Any interest in good samples of a bad guitar?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've started asking people if they know anybody with a crappy electric worth sampling. If nobody does, crappy acoustics are plentiful around here.

So, I dug up this thread to say that this is now happening for real - already recorded the raw samples and started editing them. The guitar ended up being a Defil electric 12-string, which I also sampled for 6-string and Nashville tuning use. And also...
strayboom wrote:DSmolken: it would be interesting to combine your "crap" guitar library with my "Bad Bassist": http://www.strayworx.com/blog/2012/06/05/bad-bassist/

Also, we'd need a sloppy drumkit with broken cymbals :)
Ha! I had forgotten all about this post, but Swirly Drums includes a crash with three missing chunks, a cracked splash with practically no sustain, in addition to non-broken versions recorded later, and a cheap, trashy hi-hat. Basically the folk-punk drummer I recorded it with was like "these are my cymbals, they're in pretty bad shape, sorry about that but it's what I got" so later we recorded somebody else's better cymbals and kept both.

Bumping this thread from more than two years ago to say - I've really gone and done it, and it's almost here. More than 10000 samples of a weird, cheap old guitar, adding up to almost 4 GB even at 16 bits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-J8L8JX9RY

And there's a whole another separate walkthrough dedicated to all the things you can do with feedback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMkRgZ3nvrg

Sounds really interesting! But when following your advice and hitting Karoryfer.com, I can't find any trace of Secret Agent Guitar… :-(

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

It'll be out next week - we gotta take care of some admin and website stuff first. Sorry about the confusion - it says in the Youtube description that it'll be available soon, but I can't really say it in the video, and you don't see the YT description when this is embedded on a forum.

Enjoyed the youtube videos ..looking forward to the guitar Dave!

Spitfire31 wrote:But when following your advice and hitting Karoryfer.com, I can't find any trace of Secret Agent Guitar… :-(
If you could find it, it wouldn't be secret, silly!

It's not so secret anymore. https://www.karoryfer.com/karoryfer-sam ... ent-guitar

$39 regular price, $19 intro price until September 30th, and only $9 until September 3rd.

Edit: we're having some download issues, until we can get that fixed we'll email a working download link manually to anyone who buys this and/or Swirly Drums. Sorry about the problems.

Hello all you KVRgonauts.

I'm a long-time lurker but felt the need to finally commit due to having just bought this library. What a brilliant bargain. 4Gb of dusty, creaky, squeaky & slightly wonky guitar samples for peanuts (in old money).

I had trouble decompressing the download but emailed Drogomir and he immediately responded with another link which worked. Hopefully the regular link will be sorted by now. I'm really looking forward to whatever he releases next...a rusty nose flute maybe?

Thanks!

The downloads are now fixed - it was a simple configuration thing to allow files over 1 GB. I feel pretty foolish for testing the checkout process but assuming the downloads would be fine, of course, because we do hundreds of smaller downloads for free stuff every day and the bandwidth is no big deal. So anyone who bought it and didn't download it yet can use the regular link, instead of the one I emailed, and anybody who's been holding off on the purchase till we get it fixed can now go on ahead.

And as to what I'll release next... we might find out soon.

Also, here's a short demo track by one of our beta testers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zGHwRJCKeM

This is a fun and carefully designed instrument in its genre. And a lot of instrument for nine bucks, with electric and acoustic versions of both the 6 string and 12 string variants, weighing in a just over 4 GB once installed (a 2GB download)!

Being mainly a Kontakt-centric person, I was a bit at a loss at first how to deal with Plogue's Sforzando, which is the platform chosen for this Secret Agent. However, when nothing else helps, there's the detailed and well illustrated manual to the rescue. ;-)

It's almost churlish to gripe about the fact that there's apparently no way of adding vibrato to taste with the mod wheel. There are, in fact, no less than three different types of vibrato available, but their rate and depth have to be set by sliders in the GUI, along with a variable delay before the vibrato sets in. I'd rather use the M/W…

Thank you, Drogomir, for a thoroughly entertaining and different guitar!

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

on the one hand i hope that lots of people buy this because you deserve it

on the other hand i want it to remain my personal secret weapon

Spitfire31 wrote:It's almost churlish to gripe about the fact that there's apparently no way of adding vibrato to taste with the mod wheel. There are, in fact, no less than three different types of vibrato available, but their rate and depth have to be set by sliders in the GUI, along with a variable delay before the vibrato sets in. I'd rather use the M/W…
That's a good point. I thought about how it'd be nice to simplify the vibrato, or at least assign one of the vibrato flavors to the mod wheel, but I couldn't decide which one it should be, so I just left it. I've kind of gone in depth on the vibrato modeling by having different types, different depths per string (which is essential to things like the opening chord of the walkthrough), and while there's still room for more, I really should find a way to make this more user-friendly. And, well, all my beta testers were MIDI-programming guys - next time I should make sure I have somebody who plays parts in from a keyboard, so they'll point out to me that mod wheel use is a big part of how they work.

I will see how I could simplify that in an update... maybe make mod wheel trigger vibrato, and have three other parameters which select the flavor of vibrato that the mod wheel triggers. That's adding one more parameter to the whole thing, though, so not much of a simplification. I'll try to think of something better.
sleepcircle wrote:on the one hand i hope that lots of people buy this because you deserve it

on the other hand i want it to remain my personal secret weapon
Heh, it's selling really quite well so far, so it looks like the secret agent might not be that good at staying undercover. We've already recovered all the development costs, and made enough on top of that to buy the bass version. Though there don't appear to be any for sale in the whole country at the moment, they do pop up once in a while. And they sound like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV0TPfbnrOg

$9 intro pricing is over, nearly 100 people took advantage of it, and the guitar is now $19 until the end of September. Then the regular price is $39.

Dude, just wanted to chime in real quick and say you got some amazing free stuff on the website- thanks!

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”