Announcing Nektar PACER MIDI Foot-Controller

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Mathias,

There isn't an editor app but Pacer is much easier to program than the FCB 1010. But I feel it shouldn't really be necessary to change controller assignments in the hardware, if you plan to control software. Allowing your DAW or the plug-in to handle parameter mapping allows for more flexibility and more transparent setup (but that also depends on the DAW/plug-in).

Amp sim software like Amplitube and Guitar Rig are difficult targets for automatic mapping because they don't provide a fixed set of parameters. In fact they can have different sets of parameters on a per preset basis. We found that to be the case when developing the Panorama series. With that in mind we created presets for Pacer which are suited to the MIDI Learn functions of those plug-ins (presets D3 and D4). There are also presets dedicated to sending program change messages, which can be used to select patches in those plug-ins.

I'm afraid I've made things sound more complicated than they are. I think folks will be pleasantly surprised by the relative ease of setup.

We have a promo video for Pacer now. Most of our dealers have already sold out of their stock but more shipments should be coming through soon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmgRPm8wBpE

I hope to get some tutorials videos done over the weekend.

Good point about the editing software, the fcb was a total pain to program "by foot". This looks like the first serious (and smaller) rival to the FCB (which they consistently refuse to update)

Justin 3am I will say it again but this is a complex unit and a major pain to program without an editor, to the point that after a month with it, I have given up on it until an editor is released. I just don't have the time to work with the unit in its current form.

You have built such power into the unit, but expect users to spend interminable hours with a 1980's styled editing interface, that is at best frustrating to use to establish the most basic custom functionality out of the unit.

Its such a missed opportunity on Nectars part. A well priced, well engineered high functionality device let down by the most basic requirement - user interface / friendliness.

As a standalone Ableton / Logic controller there are some positives but even those presets are half baked at the moment.

Was the unit beta tested with third parties ? The feedback would have been the same as mine above, regards.

Sorry for the delayed response.
I was also under the impression that we would get a lot of requests for a software editor but so far we have not had many. In fact, I was surprised to find that, most of the Pacer users I have talked to, don't plan to connect it to a computer at all. And most of those who have been editing Pacer's functions have said that it's a simple process, when compared to our competitors products.

If you have specific questions about setting up functionality, please don't hesitate to ask. I am always happy to help.

Creating an editor application for Pacer is a high priority for us but that doesn't mean it will happen quickly. We don't want to rush something which doesn't meet the expectations of our customers.

"If you have specific questions about setting up functionality"
Basics such as:
How to name a preset?
How to copy a preset?
How to select expression pedal assign in the edit menu ?

Re the SW editor, come on we are in 2018, software integration is an accepted standard. For complex use (which you product is more than capable of) its essential.

Thanks

Also global midi channel per preset

Sorry for the late response.
All of those topics are covered in the in the user guide but we also have steps by steps instructions on this page: Creating and Customizing Presets for Pacer

There is a Global channel, which can be set from the Global menu (press the [Preset] stomp switch, turn the data encoder to select 'Global', then press the encoder button, Global Channel is the first option in this menu. However, this setting applies to any control whose channel is set to '0', in any preset. If you want to change the channel on a per preset basis, you will need to change the channel for each control. Instructions for doing so can also be found on the page linked above.
Last edited by justin3am on Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

When there's some editing software, I'll certainly buy one. The ease of copying presets/banks, naming them and most importantly backing up are a priority for me. Please don't wait for a third party to do it...

I want to control two Ableton loopers. MPTB, 1/2 speed, multiply, divide, reverse and exp for loop decay. This shouldn't be a problem right?

edited

I see it has foot switch inputs. Could I buy this: https://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/FM6 ... tswitch.gc
or this:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... oot-switch

and use it as way to add 2 more foot switch controls to Pacer - specifically to be used to control functions in Cubase? Or is the footswitches only used for sending off preset or configurations for the pacer pedalboard? Manual is hard to follow on this topic, and videos are non-existant.

Thanks!

jackmazzotti wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:00 pm I want to control two Ableton loopers. MPTB, 1/2 speed, multiply, divide, reverse and exp for loop decay. This shouldn't be a problem right?

have you seen this?
could be worth looking at for your specific needs...
viewtopic.php?f=102&t=514653

(sorry justin :hihi: ;) )

This product I hope is just step 1.
It has great features, some like the Physis K4 I use that costs 10 times the price.
But the Physis K4 is what us live performers call a dream.
I don’t need more than this Master MIDI Controller w/ 8 zones, that make up a scene with 4 x BCF 2000 layouts, of which there are 4 in each of the 128 performances.
If you can build something that does half of what it does Id still pay 10 times the price.
I’m sure my fellow road warriors woulda swell. Guys who don’t use the K4 yet would probably like this. I’ll be talking to a few of them.
I’d love to gave just a surface half as good as the K4 then run a pair of 4 zone cheap disposable controllers since the K4 seems to be special order now. These guys make a fortune building top dollar organs so these are not as important.

I’ll ge watching nectar though and hope you continue this path.

I run racks of dusrete audio synths like the Code 8 and others, also dual 1U PCs I build myself for sampled instruments.

MIDI makes me money, which is why 2,000 bucks is a small investment considering It pays for itself in a couple weeks.

Yippee KaiYaa, make the Pacer 2 and do like at the K4.
If you can score half of that in a module it’s worth a couple large.

Cheerx
Last edited by diaper@ky on Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sorry duplicate post.
Why no delete?

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”