Fire your singers folks, Vocaloid 5 is here!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

wagtunes wrote:
GearNostalgia wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
GearNostalgia wrote:BTW have anybody here tried Tonio from Zero-G? He seems to have a different tone that I kind of like. But it seems he is only for Vocaloid2 or will that load with the latest version?

https://zero-g.co.uk/products/tonio-vocaloid-2
Only V3 and V4 banks will load into V5.
Too bad, hope there will be nore news voices now with V5.
As long as they're better than Amy and Chris. Of course it's hard to get worse.
Too bad it does not seem like they have opened it up for people to create there own vocies like with UTAU.

GearNostalgia wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
GearNostalgia wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
GearNostalgia wrote:BTW have anybody here tried Tonio from Zero-G? He seems to have a different tone that I kind of like. But it seems he is only for Vocaloid2 or will that load with the latest version?

Too bad it does not seem like they have opened it up for people to create there own vocies like with UTAU.
Actually you can. There are lots of 3rd party voice banks for Vocaloid not made by Yamaha. How you go about doing it? That's an entirely different matter. I do know this much. It's a crap ton of work. Trust me, you DON'T want to do it.

wagtunes wrote:
GearNostalgia wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
GearNostalgia wrote:
wagtunes wrote:

Actually you can. There are lots of 3rd party voice banks for Vocaloid not made by Yamaha. How you go about doing it? That's an entirely different matter. I do know this much. It's a crap ton of work. Trust me, you DON'T want to do it.
Well I red about it in some UTAU forum that it was not possible for regular users. You had to have a special license from Yamaha and some special software too.

GearNostalgia wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
GearNostalgia wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
GearNostalgia wrote:
wagtunes wrote: Only V3 and V4 banks will load into V5.
Well I red about it in some UTAU forum that it was not possible for regular users. You had to have a special license from Yamaha and some special software too.
That's correct. But even if you could get a license and software for free, the process is not for the feint of heart. For one thing, you have to find a vocalist and record all the necessary phonemes, whatever they are. There are tons of them. Then you have to go through the conversion process and "fix" all the problem ones.

A typical voice bank takes a good year to do.

Do you REALLY want to go through all that? If you're that dedicated, a license and some software isn't going to stop you. So that part of it is a non issue.

This isn't something a casual user is going to do. Hell, I wouldn't even want to do it even if I could get Celine Dionne down here to record all the parts.

People do this for the purpose of selling the libraries and making money.

wagtunes wrote:
GearNostalgia wrote: Too bad, hope there will be nore news voices now with V5.
This is what has ultimately persuaded me against Vocaloid at this time.

I was willing to put up with a lot in terms of bugginess and workflow when I was under the impression that, for $250, Amy and Chris would be "state of the art" in terms of diction, intelligibility and sound. But now that I've heard a bunch of demo tracks and read various comments online, Amy and Chris seem to be pretty subpar.

So that means, realistically, I'd have to spend $400 to get the "deluxe" V5 pack (and thus Cyber Diva and Songman) to get any use at all -- and I'm not even wild about Diva. Even then, I might actually consider it, except I'm not paying $400 for software that appears, as of this writing, to still have significant bugs.

So all told, rather than look for an excuse to throw away $400 on my "idealized hypothetical" Vocaloid, I've finally taken a good, hard look at what is actually being offered, and realized that for me, at this time, with the current price, level of usability, and quality of the included Vocaloids, I'm going to have to pass until some of these factors start improving.

SirkusPi wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
GearNostalgia wrote: Too bad, hope there will be nore news voices now with V5.
This is what has ultimately persuaded me against Vocaloid at this time.

I was willing to put up with a lot in terms of bugginess and workflow when I was under the impression that, for $250, Amy and Chris would be "state of the art" in terms of diction, intelligibility and sound. But now that I've heard a bunch of demo tracks and read various comments online, Amy and Chris seem to be pretty subpar.

So that means, realistically, I'd have to spend $400 to get the "deluxe" V5 pack (and thus Cyber Diva and Songman) to get any use at all -- and I'm not even wild about Diva. Even then, I might actually consider it, except I'm not paying $400 for software that appears, as of this writing, to still have significant bugs.

So all told, rather than look for an excuse to throw away $400 on my "idealized hypothetical" Vocaloid, I've finally taken a good, hard look at what is actually being offered, and realized that for me, at this time, with the current price, level of usability, and quality of the included Vocaloids, I'm going to have to pass until some of these factors start improving.
Don't blame you at all.

