What is it about Sylenth1 ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

recursive one wrote:The only Sylenth preset which is still relevant is Arp 303 Saw. Everything else is a waste of ones and zeroes
:hihi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeyLI3xgQok
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

gentleclockdivider wrote:
Benjamin923 wrote:Sylenth came out in 2006, gentleclockdivider. Not 2008.
Well o.K. then .
Lot's of good vst's preceded sylenth ,Fabilter twin (original ) 2005 (fabfilter twin 2 cam later ) , reaktor ., altough it's primary modules are now a bit dated sounding ...but hey ..reaktor dates back from the eary generator days 1998 ..
Vaz modular , etc...
SAying that sylenth was the first good sounding vst , is just utter bullocks...somehow shows the guy is just a youngster ...and the world only started turning when he found out about it .
. he said one of not the first.
which it kinda was, it was definitely one of the first that could be said to have gone "mainstream" that is still around. vaz as much as i loved it (my first purchase in the software instruments world) is sadly no more :( and didn't really go big, not like sylenth (which ive never even tried so not a fan boy) or massive for example, there has to be a reason it's stuck around despite computers and newer vsts offering more?
as said above, the cracked version probably helped it go huge. idiot producers using the cracked version in fm videos probably also added a few new users.

vurt wrote:idiot producers using the cracked version in fm videos probably also added a few new users.
Few legions. :hihi:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

well, yeah :hihi:

millions!!!!

10 years ago Sylenth1 was the poor man's Virus. Today it's replaced by Spire and Viper. Maybe some day Access will release a Virus VSTi, or an upgraded version.

Tek's Law: Every thread about synths at KVR if it runs long enough will eventually mention the Access Virus or claim "hardware is better than software". :lol:

I personally think it's the rapid pace of development that has kept Sylenth 1 in popularity..... :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

mitchiemasha wrote:It was one of the 1st really good synth VST's
I think that is it. Has been surpassed by a couple of newer synths for me now, though. Neither the filters are particularly well analog modelled ones, nor is the sound very beefy. It's rather the sum of it parts, i guess, and, again, "it was one of the 1st really good synth VST's". And its supersaw still is one of the best available now, that's why it probably is still a thing for the respective genres.

Apart from that, i agree with izonin. Those are the synths i'd use nowadays. Especially Spire has a more "modern" sound IMO, with a big sweet spot, and very little need to process the hell out of it to make it sound good. The effects are massively better than those in Sylenth1. Especially the EQ and the Chorus sound a little weak IMO in Sylenth1.

I keep using it because unfortunately there is nothing yet which offers me a better compromise.
I.e. subtractive synthesis, clean, pleasant sound, CPU-efficient, user-friendly "hardware" GUI, reliable, reasonable, i.e. not exaggerated feature set, etc.

Teksonik wrote:Tek's Law: Every thread about synths at KVR if it runs long enough will eventually mention the Access Virus or claim "hardware is better than software". :lol:
Access Virus is better than any software. This is an undebatable fact which should be mentioned in any thread in order to keep people infromed.

:D
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

chk071 wrote:Especially Spire has a more "modern" sound IMO, with a big sweet spot, and very little need to process the hell out of it to make it sound good. The effects are massively better than those in Sylenth1. Especially the EQ and the Chorus sound a little weak IMO in Sylenth1.
Funny, I love the chorus :hihi: The eq lacks a third band (which I use the phaser for, instead), but what it does, it does well.

I don't care about analog-modeled filters. Oddly, that whole analog thingy used to be one of the reasons people applauded it for. But I suppose that might have been a relative thing as people were not used to authentic-sounding plugins a decade ago.
Last edited by fluffy_little_something on Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

i've (don't laugh) gotten rid of it twice (sold my license), so am now on my third-go-round with it; (yes, i've bought it 3 times). i keep coming back to sylenth1 because of it's sound, and because it's FUN to use (altho it now lives alongside other plugins like spire, cypher2, etc etc).

fluffy_little_something wrote: I don't care about analog-modeled filters. Oddly, that whole analog thingy used to be one of the reasons people applauded it for. But I suppose that might have been a relative thing as people were not used to authentic-sounding plugins a decade ago.
I used to not care about them either, but, frankly, having heard some of the top analog modelled soft synth's filters, i really wished one of the "flagship" synths would have at least remotely similar filters. Closest is Dune 2. Unfortunately (can only repeat it again and again), i'm not extremely fond of its overall sound, so, what i use has to do. If Spire would have some more "analog" filters, i wouldn't even think of using anything else for what it does. The filters have a very nice and warm character, but, they lack that resonant behavior Dune's or, also, Hive's filters have. They sound so cold compared though. :(

So, yeah, hope they get those filters in that analog ballpark. I don't think it's impossible.

Teksonik wrote:"hardware is better than software". :lol:
Well you try hitting a burglar over the head with software.

chk071 wrote:I used to not care about them either, but, frankly, having heard some of the top analog modelled soft synth's filters, i really wished one of the "flagship" synths would have at least remotely similar filters. Closest is Dune 2. Unfortunately (can only repeat it again and again), i'm not extremely fond of its overall sound, so, what i use has to do. If Spire would have some more "analog" filters, i wouldn't even think of using anything else for what it does. The filters have a very nice and warm character, but, they lack that resonant behavior Dune's or, also, Hive's filters have. They sound so cold compared though. :(

So, yeah, hope they get those filters in that analog ballpark. I don't think it's impossible.
Dune and Hive sound cold? Just asking, not sure I know which synth you mean...

Being allergic to aggressive sounds, I don't care about resonance, anyway. And if a filter doesn't self-resonate at all, even better :hihi:

fluffy_little_something wrote: Dune and Hive sound cold? Just asking, not sure I know which synth you mean...
IMO, yes. I'm sure one of the usual suspects will give me a :smack: again for that though, and that's ok. :) Seems like "warm" and "cold" is highly subjective. At least Dune 2 isn't the coldest synth i ever used though. Still, other stuff sounds warmer to me. Hive on the other hand... seems pretty cold. Like Bazille.

Return to “Instruments”