/ localised dialect.
Same can be said between English and American, but that's a whole other kettle of fish :roll: :oops: :D
As I said earlier, you were and are very clear in your response. I agree that sometimes misunderstandings happen due to language and its usage, even in same language (for ex. English with British and American variant, as your rightly pointed out).

But, this time everything was clear.
So, cheers.!! :tu:

Now, I realised that I have written/edited this reply more than required. :wink: So, I'll pause here.

Regards,
Dee

TrojakEW wrote: … For example in the beginning those synth strings with bells for me are harsh and I was not able to tweak it without loosing this characteristic sound.
I agree this is the instrument which stood out as to needing some work. I also know what you mean about losing the characteristic sounds - cymbals are like that, so easy to lose the metallic ring and end up with white noise again!

BTW - I love your percussion - hard hitting and nicely "up front".

I have the same issue with a clarinet type sound - once you tone down the higher registers, it starts to sound like a flute - I'm using multiple layers, some eq'd like a flute, some eq'd like a reed instrument, and then trying to mix them for the right "feel"!

dB

TrojakEW wrote:
Eauson wrote:Okay having a listen now, the items you are referring to are the big production style drums?
Now I'm worried. Because what I mean was mid to high range harshness on instruments but not drums. For example in the beginning those synth strings with bells for me are harsh and I was not able to tweak it without loosing this characteristic sound. But drums noooo :cry: I usually make dums resonating on high velocity on purpose to simulate (kind of) real behavior but it was not problem I was talking about.
Ohh, sh**,
I seem to have put my foot in it for the 2nd time today, I really am having a bad one, can I blame it on manflu? As I'm unwell, getting no sleep,m well 3 hrs a night. How :oops: :clap: to me...
I should definitely write this day of in history of my time on the tinternet 1996ish, with my new connection giving me better access!!!
All I heard on the drums, not all, was a crunch, that's what I thought you were referring to. I didn't realise it was your synth strings, I seem to have picked up the wring end of the stick which the child thought he would examine another brown loggy type stick with :oops: :o :evil: :roll:
Do you have any fx on these, have you tried a LP version and a hp, bp version on separate instances? If they are chords maybe as separate instance of single lane piano roll on 3/4 instances, basically breaking down the string or spacing of the chord itself raising / lowering transposition of said strings.
That's just 3 ways, you could also mono them and change the panning placement on the separate instance, leaving them on poly in synth1 instances, sorry I tend to find it hard to explain these things as they are things I have done for years but nobody has asked me or realises I am doing it :)
I'm rambling a bit now, sleep is needed, shame I still have to cook dinner repair a brush cutter, sharpen my tools and ready myself for the next day in the abusive heat 34+ on minimum wage, but such is life, I wish ( not true)I had stuck with my air-conditioning computer job with all the perky trimmings :D
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

See even my spelling is gibberish, nurse, I say nurse, can I have a bed bath please :D
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Hey dee,

You wrote,

Since I have been used to my setup, I don't force myself to change it. Just enjoying reading, learning about hardware synths and midi controllers. :)

I couldn't agree more, its like cooking good food, its all in the preparation, best chefs I know of need a quality knife a clean surface and a wok, like the preparation of a Chinese ( some knowledge of ) Indian, I'm guessing you have an idea about this style.
Get the basics down, ie the heavy lifting, then the extras details can be added once you are accomplished :)
Going out and buying all and not knowing the basics is the sign of
A) amateur
B) too much money

So I wish thee well young( not sure) musical warrior :D
Cook some good beats, bass and strings, then these pleasant things they will bring :)

Eauson wrote:See even my spelling is gibberish, nurse, I say nurse, can I have a bed bath please :D
https://youtu.be/HUMuZY5Bt34?t=112

doctorbob wrote:I have the same issue with a clarinet type sound - once you tone down the higher registers, it starts to sound like a flute - I'm using multiple layers, some eq'd like a flute, some eq'd like a reed instrument, and then trying to mix them for the right "feel"!dB
Yup thats exactly my problem is. Removing or rather said taming those sounds produce different instruments.
Eauson wrote:Ohh, sh**,
I seem to have put my foot in it for the 2nd time today, I really am having a bad one, can I blame it on manflu? As I'm unwell, getting no sleep,m well 3 hrs a night. How :oops: :clap: to me...
I should definitely write this day of in history of my time on the tinternet 1996ish, with my new connection giving me better access!!!
All I heard on the drums, not all, was a crunch, that's what I thought you were referring to.
Hey no problem but I would like to know more about that "crunch" of yours. Maybe you spotted something I'm not aware. Maybe same thing like ] Peter:H [ was talking during Fathom OSC about my drums. Maybe I need to buy new pair of ears, but too bad it is not possible :lol:

