FXpansion releases Cypher2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cypher (DCAM: Synth Squad) Cypher2

fisherKing wrote:
Tj Shredder wrote:I came across a bug on my Mac Pro (2013, 10 core), the first tests I made on a Macbook Air, using the standalone mainly and everything was fine. Now I installed it on my Mac Pro, and the standalone creates mainly crackles instead of those nice sounds. Loading the plug-in in Bitwig is fine, no crackles whatsoever.
Anybody else playing Cypher on a Mac Pro?
cypher2 struggles sometimes (& crackles) on my macbook pro (in logic X); seems if i use more than one instance, i risk that happening. plays better once the cypher2 window is closed...

rebooting my mac, and JUST opening logic helps. fxpansion is aware of the problem, and we should have a better experience with a coming update.
I think Cypher is just using tons of CPU... depending on how complex I make a sound (using demo so cannot save presets) I can get crackles on 2-3 notes (no unison) with only 1 instance of Cypher on my 15" MBP. Project is @ 96khz

pdxindy wrote:Is there a way to have finer control of filter cutoff? The filter cutoff knob moves in relatively big steps. Same for modulation of filter cutoff. The amount of modulation from zero to the first step on the control is too much.

Yes. Right click in the filter cutoff dial, select SNAP, and then select 'OFF'.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

himalaya wrote:
pdxindy wrote:Is there a way to have finer control of filter cutoff? The filter cutoff knob moves in relatively big steps. Same for modulation of filter cutoff. The amount of modulation from zero to the first step on the control is too much.

Yes. Right click in the filter cutoff dial, select SNAP, and then select 'OFF'.
Thanks!

EDIT: It seems to be buggy. Turning snap off the cutoff knob then can be set in .001 increments as expected. But modulation you have to drag it a bit before anything happens and then the first step is 1.237 or so.

And in general, I might like to keep the parameter snap on and only fine adjust the modulation amount. This is so much clumsier than just having shift-click drag for fine control.

EDIT 2: Okay, all parameters modulation jumps initially. Filter Res is 0-100 scale and the smallest mod value is 4... 3,2 and 1 are not accessible. This must be a bug.

Is there a reason why the sequencer "Variable" parameter does not effect Arpeggios? It's only working in Step Seq mode for me. If this is by design, I'd really like it for "Variable" to work on Arpeggio steps in a future update. It seems like a bug to me, but either way, I think it's a feature Cypher 2 should have. It would add more life to arpeggiated sequences.

On that note, maybe everything in the matrix should work with arpeggios. Pitch doesn't work either (but I don't really care about this one because it's easy to do with TransMod). If this behavior isn't going to change, perhaps it should be "grayed out" to make it clear it's only for step sequences.

I am also having an issues using the mod sequencer to change the "fine shift" of the main sequence via the matrix to make a groove. I set both sequences to 8th note rate, it sometimes works on the first cycle, but it's mostly not picking up the mod sequencer values. It looks like an issue with synchronization, because if I use the "fine" control on the mod sequencer to pull it up in time a little bit, then it works fine. This threw me off until I figured out the workaround. If all the sequencers are setup with the same timing, I think this should just work without futzing with the fine shift controls on the mod sequencers. It would be a lot more intuitive.

Adam

PS - Sorry for only bringing up problems. I really like Cypher 2! I just want to see it get even better :)

I am having problems with Cypher 2 in Pro Tools 2018.7 and was wondering if I am the only one: when I program a Cypher 2 patch in a PT session, then save the session and close it, the patch will be lost on reloading the session. Instead a default "init" patch will be loaded. Likewise, if I load a Cypher 2 preset in a PT session, it will not be saved with the PT session. Again, a generic patch will load instead. I tried to get help from FXpansion support but the person who is answering my support tickets does not seem to grasp the problem, and hence no solution.

