Synth review: 25 Labels, 123 free VST instruments and an Ambient Song

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's not much time since my previous review on 32 general-purpose synths, and I am ready to present the second one. This time it's not individual synthesizers that compete, but combis of synthesizers provided by a single label (developer) at a time.

In other words, for a test song (i.e. an ambient song), 25 different versions were created using each time 5 free VSTis from a different label/developer/company. Each version is available to let your ears to be the final judge.

In total, 123 free VSTis were used for this review.

I discuss my experience as I try to fit the needs of an ambient song into the combis. Individual synthesizer capabilities also have the chance to be discussed.

Based on the findings throughout the making of a song using the synths of a developer, each developer gets rated, and there is a winner.

http://r-project-thanos.blogspot.com/20 ... s-and.html

All comments are welcome,

Thanos

------------------------------------------------------
HW: HP i5@2.50GHz 64 bit, 8GB RAM, Access Virus TI2, Clavia Nord Lead A1, Novation Peak, Roland SH-101, Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland SH-201, Yamaha TG-500, Roland JV-1080, Behringer Neutron, Yamaha Clavinova, D-tronic (drums), Focusrite Scarlett 6x6, Behringer Xenyx 1002, Samson Graphite 49, E-MU Xboard 49, Omnitronic FAD-9, Doepfer Dark Link, SW: Cubase 9.5, Melodyne 9, Nora, Scaler, Magic A/B, jBridge
Last edited by ttsakonas on Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:09 am, edited 6 times in total.

Hey, you must've put a LOT of time into doing that! Respect due for that. No doubt that will be useful for many new starters.

I'm curious, did you build all sounds from scratch, or did you use the available presets to get the sound started?

Hi,
I took some time indeed to do this review. Regarding the sounds, I was starting always by scanning the available presets from every synth, and if I would find something that it could be used as a basis, I was continuing from there. Otherwise, I was building from scratch. There was not one single case were the sound didn't need manipulation, though, as I tried to approach the original sounding as possible. With this, I confirm that the existence of many patch banks is a good bonus for a synth, but the true advantage in a synth is how you'd figure (rather quickly) the signal routing and the workflow so as to produce/customize your sound (and also enjoy your experience). On the other hand, of course, the synth must also support some standard (or advanced) features, for some types of sounds.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”