TrojakEW wrote:
doctorbob wrote:I have the same issue with a clarinet type sound - once you tone down the higher registers, it starts to sound like a flute - I'm using multiple layers, some eq'd like a flute, some eq'd like a reed instrument, and then trying to mix them for the right "feel"!dB
Yup thats exactly my problem is. Removing or rather said taming those sounds produce different instruments.
Eauson wrote:Ohh, sh**,
All I heard on the drums, not all, was a crunch, that's what I thought you were referring to.
Hey no problem but I would like to know more about that "crunch" of yours. Maybe you spotted something I'm not aware. Maybe same thing like ] Peter:H [ was talking during Fathom OSC about my drums. Maybe I need to buy new pair of ears, but too bad it is not possible :lol:

Okay, so I listened on headphones,
Its not there when your drum roll starts at 34 secs
About 57 sec in when the beat comes in you have the initial hit and there seems to be another addition to the kick/drum that you have synthesised. Has a slight breathy sound, its on its own at 1.46, it may very well be not a mid snare, it seems a bit miss timed/jaggered < this word is not a real word, its more of a feeling than a technical term :)
It could well be interfering with other aspects, @ 1.07 its still in, could try turning it down or removing from the section until the 1.59 mark when the fade starts before the next pulse of the beat occurs. I don't know now, I've concentrated sound on figuring it out that its becoming annoying. :( then @ 3.22 you have a different sounding drum coming in, which seems to fit better, to me anyway.

This really could be me alone, all other aspects seem :tu: 8)
Its seems now to stick out like a sore thumb :roll: :oops:

] Peter:H [ wrote:
Eauson wrote:See even my spelling is gibberish, nurse, I say nurse, can I have a bed bath please :D
https://youtu.be/HUMuZY5Bt34?t=112
:D
Just need an emoji creator now....

Eauson wrote:Okay, so I listened on headphones,
Thanks for listening and observation. The more I listen the more problems I hear there. I need break because somtimes I'm not sure what I hear. :lol:

TrojakEW wrote:
Eauson wrote:Okay, so I listened on headphones,
Thanks for listening and observation. The more I listen the more problems I hear there. I need break because somtimes I'm not sure what I hear. :lol:
:hihi:
Will give a another listen, sleep can relax the vibrations of daily rigger :D

Okay, I must explain something, probably should have from the outset :oops:
I use a tablet for listening, headphone socket into CD input on my amp or Bluetooth, different amp/speakers to listen, my speakers are good, (old, well manufactured), for what I paid for them so I am unsure as to the quality as I am my own technical advisor :D
The problems I'm hearing could also stem from soundcloud, the drums now sound okay, different effect on headphones, its like snakes and ladders :( <is this an :oops: :roll:
I'm getting a lot of highs on my speakers, the little sprinkle effects you have and your hats/snare, very audible, on the strings aswell, sometimes its like chasing your tail :oops: :roll:
Again this could be totally a SC issue or my setup.
I'm sorry for any confusion this may bring, both in decoding my explanation and my lack of technical terminology. :)

Hello everyone!

First time on One Synth Challednge and also my first published track. Wanted to make some "trancy" thing. It was my favorite musical genre in early 10's and I found Synth1 is very capable of producing that kind of sound. Unfortunately, at this moment I don't have any external eqipment, so I mixed it on my laptop with integrated soundcard. By the way, this is my first mixing experience, so this track may sond terrible.

https://soundcloud.com/vca089/my-summer-track-osc-112

DAW: FL Studio

22 instances of Synth1 used.

Effects Used:

x22 Fruity Balace
x28 Fruity Parametric EQ 2
x23 Fruity Limiter
x7 Fruity Compressor
x4 Fruity Stereo Enhacer
x3 Fruity Delay 3
x1 Fruity Reeverb 2
x1 Wave Candy (Metering)

Other Effects:

x2 NastyVCS (Kick and Snare channels)
x4 DensityMkIII (Hihats)
x1 Molot Compressor (Drum Bus)
x4 FAT (Filters)
x1 Overtone GEQ
x2 Marvel GEQ
(Both used for mid/side EQ)
x1 MSED (Mix Bus)
x1 Limiter No6 (Master)
"Some people don't like music created on a PC and declare it as "fake". I don't care. The only thing matters to me is the end result."
SoundCloud YouTube Patreon

VCA-089 wrote:Hello everyone!

First time on One Synth Challednge and also my first published track. Wanted to make some "trancy" thing. It was my favorite musical genre in early 10's and I found Synth1 is very capable of producing that kind of sound. Unfortunately, at this moment I don't have any external eqipment, so I mixed it on my laptop with integrated soundcard. By the way, this is my first mixing experience, so this track may sond terrible.

https://soundcloud.com/vca089/my-summer-track-osc-112

DAW: FL Studio

22 instances of Synth1 used.

Effects Used:

x22 Fruity Balace
x28 Fruity Parametric EQ 2
x23 Fruity Limiter
x7 Fruity Compressor
x4 Fruity Stereo Enhacer
x3 Fruity Delay 3
x1 Fruity Reeverb 2
x1 Wave Candy (Metering)