Fathom Synth Development Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

Elevated_being wrote:Ok, I have a hard time wrapping my head around this license scheme.
So I bought Fathom yesterday, v. 2.17, and now today you upgrade it to version 2.18.

How do I get the latest version?

I can't download the update, because it requires a password.

Do I have to pay for the upgrade now, 1 day after my purchase?

Email Everett, he usually responds within a couple of hours.
He'll give you a password for the update.
You don't have to pay for the update.

Look in the order confirmation email that you should have received when you purchased the full version. The password is in the text details.
Please save this receipt. You may need to provide it as proof of purchase when receiving updates to the product.

This is your software update pass code:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You will need this code to download new software versions of Fathom.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

zzz00m wrote:Look in the email that you should have received when you purchased the full version. The password is in the text details.

I got 3 mails when I bought it:
  1. A "Your downloads are ready", containing a direct link to my download of 2.17
  2. A "Order confirmed", confirming my order with a "View your order" button, Order Summary and Customer information, when clicking the button I'm taken to the "buyfathom.com" site with a download link for 2.17. No passcode or anything.
  3. One from paypal confirming my transaction.
There doesn't seem to be any pass codes anywhere. Could this be a Paypal checkout bug of some sort?
I can't lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies.

Elevated_being wrote:
zzz00m wrote:Look in the email that you should have received when you purchased the full version. The password is in the text details.

I got 3 mails when I bought it:
  1. A "Your downloads are ready", containing a direct link to my download of 2.17
  2. A "Order confirmed", confirming my order with a "View your order" button, Order Summary and Customer information, when clicking the button I'm taken to the "buyfathom.com" site with a download link for 2.17. No passcode or anything.
  3. One from paypal confirming my transaction.
There doesn't seem to be any pass codes anywhere. Could this be a Paypal checkout bug of some sort?
The specific confirmation email that I was referring to with the password was "Order Confirmed" from "FATHOM SYNTH <no-reply@squarespace.info>" with a reply to address: "support@fathomsynth.com"
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Mine "Order confirmed" email is via shopify.com.

I have sent Everett an email, so I'll just have to wait and see.

But thanks for the help. :)

FathomSynth wrote:MPE, Good news is, it can be done, there is a JUCE class specially made for MPE, so it is do-able.
Bad news is it is a different class and will require a little redesign, but I will make it a priority
+1 for MPE. MPE profoundly transforms the ability to make expressive music with synths. You'll get listed on the Linn and Roli pages that list MPE supported synths for some free advertising. :phones:

So I just got on the Fathom train. I have a question. What is the difference between the MT version of the VST and the regular VST?

I peeped in the manual & didn't see any info regarding this.
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

Well, I rewarded myself for the 2.18 release by sleeping in today, so a little later than normal on our thread.

Elevated_being, I sent you a PM, really happy you are now a user!

plexus, MPE is high on the priority list, but requires some redesign.

Sauker30, MT is the Visual Studio statically linked build. It has all the Windows C++ libraries statically linked into the plugin DLL. I create this build for users with something different about their Windows setup which might prevent Fathom from being detected by the host. Ever since I moved from Visual Studio 2012 to 2017 this has become much less common, but the MT build is still sometimes useful to people, so it remains an option.

The normal official build is the Visual Studio MD build. This build uses dynamic linking for the Windows C++ libraries, so that Fathom remains as compatible as possible when running with your host DAW software, and ensures that Fathom is using the same libraries at run time as your host. 9/10 times this is the best option on most systems, so it remains the standard build option.

Provoc, I was experimenting with the mouse over for the easy mods, I actually first had it the way you suggested with the first mouse over showing the dial parameter name and value, but changed it so the first mouse over would show the target parameter. But I agree with you that the first way was better. I will be changing this in the next release so mousing over the dial shows the value and mousing over the edges of the mod slat shows the target parameter name. Also, I tend to think in binary not decimal which is why the time dials below 1.0 are in fractions of 256 rather than decimal, but I will add a setting to change this.

