Vinyl VST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I’m look to get a Vinyl VST for a few Hip-Hop projects coming up. I would like to simulate the crackle and needle drop and other tone properties etc.
I’m interested in Waves Abbey Road Vinyl and Auditory Vinyl FX. Does anyone know how these compare?

What would you recommend?

I haven't tried the 2 you mentioned but I quite like sonitex stx-1260. It's rather old, but does the job.

XLN's RC-20 is another good choice.

If you haven't tried Izotope's aptly-named (and free) Vinyl, give that a shot.
A well-behaved signature.

You should try Klevgrand Daw Lp. Very good sounding Vinyl Player

Thanks for the suggestions. Do all of these have the needle drop sound.

You can just sample the needle drop. There are tons of free ones. Go to free sound.org and grab one there. Sonitex is by far my favorite, but has issues due to being made with synthedit. RC-20 is great. Speakerphone is the king of this sort of thing, but it’s really expensive so you probably don’t want to cough up that much if it’s not something you use often. Audiothing Vinyl Strip is nice. Izotope Vinyl is good for free, but doesn’t allow much deep editing. For the digital side of the hip hop sound try chipcrusher.

JJ
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Sonitex sounds great, I used to use it all the time though it did sometimes crash my DAW. Nowadays I use RC-20 which is pretty great too. For needle drops just look for samples, there are plenty of great free ones out there.

Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

To get the retro sound authentic, everyone has good suggestions, including using sample for the needle drop. I'm assuming you're on 64-bit, so a lot of free ones only work on 32-bit systems, but here are my suggestions to add to the list:

Vinyl Simulator by Audio Animals - FREE
http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?pl ... or&id=2906
- It let's you play several octaves of MIDI notes to choose the huge repertoire of sampled vinyl. I usually play several notes at once to get a strong vinyl sound. It's also velocity sensitive.

Vinyl Strip by Audiothing - $50
https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... inyl-Strip
- I second the suggestion to this one. In my opinion, it's a great plugin but I can achieve similar and acceptable results by stacking Vinyl by Izotope and Vinyl Simulator by Audio Animals and apply a high and low pass filter. Still, it's well worth the money.

Might I suggest to consider using a broken speaker simulator after the vinyl effect. That's kind of the magic touch that makes vinyl simulators worth the time, sometimes.

As far as the Abbey Road Vinyl, I have it and the crackle sound is just a looped sample. It actually sucks quite bad for such an elegant plugin. That plugin, though...is amazing for giving you a different sounding version of a Mastered track. It's actually quite magical in my honest opinion.

I have to edit this and add something about XLN RC-20. It's probably going to be your best bet to get that extra bit of authenticity. You asked a simple question and you got answers but there's something that the other guys aren't telling you about the RC-20 that makes it somewhat ideal for your intention, and that's the "follow" intensity in the noise section. There's so many more things that I could mention about that plugin that makes it great for retro effects but the one that thing makes that particular plugin unique, to me, is the dynamic reaction it has to the input signal. I don't know of another plugin that reacts to the input signal quite as well (Vinyl Strip sort of but not for Vinyl noise). It's expensive compared to the competition, but it too, is well worth the money.

Anyway, demo everything we've suggested. Stacking is probably going to be your best strategy because neither of the plugins can do every aspect you'd expect to accomplish.
...and the electron responded, "what wall?"

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. After trying a few out I ended up going with Izotope's Vinyl and have downloaded some free needle drop and lift samples :tu:

Return to “Effects”