Aurora FM - New Win(32/64) VSTi FM synthesizer - Introductory pricing

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
RyFi
KVRist
135 posts since 1 Feb, 2008 from Regina, SK

Post Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:21 pm

mcbpete wrote:Love the progress on this so far. Would there be any way of changing the current behaviour of the preset and algorithm selection - Maybe a dropdown menu or something? At the moment it's kinda click heavy if (worst case scenario) you couldn't decide between using algorithm 1 or 16 so you keep going between the two, each time having to press the button 15 times !
Thank you!

I've certainly been considering improving the patch management with a proper integrated solution and not relying on the host... But...but...I just don't wanna! :cry: :wink: I probably will. I know I need to, I'm just pretty unenthused about it...

As for the algorithm selection: Geez, way to exaggerate your point by picking the biggest possible gap between algorithms, ya punk! :wink:

I don't love the idea of a drop-down for that. My rationale is that it's not the number that's important, it's the operator layout image, so you really need to click through and see each one to see what the layout is. Your scenario is for when you already know the algorithm number and want quick navigation, which I agree is lacking, but as far as I'm concerned it's a minor occurrence compared to the usual scenario of cycling through and finding them visually. I really don't want a drop-down showing the graphics of the neighbouring algorithms in a column. Nothing else in my GUI pops off the Z-plane and I'd like to keep it that way.

But since there is a valid request for a means of quickly selecting one, I suppose I could augment the step-wise click-cycling with a slider (1-32, super quick to pick a value); that would be the most appropriate and consistent-with-everything-else way of improving this control. Another solution would be to add a modifier key to allow skipping by 5 or 10. Actually, I'm already liking that idea because it's so trivial :-). What do you think?

How important is this to you? Just remember that time spent on one area means sacrificing time spent on something else. I don't want to add a feature unless it's pretty darn useful...

KBSoundSmith
KVRian
706 posts since 6 Jul, 2009

Re: Aurora FM - New Win(32/64) VSTi FM synthesizer - Introductory pricing

Post Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:46 pm

<deleted>
Last edited by KBSoundSmith on Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

mcbpete
KVRian
1231 posts since 24 Jun, 2006 from London, England

Post Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:01 am

RyFi wrote:
mcbpete wrote:...At the moment it's kinda click heavy... !
How important is this to you? Just remember that time spent on one area means sacrificing time spent on something else. I don't want to add a feature unless it's pretty darn useful...
For me personally, It's definitely not a huge issue - Two games I've sunk hours and hours into are Cookie Clicker ( http://orteil.dashnet.org/cookieclicker/ ) and Ginormo Sword ( http://babarageo.com/flash/ginormo/ ) so a few extra clicks on this isn't a problem - Some people might be less click-happy however so thought I'd flag a possible GUI workflow improvement. Dexed does it quite nicely with the algo section having a dial to the side so you can quickly switch between them - So no Z-Plane shenanigans to spoil the current aesthetic :)
Last edited by mcbpete on Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

gentleclockdivider
KVRian
1177 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Re: Aurora FM - New Win64 VSTi FM synthesizer - Introductory pricing

Post Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:20 am

nichttuntun wrote:
sinkmusic wrote: By the way, FM doesn´t need a filter, you are doing sweeps by changing the phase (in fact FM = Phase Distortion)
NO it's not , it's phase modulation
Phase distortion is what bazille does ( amongst others types of synthesis ) as in the casio range of phase distortion synthesizers.
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

KBSoundSmith
KVRian

Post Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:41 am

Okay, I'm an idiot and uploaded the wrong file. Let's try this again...

To test Aurora's bass capabilities, I tried emulating the bass from Michael Jackson's "Baby Be Mine" from the album Thriller. I think I got pretty close, especially working on a pair of tinny headphones.

My patch, tempo matched to the original (110 bpm): https://app.box.com/s/wcjf0xqm7qy562u5k93rl4h9fy434qhw

And here's a link to the relevant portion of Baby Be Mine (@ 2:00): https://youtu.be/COSMzAASQj4?t=119

EDIT: For the sake of my own curiosity, I recreated the patch in Zebra 2.8 as well. Here's the result: https://app.box.com/s/dst0gyolq1hxymni9x7zxozr2bqyqehf

I used Algorithm 1, by the way. So a 2-stack and a 4-stack with feedback (which I emulated in Zebra via the Spectroblend oscillator option). All 6-Op were used.

