I call it "early 90s cassette jungle"

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Samuel_S wrote:
Samuel_S wrote:
Vortifex wrote:This honestly sounds like it was recorded off a London pirate station at 2am, or maybe from a live DJ set in a club. You did a pretty good job with the sound overall. I felt the keys at 1:48 didn't quite fit and there was a little bit too much wow for my taste, but other than that I liked it.
I tried my hardest to make it sound good with the free samples I found. But thanks, it  was intended to sound like some bedroom producer sent their mix to some pirate radio station and they just made it on the spot, but that's really how I make music (as a hobby regardless) anyway.
As someone else commented, the beats were perhaps too upfront in the clean version, and it kinda broke the illusion. However, I totally get it. I heard tons of stuff around that time that had been crudely assembled and passed around friends. It's not stuff that would have made it to clubs, but it was played on pirate radio stations. And if it was your intention to capture that vibe, then I think you did a good job.
Yes that was my intention thanks
Kinda surprised that this was a US thing. I thought the real grimy stuff never really hit, elsewhere. Not at that time, at least :shrug:
I'm American yes, but I'm inspired by British music of the 90s and I did quite a bit of research of jungle/drum n bass by going on YouTube, Wikipedia and all that. I think an example of this would be MSX FM from GTA 3 and Liberty City Stories, where they're emulations of British pirate radio stations from the UK but put in video games. Rockstar North had good taste in music and it carried on through me lol.
This is Samuel S. I make music for fun even if it isn't music.

Samuel_S wrote:
JerGoertz wrote:
Samuel_S wrote:
wagtunes wrote:My Feedback (Clean Version)

Music - 7.5
Instruments - 7
Performance - 8.5
Mix - 6

Overall - 7.25

Comments: Intro sounds very muffled. Is it supposed to sound this way, like a genre like thing? Afterwards, percussion is bright but everything else outside of vocals sounds buried. I'll assume this is a genre thing and give it a thumbs up. Very strange track indeed.
I made it low-quality on purpose and weird to give it my own take on early jungle/drum n bass from the early 90s
I really like this, the vibe is just right for me. Could use a little more variation, but what you have isn't out of line for that time, probably.

What did you use to give it the old, degraded sound?
I used Izotope Vinyl for crackling and pitch warping, an old broken synth sample for the beginning, Korg M1 VST for the pianos later in the track. What do you mean by variation? Breaks, notes, vox?
Any kind of variation would be welcome.

Samuel_S wrote:
JerGoertz wrote:What did you use to give it the old, degraded sound?
I used Izotope Vinyl for crackling and pitch warping, an old broken synth sample for the beginning, Korg M1 VST for the pianos later in the track. What do you mean by variation? Breaks, notes, vox?
You rinsed the break out right proper, mate. No problems there.

The main melody got a little repetitive for me, tho. Maybe give it a few variations/embellishments/developments.
A well-behaved signature.

JerGoertz wrote:
Samuel_S wrote:
JerGoertz wrote:What did you use to give it the old, degraded sound?
You rinsed the break out right proper, mate. No problems there.

The main melody got a little repetitive for me, tho. Maybe give it a few variations/embellishments/developments.
I do believe that's fair and I will try that next time!

Samuel_S wrote:
Samuel_S wrote:
Samuel_S wrote:
Vortifex wrote:This honestly sounds like it was recorded off a London pirate station at 2am, or maybe from a live DJ set in a club. You did a pretty good job with the sound overall. I felt the keys at 1:48 didn't quite fit and there was a little bit too much wow for my taste, but other than that I liked it.
I tried my hardest to make it sound good with the free samples I found. But thanks, it  was intended to sound like some bedroom producer sent their mix to some pirate radio station and they just made it on the spot, but that's really how I make music (as a hobby regardless) anyway.
As someone else commented, the beats were perhaps too upfront in the clean version, and it kinda broke the illusion. However, I totally get it. I heard tons of stuff around that time that had been crudely assembled and passed around friends. It's not stuff that would have made it to clubs, but it was played on pirate radio stations. And if it was your intention to capture that vibe, then I think you did a good job.
Yes that was my intention thanks
Kinda surprised that this was a US thing. I thought the real grimy stuff never really hit, elsewhere. Not at that time, at least :shrug:
I'm American yes, but I'm inspired by British music of the 90s and I did quite a bit of research of jungle/drum n bass by going on YouTube, Wikipedia and all that. I think an example of this would be MSX FM from GTA 3 and Liberty City Stories, where they're emulations of British pirate radio stations from the UK but put in video games. Rockstar North had good taste in music and it carried on through me lol.
Haha! Cool! Great that you got to enjoy it, and now having a stab at it :tu: I might have a stab at it myself, one day.

In a weird, nostalgia trip kinda way, I really enjoyed these...

In their own way, both versions capture that early 90s raw, home studio Jungle vibe pretty well...I was there listening and then for a number of years, producing the stuff!:0)

There was a lot more sophisticated Jungle out there as well,(that was more the style that I eventually got into) but you've captured the raw energy of the first 12 months when it blazed across Club Dance Music...

High tempo, frantic, quite badly produced, raw, repetitive music that was there for people to go wild to on the dance floor...

