Hard Techno/Schranz kicks

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hiya all I’m hoping to get some help, now Im guessing this has been asked a million times before but tbh I’m struggling. Im trying to get that powerful brassy Hard Techno/Schranz kick. I’ve watched various tutorials and have been trying to recreate in Ableton by loading 2 instances of a kick into impulse. Placing the first beat on 4/4 and the second just off like a bass note. I’m then messing with the attack on the second kick and also some reverb and sidechaining but am not getting the desired effect. Am I on the right track or am I totally wrong? Any help would be appreciated

In my experience, using sidechain makes things harder than they need to be. Try a volume envelope plugin like cableguys or melda (if the free pack have the modulators). Don't underestimate the importance of this step, because that bass whoosh is basically what makes it schranz.

Also, i don't always reach for a reverb to create this effect. More often i'll load a white noise sample into a simple sampler and filter it down to the desired frequencies.
The kicks you're dealing with are usually made from sine-sweeps, so they contain all the frequencies from bass to treble, so using a reverb will give you similar results to using white noise (which also contains all frequencies), but a sample will give you a lot more control and tightness.

After that, blend it with it's distorted self (and low-passed), and slam it through a limiter.

:x

Return to “Production Techniques”