[announce] VeeSeeVST Rack VST2 plugin

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
VCV Rack

koshdukai wrote:
bionrg wrote:Question for the Reason users,
how do you go on about using the learn function to assign a control?

For example when i click to open the CV programmer on the VEESEEVEE_instr (vst), then hit Learn for CV 1 for example,
VCV will popup and i would think that i then have to wiggle a knob, lets say VCF cut-off of the VCF module.
And then that would be assigned to the CV 1 parameter of the VEESEEVEE plugin.
But when i wiggle the cut-off knob of the VCF module nothing happens, the CV 1 Learn function stays "waiting" .

How is this supposed to work, i thought this is how i normally do it.

thanks!
That would be how you would go about it, yes, but VeeSeeVST isn't exposing (named, fixed list of) parameters like Reason is expecting from a regular VST, so it's like there's no VST parameters at all coming from VeeSeeVST, from Reason's point of view.[..]
Reason happens to be my main DAW but it has its flaws. Rumour has it that the number of VST params supported by Reason is limited to 128. This plugin has 9999 parameters (the number of VST params cannot be dynamic, so this is set to the upper limit).
Apparently Reason simply shows no params at all if that limit is exceeded. There's nothing I can do about this.
EDIT: and that rumour is plain wrong. see August 17th release notes.

Reason is currently the only DAW (that I know of) where the VST parameters do not work.
Please contact Propellerhead's support and ask them to support more (all) parameters (but don't get your hopes up too high).

My workaround is to use a "meta host" VST plugin (i.e. a VST that can load other VSTs, you can see a work-in-progress glimpse of it in the video linked in the first post of this thread). This also lets me work around the MPE / multichannel MIDI issues in Reason since it uses its own MIDI ports.

In other news: NRG70 on GitHub requested a couple of modules so here's an update:

Changelog:

Code: Select all

** August 14th, 2018
- fix shared_lib build
- add module 21kHz.D_Inf
- add module 21kHz.PalmLoop
- add module ImpromptuModular.Tact
- add module ImpromptuModular.TwelveKey
- add module ImpromptuModular.Clocked
- add module ImpromptuModular.MidiFile
- add module ImpromptuModular.PhraseSeq16
- add module ImpromptuModular.PhraseSeq32
- add module ImpromptuModular.GateSeq64
- add module ImpromptuModular.WriteSeq32
- add module ImpromptuModular.WriteSeq64
- add module ImpromptuModular.BigButtonSeq
- add module ImpromptuModular.SemiModularSynth
- add module ImpromptuModular.BlankPanel
- update module LindenbergResearch.SimpleFilter
- update module LindenbergResearch.MS20Filter
- update module LindenbergResearch.AlmaFilter
- update module LindenbergResearch.ReShaper
- add module LindenbergResearch.VCO
- add module LindenbergResearch.Westcoast (preview)
The Westcoast (waveshaper) module is still work in progress. Only the "Lockhart" and "Serge" type settings work and I had to limit the maximum gain to prevent a subsequent Fundamental.VCF from permanently going quiet).
However, it does sound promising, so once the dev updates / finishes the module, I'll merge the changes into the VSVR repo and create another release.

veeseevstrack_0_6_1_win64_bin-14Aug2018.7z
Last edited by bsp804 on Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

So... :)
If i don't want to take anyones precious time asking 100s of such questions, is there a database of ALL plugins for VCV/VeeSee Rack somewhere which i could search if i wanted for example a simple module that delays the signal by the number of samples of my choice ?
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Mutant wrote:So... :)
If i don't want to take anyones precious time asking 100s of such questions, is there a database of ALL plugins for VCV/VeeSee Rack somewhere which i could search if i wanted for example a simple module that delays the signal by the number of samples of my choice ?
That database is built right into the app / plugin.

When you scroll down in the modules list, you'll find a list of categories.
Click on "Delay", and you'll find the "SampleDelay" module, which seems to do exactly what you asked for.

bsp804 wrote:
Mutant wrote:So... :)
That database is built right into the app / plugin.

