Exercise - Find the scale.

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello, my friends

Here's a small melody which is an exercise to find out the scale and key used.
If I've learned my lessons well, the key is A Maj . This is in fact the A Maj scale arranged in a way to accentuate the A Maj chord (in fact it never leaves that chord).
Obviously, as there are all the A Maj scale notes, we can build all the chords (triads, at least) but, as I say earlier, it seems the I chord is the one emphasized.

Assuming my thoughts are correct, my question is: how should I interpret the function of the non-chord tones (all except the A, C#, E)? Are they what is called passing tones?

Didn't noticed the image was missing. My appologies.

Thanks

Those are all called passing tones (because stepwise approach).

Thanks for the reply, jancivil.
And if they're not stepwise? Simply non-chord tones?

This flash cards bit pretty much covers it.
The word 'dissonance' is used, which is contextual.

https://quizlet.com/182957008/music-the ... ash-cards/

In the first two bars, for ex, the non-chord tones are additionally neighbor tones...Am I correct?

Yep.

BTW, my remark on the flash cards page's use of 'dissonance' was incomplete. They simply mean 'non-chord tone' where a chord tone is expected. I think the word 'dissonance' is not needed. And can muddy the waters.

rbarata wrote:In the first two bars, for ex, the non-chord tones are additionally neighbor tones...Am I correct?
Nonchord tones are classified based on how they are approached and resolved.

Passing tones connect two chord tones by step, (up or down the scale) in the same direction.

Neighbor tones are also approached and resolved by step, but in opposite directions (up-down or down-up).

Unnecessary dichotomy, distinction without a difference.

C# B C# D E: B neighbors the chord tone C# and continues in a scalar passage, passing the chord tone again while moving to the next neighbor, D (which is another neighbor; like any scalar passage over a single chord will show in its passing).

rbarata wrote:Hello, my friends

Assuming my thoughts are correct, my question is: how should I interpret the function of the non-chord tones (all except the A, C#, E)? Are they what is called passing tones?

Didn't noticed the image was missing. My appologies.

Thanks
First of all, you've already found the scale, what you're trying to find are chords.
note that, in your example since all the non-root notes got the same beat, they could actually end up sounding like as if they bunched together as 1 big chord:

Bar 1 (A - C# - D - E): Dmaj9 aka IV9
Bar 2 (C# - D - E - F#): also Dmaj9
Bar 3 (E - G# - A - B): Amaj9 aka I9

Yes, that's another way to see it.
But, as the melody have all the scale notes, we must rely on our ears to find what's being accentuated.

rbarata wrote:Yes, that's another way to see it.
But, as the melody have all the scale notes, we must rely on our ears to find what's being accentuated.
Aand here's the song in wav form:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e9qhtfrmhu5mq ... a.wav?dl=0

Return to “Music Theory”