RyFi
KVRist

Post Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:43 pm

New version up which fixes the potential crash when the ModEnv has a stage with a time of 0 and crosses from one pole to the other. Thanks to KBSoundSmith for discovering that one.
mcbpete wrote:For me personally, It's definitely not a huge issue!
It's funny, you basically let me off the hook, but in the meantime I was thinking about it more and more and then ended up coming around to your point of view and decided I should change it. :lol: I always have an open mind and try to summon the ideal solution... I'm going to replace the click-cycling algorithm image control with a control that uses a slider. Best of both worlds. Mousewheel over the slider to cycle through one algorithm at a time, or slide it to make a quick jump. I need to create a new control, so it'll take some time, but fortunately this is more of a copy-and-paste-code kind of job than anything, and in the end I end up with another control type in my library for future use.
KBSoundSmith wrote: Let's try this again...
Sounds pretty good. I'm wondering if your release time might be a little too quick, and the articulation in your demo doesn't sound exactly the same as the MJ track, but the tonality is pretty dang close! Nice and rubbery. One more thing: are my ears playing tricks on me, or does the MJ bass have a tiny bit of vibrato on it on the 2nd highest note on the descending portion of the melody? It's hard to tell given the other instrumentation going on. My brain might be imagining it.

nichttuntun
KVRist
485 posts since 22 Nov, 2017

Post Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:20 am

Cool. Thank you for figuring out and sharing.
Nice bass demos :tu:

nichttuntun
KVRist

Re: Aurora FM - New Win64 VSTi FM synthesizer - Introductory pricing

Post Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:22 am

gentleclockdivider wrote:
nichttuntun wrote:
sinkmusic wrote: By the way, FM doesn´t need a filter, you are doing sweeps by changing the phase (in fact FM = Phase Distortion)
NO it's not , it's phase modulation
Phase distortion is what bazille does ( amongst others types of synthesis ) as in the casio range of phase distortion synthesizers.
Of course you are right. A small word but a big difference although we both speak of the same thing. Thank you for clearing that matter :tu:

RyFi
KVRist

Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:38 pm

After a bit of a hiatus, I've gotten back to work and have another version:
  • Proper patch management! Aurora FM now maintains its own list of patches and isn't dependent on the host's facilities. Specify a directory for your Aurora FM patches (Settings dialog), and patches there will be loaded into the patch list drop-down. When you save a patch, it will automatically show up in the refreshed list.
  • Envelope copying via drag-and-drop! Just click an envelope and drag it to another one to copy it.
  • Changed the Algorithm selection control to a slider.
  • Fixed the damage I did to the DX patch translation in the previous version :-S.
KBSoundSmith wrote:would it be possible to add copy/paste functionality for the envelopes? That would be an immense time-saver.
Drag and drop envelope copying added!
mcbpete wrote:changing the current behaviour of the algorithm selection
Algorithm selection changed to a slider!

nichttuntun
KVRist

Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:26 pm

Hi Ryan,
cool that you further work on your synth. I had it running this week and I am already very pleased with it :tu:

Thank you and all the best for you.

RyFi
KVRist

Post Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:08 am

nichttuntun wrote:Hi Ryan,
cool that you further work on your synth. I had it running this week and I am already very pleased with it :tu:

Thank you and all the best for you.
Thanks! :tu:

RyFi
KVRist

Post Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:12 pm

Yet another new version!
  • Significant performance improvement
  • Modwheel smoothing. No more potential for clicks/ticks from high rates of modwheel change
  • Improved the log envelope slope. The calculation was previously a less-than-stellar approximation. Now it's an ideal curve with a much more useful response. You may need to tweak some patches to accommodate the change, and I apologize for that, but this change is ultimately an improvement for the best and I think you'll agree
  • Fixed the dither. It previously had DC offset
  • Identified and fixed a disastrous problem that would have been preventing parameter change automation recording from working in sessions with more than one instance of Aurora FM. Obviously either nobody's recording live parameter changes or else nobody's using more than one instance, otherwise this bug would've been reported a long time ago. I'm just happy I caught it before anyone complained.

KBSoundSmith
KVRian

Post Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:07 pm

Nice update, thanks for the hard work. I'll take a look at how it goes on my system and email you if there's anything unexpected.

nichttuntun
KVRist

Post Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:17 am

Thank you very much Ryan and also for your private email information. I do appreciate much that you still care and develop the synth further.

By the way I like your patches on your HP very much. Keep up the great work, the joy and creativity. All the best for you. Cheers.

RyFi
KVRist

Post Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:14 pm

KBSoundSmith wrote:Nice update, thanks for the hard work. I'll take a look at how it goes on my system and email you if there's anything unexpected.
Thank YOU, sir! Please do. :tu:
nichttuntun wrote:Thank you very much Ryan and also for your private email information. I do appreciate much that you still care and develop the synth further.

By the way I like your patches on your HP very much. Keep up the great work, the joy and creativity. All the best for you. Cheers.
And thank YOU! I likewise very much appreciate your help and collaboration and your consistent gratitude, kindness, and public support! Our interactions have been a huge pleasure and it's been very rewarding having such a damn nice chap show so much appreciation for my synth. I really can't say Thank You enough. All the best to you, my good man! :tu:

Return to “Instruments”