When you scroll down in the modules list, you'll find a list of categories.
Click on "Delay", and you'll find the "SampleDelay" module, which seems to do exactly what you asked for.
Thanks, but that doesn't include ALL plugins ever made for VCV/VeeSeeVST Rack, only those you ported into the VST version ? :)
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Hi,
I am new to modular world, so I am here to ask if it’s possible that someone share some preset so I can have a point to start from?
Thanks in advance!
Luciano

bsp804 wrote:
Reason happens to be my main DAW but it has its flaws. Rumour has it that the number of VST params supported by Reason is limited to 128. This plugin has 9999 parameters (the number of VST params cannot be dynamic, so this is set to the upper limit).
Apparently Reason simply shows no params at all if that limit is exceeded. There's nothing I can do about this.

Reason is currently the only DAW (that I know of) where the VST parameters do not work.
Please contact Propellerhead's support and ask them to support more (all) parameters (but don't get your hopes up too high).

My workaround is to use a "meta host" VST plugin (i.e. a VST that can load other VSTs, you can see a work-in-progress glimpse of it in the video linked in the first post of this thread). This also lets me work around the MPE / multichannel MIDI issues in Reason since it uses its own MIDI ports.

In other news: NRG70 on GitHub requested a couple of modules so here's an update:

veeseevstrack_0_6_1_win64_bin-14Aug2018.7z
Thanks a bunch for the fast modules update!

And ok, i'll patiently wait for your VST host.
I learned over the years that asking for the useful stuff from the giant old dinausors leads to very little or no response,
so i'll gladly wait for the inventive and creative generation to step in and take place :tu:
[*] sound is unfrozen geometry [*]
https://www.youtube.com/c/Eurikon/videos

Mutant wrote:Thanks, but that doesn't include ALL plugins ever made for VCV/VeeSeeVST Rack, only those you ported into the VST version ? :)
All plugins / modules available for VSVR, that's what we're talking about here, right ?

For VCV modules there's a search page on the VCV home page (w/o a category filter, apparently). I would assume that this is a rather complete list of all modules ever made / released.
newluc wrote:Hi,
I am new to modular world, so I am here to ask if it’s possible that someone share some preset so I can have a point to start from?
Thanks in advance!
Luciano
There are some some video tutorials on YT that show you how to create patches for VCVR (and consequently also for VSVR) from scratch.
The SoundOnSound Synth Secrets series is also worth a read if you want to become a "synthesist".
bionrg wrote:Thanks a bunch for the fast modules update!

And ok, i'll patiently wait for your VST host.
To be honest, I created this for personal use, don't know if it's ever going to be released into the wild. If you are reasonably tech-savvy (i.e. can edit config files, e.g. to add VST directories) and promise not to discuss this here, I may give you a copy, though.
bionrg wrote:I learned over the years that asking for the useful stuff from the giant old dinausors leads to very little or no response,
so i'll gladly wait for the inventive and creative generation to step in and take place :tu:
I don't think that's a generational thing, it has more to do with how big the company is / how much money they are already making.
Reminds me of the hoops and loops I had to go through to get my ISP to fix the faulty wiring in our house :D

why is the general output of VSVR so extremely hot?
is there a way of setting this to a normal output level in the config file?
if so, how do set this?

bionrg wrote:why is the general output of VSVR so extremely hot?
if so, how do set this?
It actually is not.
You can easily verify this by creating a bypass patch that just routes the stereo input to the output.

However, the level of the oscillator modules is indeed very hot and you usually have to route them through a VCA (most of which are actually attenuators) to get them to "normal" (<0dB) levels.

Naturally for a modular synth, there are lots of ways to gain-stage a signal, and like in most (all?) synths, this can make quite a difference (e.g. hot signal into filter vs quiet signal into filter+boost via filter gain or amplify post-filter).

bsp804 wrote:
bionrg wrote:why is the general output of VSVR so extremely hot?
if so, how do set this?
It actually is not.
You can easily verify this by creating a bypass patch that just routes the stereo input to the output.

However, the level of the oscillator modules is indeed very hot and you usually have to route them through a VCA (most of which are actually attenuators) to get them to "normal" (<0dB) levels.

Naturally for a modular synth, there are lots of ways to gain-stage a signal, and like in most (all?) synths, this can make quite a difference (e.g. hot signal into filter vs quiet signal into filter+boost via filter gain or amplify post-filter).
Yes, i am aware of all this.
but actually after re-evaluating my statement, i made a simple patch and opened it in both VST and VCV versions.
The patch while within VCV/VSV has the same output, it is the VST enviroment or the way Reason handles the VST input where things get really loud.
Maybe i am gonna have to put a default gain input setting for the VSVR plugin in a Reason template
VSVR_simplepatch.jpg
VCVR_simplepatch.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bionrg wrote:[..]The patch while within VCV/VSV has the same output, it is the VST enviroment or the way Reason handles the VST input where things get really loud.[..]
I found the root cause for this: VCV Rack boosts all input channels *10, then attenuates all outputs channels /10.

