Looking for atmospheric synth

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Great suggestion, and also good pricing. Thanks!
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

Lots of good synths for this. In my opinion the most important thing for synth emotion is mapped midi knobs so you can really get in there and tweak the variables (filter cutoffs, detuning, etc).

Omnisphere is the pad king imo. For less money I'd consider things with great filters - probably U-he stuff: Repro5 is silky and beautiful. Also Diva & Zebra.

low_low wrote:Lots of good synths for this. In my opinion the most important thing for synth emotion is mapped midi knobs so you can really get in there and tweak the variables (filter cutoffs, detuning, etc).
Yes I agree. Modulation is the key (by programming or instantly). I even find playing with knobs and mod wheel leads to more interesting results to the already great atmospheric pads.

mgw38 wrote:"No samples" and "low cost" rules that out somewhat but imho the by far best atmospheric pads instrument is Luftrum Lunaris for the Kontakt Player.
I have found a lot to like in the Luftrum sound set for iZotope Iris: 'Luftrum 10' https://www.luftrum.com/luftrum10/

Watch the demo video by Nicky Bendix!
Windows 10 and too many plugins

SparkySpark wrote:
simon.a.billington wrote: You can also layer simpler pad sounds to get something more lush or to add more motion. The advantage here is the sparse layers can be panned independently or processed differently with eq, compression, reverb delay or whatever. This has scope to create some incredibly complex or detailed sounds that you couldn’t get for a standard plugin.
This is an interesting concept indeed. I have layered bass sounds, snare drum sounds etc in the past, but never pads. In addition to what you state above, they also have the advantage of the included pads being able to change over time via automation, such as going down in volume during verses.

Thanks for the brilliant idea!
My secret weapon for interweaving the layers is Shaperbox by Cableguys
Last edited by martinjuenke on Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

simon.a.billington wrote:
inkwarp wrote:Alchemy.
...if you have Logic.
Who the hell doesn‘t have Logic? :hihi:

Thanks Martin. You seem to have them all! :D
Go MuLab!

zzz00m wrote:
mgw38 wrote:"No samples" and "low cost" rules that out somewhat but imho the by far best atmospheric pads instrument is Luftrum Lunaris for the Kontakt Player.
I have found a lot to like in the Luftrum sound set for iZotope Iris: 'Luftrum 10' https://www.luftrum.com/luftrum10/

Watch the demo video by Nicky Bendix!
Very nice. Thanks!
Go MuLab!

martinjuenke wrote:
simon.a.billington wrote:
inkwarp wrote:Alchemy.
...if you have Logic.
Who the hell doesn‘t have Logic? :hihi:
Haha!!... Well it's my main and ONLY DAW I work with. Writing, arranging, recording, mixing, mastering, audio-post, it will handle it all with spectacular results. It's the only DAW I need really.

The days of "which DAW is best" are long gone. It's what ever DAW suits your workflow and what exclusive features do you need. Though, it doesn't stop people asking that silly question from time to time.

Well, I for one don't think anything beats Logic.
Go MuLab!

SparkySpark wrote:Well, I for one don't think anything beats Logic.
Unless you are running a PC ... :D
Windows 10 and too many plugins

SparkySpark wrote:Well, I for one don't think anything beats Logic.
Long Logic user here, Cubase, except bundled stuff, that's Logic, than few places blank, than rest, but everything else concerned, Cubase owns it in every single department.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Running a turd through Valhalla Shimmer makes me cry, so any of the aforementioned synths plus this:

https://valhalladsp.com/shop/reverb/valhalla-shimmer/

(This would make a hilarious "guess the synth")
https://soundcloud.com/seancostello/mon ... mmerdrones

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”