Some of the early Jungle classics were very basic and as repetitive as f**k! A lot of people liked it that way! :0)

Some bits are overdone - vinyl crackle and warp...but then, certain effects were over-used at the time as well...got seriously stupid for a while! :0)

ONE thing does irritate a little bit though, (maybe slightly irrationally):

Using sample loops of drum breaks etc...come on...do it the way it was meant to be done...

Get a funk sample of a song somewhere...chop it up into 16th note segments...mash them up individually...retrograde some...invert some...timestretch some...change the order of the segments etc etc and create your own drum break from scratch!

Oh, and try doing it all on the tiny screen of an Akai S900 sampler! :0)

That's why those early Jungle tracks were so basic...took f**king ages to create just the drums! :)

ChamMusic wrote:In a weird, nostalgia trip kinda way, I really enjoyed these...

In their own way, both versions capture that early 90s raw, home studio Jungle vibe pretty well...I was there listening and then for a number of years, producing the stuff!:0)

There was a lot more sophisticated Jungle out there as well,(that was more the style that I eventually got into) but you've captured the raw energy of the first 12 months when it blazed across Club Dance Music...

High tempo, frantic, quite badly produced, raw, repetitive music that was there for people to go wild to on the dance floor...

Some of the early Jungle classics were very basic and as repetitive as f**k! A lot of people liked it that way! :0)

Some bits are overdone - vinyl crackle and warp...but then, certain effects were over-used at the time as well...got seriously stupid for a while! :0)

Using sample loops of drum breaks etc...come on...do it the way it was meant to be done...

Get a funk sample of a song somewhere...chop it up into 16th note segments...mash them up individually...retrograde some...invert some...timestretch some...change the order of the segments etc etc and create your own drum break from scratch!

That's why those early Jungle tracks were so basic...took f**king ages to create just the drums! :)
Lol I wish I could do some break-chopping and all that but I do everything on a computer which is why everything is kinda crap and most of the sounds on here I got for free. But thanks, I'm glad I'm still getting replies about nostalgia because I have just now crafted a song that's (supposedly) even more nostalgic.

Samuel_S wrote:

Lol I wish I could do some break-chopping and all that but I do everything on a computer which is why everything is kinda crap and most of the sounds on here I got for free. But thanks, I'm glad I'm still getting replies about nostalgia because I have just now crafted a song that's (supposedly) even more nostalgic.
You can do all the chopping you need with a computer, and you still needn't spend a penny ( :hihi: ).

Nearly all the people on this forum use computers to make music, quite a lot of which is no crap :shrug:

Samuel_S wrote:

You can do all the chopping you need with a computer, and you still needn't spend a penny ( :hihi: ).

Nearly all the people on this forum use computers to make music, quite a lot of which is no crap :shrug:
​​​​​

Agreed, but there are so far no software emulations or VSTs replicate/function similarly to old school drum samplers. I only have software samplers that work when you drop in individual .WAV samples but that's it. There is also SliceX on FL Studio but it only slices at original samples pitch/tempo, not the entire project's. So I dunno fam.

Samuel_S wrote:Agreed, but there are so far no software emulations or VSTs replicate/function similarly to old school drum samplers. I only have software samplers that work when you drop in individual .WAV samples but that's it. There is also SliceX on FL Studio but it only slices at original samples pitch/tempo, not the entire project's. So I dunno fam.
Strictly speaking, all you need is an audio editor and some scissors. However, most Daws (and like you say, FLS included) have slicing functionality. Whether you have to time-stretch the audio first, or pitch up/down etc is up to you. But so many people do what you are trying to do.

You are in the right place (KVR) to ask for help if needed, but I'd start with Youtube tutorials and then ask questions if there's anything you don't quite understand. With more knowledge and practise, you'll progress past the point of patching together others' static loops, and will ultimately gain more control of your output :tu:

Samuel_S wrote:there are so far no software emulations or VSTs replicate/function similarly to old school drum samplers.
That's just not accurate at all...

There are so many ways that you can chop up audio clips in music software it's staggering! :0)

Hell, I was doing it in REX file format via RECYCLE on my first PC well over 20 years ago and RECYCLE is still going now.

ALL modern DAWs have this sort of facility built in + there's samplers such as Kontakt which all do it very well. You can even do it quite easily in quality freebies such as Audacity.

A modern computer-based system gives you far more scope for editing than we ever had back in the late 80s / early 90s with hardware -based systems...it's much easier now as well!

Go for it...it's fun! :0)

Samuel_S wrote:but I do everything on a computer which is why everything is kinda crap
99.99999% of everyone making music today, from Hans Zimmer down to kids messing around at home uses a computer of some sort, at some stage when creating music! :0)

I sometimes create 'crap' music...but I NEVER blame my PC or the software on it...it's always MY fault! :0)

I have no words.

wagtunes wrote:I have no words.
And that doesn't happen very often...same with me! :0)

I hope you get your words back ASAP...the Music Cafe needs them!

wagtunes wrote:I have no words.
And yet you still managed four, to express some form of derision :shrug:

Do you perhaps think that your negative experience in this community is at least, in part, due to your own behaviour?

Return to “Music Cafe”