That's why the bypass test worked but the output of other patches was too loud.

Changelog:

** August 16th, 2018
- fix: amplify input channels *10, attenuate output channels /10
   => for VCV Rack patch compatibility
- update module Fundamental.LFO (increase max rate)
- add module Fundamental.VCA-1
- update module LindenbergResearch.*
- add module PG-Instruments.PGSEQ3
- add module PG-Instruments.PGPanner
- add module PG-Instruments.PGQuadPanner
- add module PG-Instruments.PGOctPanner
- add module PG-Instruments.PGVCF
- add module PG-Instruments.PGStereoVCF
- add module PG-Instruments.PGEcho
- add module PG-Instruments.PGStereoEcho
- add module PG-Instruments.PGStereoPingPongEcho
- add module Southpole.Abr
- add module Southpole.Annuli
- add module Southpole.Aux
- add module Southpole.Balaclava
- add module Southpole.Bandana
- add module Southpole.Blank1HP
- add module Southpole.Blank2HP
- add module Southpole.Blank4HP
- add module Southpole.Blank8HP
- add module Southpole.Blank16HP
- add module Southpole.Blank42HP
- add module Southpole.But
- add module Southpole.CornrowsX
- add module Southpole.DeuxEtageres
- add module Southpole.Etagere
- add module Southpole.Falls
- add module Southpole.Ftagn
- add module Southpole.Fuse
- add module Southpole.Gnome
- add module Southpole.Piste
- add module Southpole.Pulse
- add module Southpole.Rakes
- add module Southpole.Riemann
- add module Southpole.Smoke
- add module Southpole.Snake
- add module Southpole.Sns
- add module Southpole.Splash
- add module Southpole.Sssh
- add module Southpole.Wriggle
  • The I/O amplification change may require you to update your patches
veeseevstrack_0_6_1_win64_bin-16Aug2018.7z

bsp804 wrote: I found the root cause for this: VCV Rack boosts all input channels *10, then attenuates all outputs channels /10.

That's why the bypass test worked but the output of other patches was too loud.

• The I/O amplification change may require you to update your patches
veeseevstrack_0_6_1_win64_bin-16Aug2018.7z
Saaaawweeeeet!!! Thanks for the fix! Just tested it no more extreme hotttt earbleeds lol =)))

btw. Fundamental.VCA-1 didn't make it into the release. or maybe it needs 0.6.2b to work.

Is it possible to have the Fundamental MIDI modules accept other midi devices?
As is possible with VCV.

(In latest version VCV also something was fixed with midi multiplexing or something like that.)

example:
In Reason i wish to send CV control from a Matrix Sequencer through a Reason External Midi Device over a virtual midi cable,
and have that available inside the VSV plugin.
VSV-extmidi.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bionrg wrote:Is it possible to have the Fundamental MIDI modules accept other midi devices?[..]
example:
In Reason i wish to send CV control from a Matrix Sequencer through a Reason External Midi Device over a virtual midi cable,
and have that available inside the VSV plugin.
I won't add support for additional MIDI devices (this is the VST host's job) but you can now CV-modulate the VST parameters directly w/o the need for any loopback devices :-)

Changelog:

** August 17th, 2018
- fix VST parameter automation in Propellerhead Reason
- add module Fundamental.VCA-1 (for real this time)
  • Someone please remind me why there is this "effCanBeAutomated" opcode and why Reason seems to be the only DAW that requires a plugin to implement it :dog:
veeseevstrack_0_6_1_win64_bin-17Aug2018.7z

Instead of sending 32bit CV out through 7bit MIDI, you should be using Reason's VST proxy device audio inputs to send CV (as audio) into veeseevst, just convert CV into audio (there's plenty of free REs for that or use Thor to convert it)

But now with the VST parameters fixed, you can use that instead, once figured out which (param number) is which (module control) through CV mod's LRN (or Automate or Remote)

Return to “Modular Synthesis”