What is it about Sylenth1 ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fluffy_little_something wrote:
Examigan wrote:This is a track I made 7 years ago. All Sylenth1 except Battery 3 for the drum/percussion track.

https://soundcloud.com/examigan/blueshift
That sounds wild and hectic, what genre is that?! 8)
No idea...I think I had too much coffee that day. :hihi:

chk071 wrote:It's Hectic Electric.

Ok, i just made that up. Seems like a mélange of different styles. Old school House, Rave, Trance, and others.
It’s a bit all over the place I guess -hehe :)

I like it though. :)

Examigan wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:
Examigan wrote:This is a track I made 7 years ago. All Sylenth1 except Battery 3 for the drum/percussion track.

https://soundcloud.com/examigan/blueshift
That sounds wild and hectic, what genre is that?! 8)
No idea...I think I had too much coffee that day. :hihi:
Reminds me of this :hihi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0b1tdAfW2I

I wasn’t into preset design quite yet back then. I mean, I made a few before I bought OP-X Pro II, but these two songs both use built-in presets of Sylenth1 that might have been used in other songs at that time (who knows...).

Anyway here is the other one, again using just Battery 3 and Sylenth1:

https://soundcloud.com/examigan/metropolis

chk071 wrote:I like it though. :)
Thanks! :)

Although i like sylenth1, it has been superseded/surpassed by other vst's, imho.

The lack of a proper pwm parameter still annoys me.

Synths like Icarus, Dune2, Diva, Largo (and a couple others) give me way more control, sound as good as or better (to my ears that is) and have a huge overlap with S1.

I rarely open S1 because of this...
But still, a pretty good "starter"-synth for sure

Can only +1 on that.

chk071 wrote:
do_androids_dream wrote:
DJ Warmonger wrote:Sylenth1 (2006) may seem a bit dated today, but nonetheless thousands of releases were made with this synth :party:
Yes.. and still nothing sounds better 12 years on.
I wouldn't say that. But, there's surely some truth that soft synths took a long time to get anywhere near even VA hardware synths in terms of sound. And, again, i don't mean super clean, aliasing free oscillators, and the latest ZDF tech in filters. I mean punchy, rich, fat sound like you get in the older Waldorf hardware synths, the Virus, and the Nord Lead synths. No idea why soft synths often sound so weak, flat, and soft. Seems like the softies developer's soft spot.
Yes.. and still I think Sylenth is the closest to what you describe about hardware. Folks keep mentioning Spire and Hive - neither of these have the fatness or warmth or presence of Sylenth to my ears.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

when you say warmth, can you be more specific before tek explodes.

Halonmusic wrote:Its ok. I prefer Synth1
+1 sir. :tu: :tu: :clap: :clap:
:tu: All is good

do_androids_dream wrote:
chk071 wrote:
do_androids_dream wrote:
DJ Warmonger wrote:Sylenth1 (2006) may seem a bit dated today, but nonetheless thousands of releases were made with this synth :party:
Yes.. and still nothing sounds better 12 years on.
I wouldn't say that. But, there's surely some truth that soft synths took a long time to get anywhere near even VA hardware synths in terms of sound. And, again, i don't mean super clean, aliasing free oscillators, and the latest ZDF tech in filters. I mean punchy, rich, fat sound like you get in the older Waldorf hardware synths, the Virus, and the Nord Lead synths. No idea why soft synths often sound so weak, flat, and soft. Seems like the softies developer's soft spot.
Yes.. and still I think Sylenth is the closest to what you describe about hardware. Folks keep mentioning Spire and Hive - neither of these have the fatness or warmth or presence of Sylenth to my ears.
Seems rather subjective... There are some sounds with Sylenth where I particularly like the shimmery high end... but besides that I think it sounds kinda weak... especially the low end.

I think it deliberately sounds a bit flat, that's why there is an equalizer, basically bass and treble controls, unfortunately no third band, though.
(Same with Wave Element, its bass is not very pronounced, but there is a nice equalizer to change that.)
If Sylenth1 did not have the EQ and the phaser, I would not be using it, frankly.
Then again, that applies to every soft synths I have tried so far.

There are a few things that Sylenth just nailed.

1) The unison/supersaw sounds fantastic. Very easy to dial in just the right amount, and it sounds good everywhere. A lot of synths have a small unison sweet spot, Sylenth has a massive one.

2) The filter sounds good. It doesn't sound analogue, it doesn't sound fat and dirty, it just sounds good.

3) The envelopes are made of voodoo. I don't know how Lennar did it, but the envelopes are always 'just right'.

The sum of these parts mean that especially for dance music, it's very easy to dial in a really good basic sound VERY quickly. It's as if Lennar predicted was dance music would want for the next decade.

tehlord wrote: 3) The envelopes are made of voodoo. I don't know how Lennar did it, but the envelopes are always 'just right'.
You're right. Sylenth1's envelopes sound great. Actually, that's an often underrated thing in my opinion, and can make the difference between a weak sound, and a very punchy, aggressive, powerful sound. Also can make the difference between a organic sound, and a synthethic, plastic-y/whatever sound.

Return to “Instruments”