There have been a lot of sales lately for both the new Sound Bank and the voluntary Fathom upgrade, so we just want to thank every one who is so generously supporting the project, it really makes a huge difference.

Especially now since the next feature set planned for 2.19 is a complete redesign of the oscillators, with modulated spectrums, draw your own spectrums, higher quality distortion, and eventually a drag and drop analog circuit builder used for making exact sonic replica's of hardware synths, such as the Moog, or Prophet. One of the primary reason for this stage is to make the Zero Delay Gaussian Filter available on all the oscillators, and to make the Additive Spectrum interface available on all oscillators. I will also be generalizing the wave draw interface to be usable on frequency spectrums. As part of this we will also be doing the two highest user requests which are, MPE, and oscillators as modulators.

RPH wrote:
GreyLion wrote:Is there a reason that RC Lee's 'Sounds that will Grow' doesn't have any links and can't be bought on the Fathom site? I'd like to buy it and the Scrubbing Monkeys bank together. :D
RC Lee = Scrubbing Monkeys. ;)
Very good cause, ScrubbingMonkeys! :tu:

To support both your terrific efforts I (re)bought Fathomsynth with the bundle (I love Fathom Fridays! :borg: :ud: :party:)

FathomSynth wrote:Well, I rewarded myself for the 2.18 release by sleeping in today, so a little later than normal on our thread.
Do you need to count 0's and 1's? or just collapse in a heap,
or both? :hihi:

I use Fathom in linux/wine/reaper,
and each update brings some :hyper: fear :hyper: that
something will break in the new complexities, but instead,
it gets faster/smoother :tu: :party:
The new sounds are fun, 'Green Garden Bells' with
faster portamento, with a phalanx of effects
and a decent drum machine, is tons of fun.
Cheers

lmao, actually I've been sleeping pretty well lately, it's hard to believe but
there has not been a single bug report from the field ever since the release of 2.17.

Yes, we're really happy with the new bank, getting lots of great feedback.

FathomSynth wrote: Elevated_being, I sent you a PM, really happy you are now a user!....
Thanks! Got your mail & PM and problem has been solved. :D

Are there any plans to improve the preset browser?

Some sort of tag-based system would really add to the accessability of Fathom.

The GUI has been the focus for the last couple months since there was much agreement that it was previously a weakness (relatively speaking).

However, the next big item for the rest of this year will be the quality of the oscillators and some truly analog noise and distortion algorithms. After that the next big item is the sample and arpeggiator.

So for a couple months I'm going to try and stay away from small items on the GUI and focus on the major stuff which will take Fathom up a notch in audio quality so it can compete with the best of the best.

That being said, I'm always open to suggestions. The Fathom browser currently has favorite stars (dots actually) which are handy for sorting things. Also since I fixed the preset crash bug I have found that advanced users are likely to use host preset browsing systems such as the excellent one in Cubase.

What exactly would you envision as a tag based system?

I feel like Native Instruments have pretty much nailed the whole preset tagging thing, Massive is probably a good example from them. The one that u-he have implemented into Hive works really well too. I always liked the one in CamelAudio Alchemy which really lends itself to the whole soundbank expansion thing they had going on with it.

Failing that, something that enables easier access to the current category system might work better. Right now there's either a lot of navigating through folders (including irrelevent ones appearing in the list) or scrolling through everything. If, for example, all the pads were accessible with one click that would be an improvement (it doesn't help that currently some presets are label "PAD" while others are labelled "pad" and that the alphabetical order of the "category" column places PAD -> PER -> PERC -> pad).

While I'm being nitpicky here, it seems really odd that clicking on the preset name doesn't load the preset but rather goes to rename it instead.

I hope that didn't come off too much like complaining. I appreciate you have all these priorities regarding making Fathom better on a technical level but there's a lot of benefits that can come from improving the preset management such as potentially reaching a wider market and making soundbank expansion packs more viable as additional revenue.

Return to “Instruments”