Sektor

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Sektor

I don't see much talk about it on the web, I picked it up during the recent sale and I'm loving it. Currently converting a pack of Massive's wavetables set up for serum I downloaded to it's format... which is kind of laborious and a pain in the ass but I think will be worth it. I really love the dual FX lines... a great idea if you ask me. Only way I can think to make it better is adding more filter types and I'm not a huge fan of the reverb even though it sounds fine, I just think maybe they should add a more "airy" or maybe dense type of reverb, not really sure what people call it but that's how I describe it.

I'm just wondering if anyone here is using it or what KVRians' thoughts are on this synth?
In the future there will be robots!

not much of a synth person myself but it is my favorite recently. and not being a synth person i love it's simplicity. cheers
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

Thanks for the replies, MadDog if you or anyone else wants the tables from Massive I should be done within a few days I would be happy to share.

sure mate... would be most grateful... just PM me if you would. cheers and thnx
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

theorize wrote:Thanks for the replies, MadDog if you or anyone else wants the tables from Massive I should be done within a few days I would be happy to share.
Hi there theorize.

I am also a Sektor owner and love the sound of it, i would also be grateful of a share of the Massive tables sir! :)
Strictly drum and bass

I am mostly dissapointed, as the promised MPE is completely broken and their support doesn't exist or is ignorant. A good sound is useless if I can't play it...

Tj Shredder wrote:I am mostly dissapointed, as the promised MPE is completely broken and their support doesn't exist or is ignorant. A good sound is useless if I can't play it...
Hi, how is it not working for you?

Be aware that MPE Mode has to be enabled in the settings screen and then you can manually route the different MPE dimensions to any parameter in the expression page.

The presets at this moment don't have built in support for MPE, so out of the box most MPE dimensions won't work. But as I said can be routed manualy. We added MPE as an extra feature rather than a core feature as we figured 99% of potential customers won't actually have an MPE device as it is a new technology.

OK I've just finished it up, I've tested the wavetables and all should be good to go but I am wiped it's been a long day, so if anyone spots any that have a flat spot in the wavetable that is something I need to fix, it's likely off by one sample for that wave. Please let me know if you come across that, but I think I caught all my mistakes. I read somewhere that Massive has 85 tables... I have 81. Not sure which ones I'm missing but I'll try to find the rest. Sorry, but "Modern Talking" is missing. Just kidding it's in there. Tomorrow I'll try to find a decent file host. If anyone can suggest one that is reliable I would greatly appreciate that. I did a version that keeps the table numbers (assuming what I have is correct) in case the normal version messes with people that are extremely used to massive, PM me if you think you need that but I'm only going to set up the normal version for hosting. I'll send out PM's to all those that have asked for them so far tomorrow, I'll get a dropbox link for you because I might not have the whole file hosting thing fully sorted tomorrow for sure, I have a few things non-music I need to get done so I may not have a link for the masses yet. Thanks MadDog and Megawattt for giving me reason to get this done quickly. This project has been on the shelf for a good month or two, I'm really glad it's done!

Once I do the maths to figure out how to tune to get the proper sample size I'm going to start working on some other Expansions. One based on Yamaha OPL4 (OPL3+a set of samples that were built into the chip)+ some Yamaha VL (physical modeling) tones and maybe some XG sounds also (this was a really cool sound card back in the day, which I really hope survived the heat when I recently moved) and the Commodore 64 (6581 SID chip). The C64 one is going to have to wait until I get a new joystick or paddle. I'm really interested to see if the C64 wavetables sound anything like a C64 actually does. But there will be samples to go along with them, because I know for a fact that some chip sounds can't be done like that, at least no way I can think of.

I really dig the fact that Sektor is a ROMpler as well. In the next couple weeks I'm also going to sample a box full of random instruments and various noisemaking things (while I'm in the quiet middle of nowhere since I can't afford to rent studio time right now or ever, I'd rather build a studio than pay for studio time) that I've had collecting up for years, you can expect those to end up in an expansion also, along with various noise attacks... I want to try to do some percussive sounds in Sektor. I think I'm going to invoke a very very old standalone synth that I think my be very useful for some of the attacks, along with a bit of foley/found sound kind of stuff :)

Down the line, if there's some interest I might do CODEX's wavetables too, but honestly all the hating people do on it makes me not want to do that, I own CODEX and it's actually a great synth with a sound that's it's own. Some of the criticism's are true, like the oscillators not being all that precise, but I think it just adds to the character of it, and it is kind of a CPU hog, but I've noticed it's not much more than a lot of other synths when the GUI isn't open. The wave import actually works pretty well if you feed it the right waves, I've done some pretty cool acoustic type of sounds that are pretty expressive in the short amount of time I've spent with it. I'll post a couple examples in a different thread when I can get around to it, but Sektor is probably going to keep me busy for a while.

Thomas@InitialAudio, what do you suppose the chances of us getting the EQ points added in as mod destinations? It would be nice...

Thomas@InitialAudio wrote:
Tj Shredder wrote:I am mostly dissapointed, as the promised MPE is completely broken and their support doesn't exist or is ignorant. A good sound is useless if I can't play it...
Hi, how is it not working for you?

Be aware that MPE Mode has to be enabled in the settings screen and then you can manually route the different MPE dimensions to any parameter in the expression page.
Expected result: enable MPE, at least pitchbend has to work! That isn't the case. Its as easy as routing all info sent on one channel to the corresponding voice. Of course I would also expect to route cc74 and/or aftertouch to parameters I want to control, but cc74 isn't even selectable...
Out of responses I suspect none of the programmers ever touched an expressive Midi controller or even read the specs...

At it’s sale price, it seems much more enticing, and I don’t even have a MPE capable controller to test it out anyway. I mentioned this before, but I think if there were some other big-name preset designers making patches for it then it might show off its capabilities better.

theorize wrote:Here they are, enjoy! :)

https://sabercathost.com/5fkk/MassiveWa ... Sektor.zip
Thank you very much theorize :) you are a true gentleman!
Strictly drum and bass

is this worth to buy for 69usd now or serum much better way to go?

Return to “Instruments”