Books

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Not sure whether this is the right section for this, if not move or delete.

Looking for books on audio engineering, electronic production, anything I can learn electronic wise. Can request books to be bought into the library so any recommendations would be great.

Had my eye on this one for a while: https://makingmusic.ableton.com/
Nobody, Ever wrote:I have enough plugins.

eBooks by Samplecraze
Paperbacks by Mike Senior
Google is your friend

martinjuenke wrote:Paperbacks by Mike Senior
:tu:

This is my bible I bought!

Mike Senior is an outstanding mixing engineer.

Etienne1973 wrote:
martinjuenke wrote:Paperbacks by Mike Senior
:tu:

This is my bible I bought!

Mike Senior is an outstanding mixing engineer.
I have it as well and it‘s quite good. Recommended!

I read the ableton book didn't find it very useful. Don't really know why I read it, creativity is something I have an abundance of. Mixing secrets looks interesting. I'm going to request that from the library next.

Lots of good suggestions in this thread.

Samplecraze is an excellent source of good material. His videos can feel less "unpolished" as the ones from the big tutorial makers - but the information is 10/10 spot on.

Ableton Making Music book is also great. I don't use it that much to be honest - but if I find myself in a rut or a situation where I'm stuck, that book often helps me out. Recommended.

But if there is any book that I would say changed big things for me, I would say "The War of Art" by Steven Pressfield is a killer. It doesn't talk about music - but rather the creative process. This would be my desert island book.

Another book I would recommend is "The Producers Mindset" by Chris Crompton. This book is again diving deep into the creative process - but from a electronic musicans point of view. Also an essential book - and you can feel he read "The War of Art" more than one time :hihi:

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

“The War of Art” is a strange title, music and creativity are usually peaceful activities.
Is that an american way of looking at our world? All is a fight? or even a war?
I would never touch a book with such a title and also no book which had been “inspired” by that...
Just wondering...

Secrets of electronic music production by attack magazine is great
dedication to flying

This is the most useful book on audio technology I have ever bought:

http://www.washington.edu/uwpress/searc ... HIAU3.html

Not much about production per se, just in depth explanations of all of the basic concepts in audio: inductors, capacitors, transducers, and so on. You pick it up to look up one term, and spend the next hour browsing through random entries.

Another great resource, not a book, but definitely a great collection of peer reviewed articles by unimpeachable audio professionals, is the Rane library.

www.rane.com/library.html

I learned more about compressors and equalizers there than from all other sources combined.

Tj Shredder wrote:“The War of Art” is a strange title, music and creativity are usually peaceful activities.
I would never touch a book with such a title and also no book which had been “inspired” by that...
Just wondering...
There are no great American books about the art of war that I know of. Americans are not a particularly war-like people, despite popular prejudice. And the title of that book is most definitely a reference to Sun Tzu's 'Art of War' which was written in China over 2 millennia before America was even discovered by the Spanish and Portuguese.

Sorry. I don't want to go into HPC territory, but that statement really rubbed me the wrong way.

Anyway, I do agree that music and audio technology have nothing to do with war.

herodotus wrote:
Tj Shredder wrote:“The War of Art” is a strange title, music and creativity are usually peaceful activities.
Just wondering...
There are no great American books about the art of war that I know of. Americans are not a particularly war-like people, despite popular prejudice. And the title of that book is most definitely a reference to Sun Tzu's 'Art of War' which was written in China over 2 millennia before America was even discovered by the Spanish and Portuguese.

Sorry. I don't want to go into HPC territory, but that statement really rubbed me the wrong way.

Anyway, I do agree that music and audio technology have nothing to do with war.
The book is more about the war within ourselves. He is talking about fighting the many forms of resistance (some of) us battle to avoid sitting down and focusing on writing, or any other artistic endeavor. It's a quick read and I found myself identifying with a lot of the negative habits.

-Dan
Windows/Mac | Studio One, Live, Logic | Push 2, Maschine MKIII, Atom SQ | Presonus Quantum 2, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, | Fender, Godin, Taylor

herodotus wrote:And the title of that book is most definitely a reference to Sun Tzu's 'Art of War' which was written in China over 2 millennia before America was even discovered by the Spanish and Portuguese.
Thanks for the clarification, I should have recognized the connection to Sun Tzu...
Still its a strange title and I dislike it strongly...

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”