Your next guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Lol. I remember my first bass. It was a very cheap Cort Precision knock-off. The body was, anyways. There was no headstock—the tuners were Steinberger style. It was damn fugly! :D
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Honestly I forgot what the brand was on my first bass. It was a precision knock off as well. Loved playing it couldn't for too long. It was all to strange after playing an electric bass then going back to electric guitar with super slim, super low action guitar.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

machinesworking wrote:Looking to get a hollow body Gretsch with a Bigsby. Torn between spending real money on one with the treble switch I want, or a more realistic price range. Probably should go to a local store that has some and see if I really can justify the more expensive models.
I've had a Japanese Gretsch with the classic Filtertron pickups and a Korean with some P90-ish pickups (though I think they were still hum canceling). The Japanese one had all the chime that people expect from a great Gretsch. The Korean one sounded dull in comparison, although it had a great jazz box tone and was ultimately better for session work. How many times have I been asked to play or sound like Brian Setzer on a gig? The answer: 0.

looks like Davisons might be becoming 'a thing'... used to be able to get them in ebay auctions for as low as $35-$40 including shipping. recently, i'd posted a couple here which had been around $50. today, there's a black one being bid up to $61 + shipping, for over $80 total. maybe the Davisons are 'arriving'... maybe the days of $40 Davisons are over.

maybe it's this 'trade war thing' which might be heating up, and people are like 'i gotta get my davison now'...

Importing from China is already getting more expensive.

Not surprising. The obvious response would send my post to Hyde Park
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

I contacted a counterfeiter on AliExpress and got a guitar made from scratch, it's not great to play, but it looks cool and was really cheap... I know you shouldn't support them, but there are few options for us lefties.

As far as counterfeits go, I think only the headstock is an issue? Also, this is sufficiently different from any Gibson ever made that it's not like you're trying to fool anyone.

an-electric-heart wrote:I contacted a counterfeiter on AliExpress and got a guitar made from scratch, it's not great to play, but it looks cool and was really cheap... I know you shouldn't support them, but there are few options for us lefties.

Whats the name of that guitar in aliexpress?

Uncle E wrote:As far as counterfeits go, I think only the headstock is an issue? Also, this is sufficiently different from any Gibson ever made that it's not like you're trying to fool anyone.
For sure, they are the same people who make "Chibsons", but they can also just be contacted and used to make really cheap custom guitars. So long as you tell them to leave off the Gibson logo, and put something personalised on the headstock, I personally don't think there's an issue. I doubt you'd fool anyone anyway, I've owned a real Gibson SG Standard, they're thin and light. That guitar is heavy and clunky like the cheapest Epiphone SGs are.

Amram wrote:
an-electric-heart wrote:I contacted a counterfeiter on AliExpress and got a guitar made from scratch, it's not great to play, but it looks cool and was really cheap... I know you shouldn't support them, but there are few options for us lefties.

Whats the name of that guitar in aliexpress?
Like I said, it's custom. I found someone who sells SGs, I mocked up what I wanted in Photoshop, said "Can you make this?", they said "yes". But, it's a risk, you might get a total piece of junk. Search "Chibson review" on Youtube, some are good, some are write-offs.

Uncle E wrote: The Korean one sounded dull in comparison, although it had a great jazz box tone and was ultimately better for session work. How many times have I been asked to play or sound like Brian Setzer on a gig? The answer: 0.
I'm not a session musician, so I'm looking to complement the Gibson Les Paul here.
Ended up deciding against a hollow or semi and instead am getting the Gretsch Jet, hollow core VS hollow body.

an-electric-heart wrote:For sure, they are the same people who make "Chibsons", but they can also just be contacted and used to make really cheap custom guitars. So long as you tell them to leave off the Gibson logo, and put something personalised on the headstock, I personally don't think there's an issue. I doubt you'd fool anyone anyway, I've owned a real Gibson SG Standard, they're thin and light. That guitar is heavy and clunky like the cheapest Epiphone SGs are.
Here's an example of that, anyone who knows Fenders can tell it's a fake from a mile away:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ST-dual ... autifyAB=0

780658E0-DC48-4686-9832-4B10B9359596.jpeg
It’s a very rare thing when I can contribute to this topic. About twenty years ago I got a cheap Rogue bass from Sam Ash, which is the only bass I’ve ever had and total garbage. I’ve just rectified that situation with a Fender American Elite Precision with active preamp and three way tone control in sunburst. It plays like a dream and sounds fantastic!

Also, as a bedroom musicians and mostly a keyboardist, I’ve never had any way to get decent tone, aside from Guitar Rig or my cheap little Vox practice amp. I wanted some way to get better sound for both bass and guitar now that I have better instruments. After some debate and lots of YouTube reviews, I picked up a Line 6 Helix floorboard and a whole bunch of impulse responses from 3 Sigma Audio. I think I might eventually add a Line 6 Powercab to that, although I can’t ever really play at volume around here. I’m so happy with my new toys!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by deastman on Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Still saving, probably gonna go for a Lowden instead of a Brook. Might take me another year to eighteen months though!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lov_ystdnUA

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”