FWIW, because I'm a stubborn ass mule, I'm doing my first V5 track. I'm dealing with the bounce back and forth between DAW and Editor and starting to build up some speed doing it. It's not ideal but it's not the worst thing in the world.

However, copy and paste is a train wreck. Using the pointer tool and highlighting the part you want to copy, you can only go so far across. With V4, the software would scroll as far as you wanted to go from left to right. With V5, you only get what's in the window. Everything after that, if you want to copy it, you can't. You have to do the one copy, paste it, and then go back and copy the next section of the window after scrolling to that section.

So this is another workflow killer.

I've completed the vocals for this track, thank God. So all I have left it the arrangement. When it's done, I'll post it.

I've decided to use Amy because I wanted to showcase one of the newer Vocaloids. With proper processing and smart use of words, she's not that bad. In fact, she's decent. One thing she doesn't have, which is a plus, is that awful robotic sound along with those Vocoder artifacts. In that respect, she is an improvement over older Vocaloids. I can see myself using her on other tracks.

wagtunes wrote:
rezoneight wrote:I listened to the example you posted of yourself singing with Vocaloid as the backing singer. It sounded better than Vocaloid on its own by a long shot. Suit yourself but I don't think you're doing yourself any favors by refusing to do your own vocals and correcting them.
Doesn't matter what you think. I hate singing. I'm not singing anymore. Case closed.
Yeah I suppose ultimately it doesn't. Doesn't mean you've got to be a douchebag about it. Sorry to bother you.

rezoneight wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
rezoneight wrote:I listened to the example you posted of yourself singing with Vocaloid as the backing singer. It sounded better than Vocaloid on its own by a long shot. Suit yourself but I don't think you're doing yourself any favors by refusing to do your own vocals and correcting them.
Doesn't matter what you think. I hate singing. I'm not singing anymore. Case closed.
Yeah I suppose ultimately it doesn't. Doesn't mean you've got to be a douchebag about it. Sorry to bother you.
Because I'm sick and tired of people telling me Vocaloid sucks and I should sing. You think you're the first one to tell me this? I'm tired of it. Enough already. So yeah, I'm gonna be a douche bag about it if people keep getting on my case about it.

Finished my first Vocaloid 5 track. Kept it simple for a first try. Not easy to work with but tolerable. The lack of sync between DAW and Editor is a real PITA.

Anyway, this is Amy on lead vocal. She doesn't sound all that bad.

(Nothing But) Seasons

Seasons
Nothing but seasons
Shine some joy in my life
Seasons
Nothing but seasons
Free me from pain and strife

Seasons
Nothing but seasons
Bring me back to my home
Seasons
Nothing but seasons
Don't let me be alone

It's so cold
So cold in here
I can't stand the pain
All my life
Waiting for spring
But all I get is rain

Seasons
Nothing but seasons
When I need me a friend
Seasons
Nothing but seasons
As we come to the end

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... lead-vocal

wagtunes wrote:
rezoneight wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Because I'm sick and tired of people telling me Vocaloid sucks and I should sing. You think you're the first one to tell me this? I'm tired of it. Enough already. So yeah, I'm gonna be a douche bag about it if people keep getting on my case about it.
Yeah ... coz you're usually such a pussy cat ...

wagtunes wrote:
rezoneight wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
I'm not sure you noticed but rezoneight kinda gave you a compliment along with some good general advice there.

Unaspected wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
rezoneight wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
I'm not sure you noticed but rezoneight kinda gave you a compliment along with some good general advice there.
People telling me my voice sounds good makes me think they're either tone deaf or crazy. I hear my voice and I cringe. It used to be passable when I was younger. In fact, there were times when it was decent. But now? Forget it. I'd rather walk on broken glass than ever make another recording of me singing.

So can we PLEASE drop this already?

Have you thought about making instrumentals instead?
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

wagtunes wrote:
Unaspected wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
rezoneight wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
People telling me my voice sounds good makes me think they're either tone deaf or crazy. I hear my voice and I cringe. It used to be passable when I was younger. In fact, there were times when it was decent. But now? Forget it. I'd rather walk on broken glass than ever make another recording of me singing.

That's fine and is totally your choice but you were a little rough on rezoneight there. That was your baggage, not his. He might have reminded you it was there but you have the choice as to where it should be stored. Whilst I haven't seen rezoneight's face, I doubt it is suitable for much storage.

wagtunes wrote:
Yes...but since you reminded me, not until I've posted this...https://www.theguardian.com/science/201 ... you-cringe

Do carry on..

Return to “Instruments”