Cheers,

Jack

zvenx wrote:
yemski wrote:Some more jams from the sessions I did a year ago.

https://soundcloud.com/yemski/sets/back-to-the-lab
Nice.
Hopefully some of these will it to an expansion sound pack or you release them yourself?
rsp

Some of my sounds are in the factory bank already. The ones that aren't part of that will come out as freebies to be shared with the community quite soon. Cypher 2 changed a lot in terms of capabilities since I wrote my first patches for it, so I want to go back to the drawing board and do something that reflects these expanded possibilities. If possible, budget permitting, I'd like to get an MPE capable device and explore that side of things more as well.
Musicmaker: "I'm playing all the right notes, but not neccesarily in the right order" Eric Morecame : Comedy Bhoddisatva

Is it worthwhile to install Windows 10 just to get Cypher 2? It seems very interesting...
I am guessing the memory leaks (without reading every post in here) are mostly in other operating systems, and I have Windows 8.1.

himalaya wrote:
Examigan wrote:Is it worthwhile to install Windows 10 just to use Cypher 2?
If you have a Seaboard, then it's a resounding 'yes'. You can turn Cypher2 into an Acoustic Modeling synth, without any acoustic modelling under the hood:
those demos are ridiculously good (the sounds, and what you do with them). am not giving up my xKey 37 (yet), but impressive possibilities...

Examigan wrote:Is it worthwhile to install Windows 10 just to get Cypher 2? It seems very interesting...
I am guessing the memory leaks (without reading every post in here) are mostly in other operating systems, and I have Windows 8.1.
I believe a memory leak would be a fault in the plugin's own memory handling regardless of the operating system. afaik it's a problem on Mac and Win for example, so probably there in all Win versions too.

aMUSEd wrote:
Examigan wrote:Is it worthwhile to install Windows 10 just to get Cypher 2? It seems very interesting...
I believe a memory leak would be a fault in the plugin's own memory handling regardless of the operating system. afaik it's a problem on Mac and Win for example, so probably there in all Win versions too.
Ok thank. I don't have Roli keyboard or anything else to take advantage of it's extra capabilities, but it seems like such a cool plugin.

fisherKing wrote:
himalaya wrote:
Examigan wrote:Is it worthwhile to install Windows 10 just to use Cypher 2?
If you have a Seaboard, then it's a resounding 'yes'. You can turn Cypher2 into an Acoustic Modeling synth, without any acoustic modelling under the hood:
those demos are ridiculously good (the sounds, and what you do with them). am not giving up my xKey 37 (yet), but impressive possibilities...
You don't need to give up your current controllers, I use my Seaboard in addition to everything else I have. :D

However, the 2D sounds are just as effective. There is soo many of them, spanning such a wide range of styles...time is needed to check them all out in the right context.

So, you don't need a Seaboard. Here is a couple of sounds, which go beyond what a VA synth should be able to do.

One sustained chord to begin with, then some additional notes are played. This is one patch:
https://soundcloud.com/fxpansion/tx-aquatic-forms

Here's a soft 'granular'-like preset:
https://soundcloud.com/fxpansion/tx-granular-peacemaker

Here is another 5D sound, but I wanted to post it here since it's based on the little mentioned Euclidian module. It's a marvel of motion. Check it out (this sound is made by Rory Dow):

https://soundcloud.com/fxpansion/pd-euc ... ilement-5d

Examigan wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
Ok thank. I don't have Roli keyboard or anything else to take advantage of it's extra capabilities, but it seems like such a cool plugin.
The only extra capability, is the MPE stuff. Everything else is what you would use regardless of your midi controller.

However, it has to be said, that there are many, many sounds which are exclusive on the MPE/5D side of Cypher2. This exclusivity comes from a simple fact that certain MPE sounds just do not work on a traditional midi keyboard, for example, anything that uses 'continuous pressure' as it's main note-trigger/input, will not work on a keyboard. This includes pretty much all of the WIND sounds in the 5D category. These need continuous pressure to work. Still, if you want to experiment with some unique features (eg: dual osc hard-sync, tripple ring-mods....) Cypher2 is a blast.

I've now ran Cypher 2 on both of my systems and it works perfectly (except for the bugs, one of them being the memory leak which affects ALL systems).

Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. No issues here at all.

It's a gloriously sounding synth and hopefully will get a lot better to use and less buggy as time goes on. FXpansion are usually really good at supporting their products far into the future so it's sort of a safe investment in that regard.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Return to “Instruments”