Tape Emulation roundup

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Abbey Road - J37 Tape

Reelbus, Ferric TDS(32bit), PSP Echo, even Alloy sometimes.

zerocrossing wrote:Virsyn VTAPE is pretty good... or at least is used to be. Now I can never seem to get their plugins to work.
That’s a bummer, they make great stuff.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

For exaggerated tape sounds, I love Klevgrand's DAW Cassette. For just a little bit of warmth / smoothing / saturation, airwindows ToTape5 is fabulous (and free).

What about the UAD stuff?
Oxide Tape
Ampex ATR-102
Studer A800
Fatso

I've got lots of tape emulators, but I keep going back to Nomad Factory Magnetic II.

In my experience, probably the best, flexible and usefull tape tool!

https://www.audiothing.net/effects/type-a/

By the way there's a lot of free usefull plugins

I have pretty much all of them (I love tape), a reel to reel and a half dozen cassette decks.

For my preferred '4-track without the hiss' sound I use a combination of Softube Tape and bx console E. It sounds like tape and actually better than tape to me.

I run a bx console -> tape instance on each track and then a tape -> bx console on master into my master eq and comp. Super nice.

Black Rooster magnetite is very very nice also.

ChamomileShark wrote:there are also the Waves Audio tape emulations - but wait until they turn up at $29.

If you have Reaktor there are a number of ensembles for that. NI just brought out a list which includes VHS tape too.
Yeah I like the Kramer or the J37 myself, but then, I'm just reinforcing my personal experience and bias here, much like everyone else.

The IK Saturator X and Clipper is good at emulating part of the tape process, which is often all you need.

If it's just the soft-clipping nature of tape you are after you can actually emulate that with a compressor using a low ratio (1.5:1 or thereabouts) a fat attack and release and low threshold. A soft knee is also desirable if your compressor of choice has one.

Slate VTM all the way. It's a little CPU heavy though, so I'll put it on the stereo bounce.
Reduce the input gain a little, compensate on the output side.. Love it :)

Slate Digital Virtual Tape machine maybe the closest, the UAD tape machines are not bad.

Does tape actually sound like anything? I seriously doubt it does, this whole tape emulation industry is just snake oil.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote:Does tape actually sound like anything? I seriously doubt it does, this whole tape emulation industry is just snake oil.
It has certain coloration, saturation and harmonics that most of the people like. Also there are many different tape machines out there, so there are many different tape emulations too.

Sorry for amateur question but i only find it useful on master buss,how you guys use tape emulator in the mix,tried it on guitar track in Bandlab Cakewalk and it was terrible :)

Cupwise FX offer functional tape cassette demos that work with the free versions of nebula.
CDSoundmaster offer one demo model from their Apex tape collection. There's also the free R2R Revox B77 Pro.
Last edited by The Noodlist on Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote:Sorry for amateur question but i only find it useful on master buss,how you guys use tape emulator in the mix,tried it on guitar track in Bandlab Cakewalk and it was terrible :)
For individual tracks I`d ask myself the questions:

Does this sound have too sharp a transients?
Does it have too many high frequencies poking out?
Do I want extra "warmth" in the sense of added lower mids here?

(If not sure of the answers to the above, reference a record that you would like to sound like. It will give you pointers for the direction to take)

If answer is yes to one or more of those questions, I`d try a tape emu on it.
If you still have the above issues and the tape didn`t work you could try a compressor/ transient designer + a saturator with more controls.

Another approach could be using tape lightly on many tracks to get a build up of saturation in your mix.

Also in sound design, you could try pushing tape emu quite hard to see what happens and maybe blend it in parallel. Use on a band limited send etc. Be as creative as you like :)

Return to “Effects”