Reaper midi piano roll note names problem SOLVED (but without any insight as to the cause)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have a midi item open in the editor. Along the left side is the common keyboard representation of the pitch with the name of each C note marked ie just one named note per octave.
When I use the action to remove unused pitch rows to compress that view down Reaper assumes I no longer want to see the name of the pitch but would rather I saw the note number so instead of seeing say C2 I see (36) whcih is not all that handy. And strangely enough the ability to have each individual note named on the little bars indicating "note" is no longer available, It's like they've all gone into stealth mode. Instead, I would like to see the note name so that if I was only using C2, F2 and F#3 I could compress the midi editor to those rows and along the left edge I would see C2, F2 and F#3 written. Or second best, keep the names of the notes visible on each and every note.

Is there any way to do this - note that selection show note names does not work, and trying to load a keymap means I have to close the project, which is not that useful either
Last edited by woggle on Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thinking if using other than default Reaper theme?

It's so incredibly flexible so certain things that were available in one theme is not in the next.
Certain things are untouched, but just an idea....

could be but I am using the default theme - I will try default 4 as well and see how that goes if no-one has a specific fix. Thanks for the suggestion

Why not use custom note name that will always show note names? Once you're in "hide unused" or "hide unused and unnamed" Reaper assumes you want to do drum editing so that's why just MIDI note numbers are there. Unless you load a custom note names file.
Last edited by EvilDragon on Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

EvilDragon wrote:Why not use custom note name that will always show note names?
I tried loading some old files I had made but it kept asking to shut the project down and then was not available. But good suggestion and I will go on youtube to get a tute and start from scratch again

I think you might be using a wrong action/menu entry to load the note names? It never asks me to shut the project down here.

(In MIDI editor: File->Note/CC names->Load note/CC names from file...

yep and then it goes Choose File, click on that and it shows me the three note name file I have, I click on one and it says "Save unsaved project on closing?" Which defeats the whole thing

I'll look around for another note file online and see how that goes

Oh I am using the included files with the portable install eg Note Freq Key Map.txt

Weird, that doesn't happen over here at all (even with default unsaved project). Which Reaper version? Also, what happens if you save the project first, then try loading note names?

most recent Reaper and the project was saved. Anyway I will have a bit of a play and see if I can get it working from a new file that I make myself

okay - I get the following error when I try and save the note names
EDL Text Import error (strange coz I am saving a new one)
12 EDL header items are missing

(but then it is in the file list on right click and loads fine)

OKAY !!! :) I have it working - not really sure how it works now and not earlier but after ignoring the error message and saving my simple one note note map then saving that test mini project, I acan now open my actual project and access the note name files that wouldn't even load before at all

strange but true :)

EDL is what I used importing projects from Samplitude - that is not default Reaper as far as I discovered.
Also used to transfer to Samplitude from Reaper.

Is it RPR that is project extension for Reaper, haven't run in some five years so not sure.
Create a new project and see what is suggested extension when saving that.

lfm wrote:EDL is what I used importing projects from Samplitude - that is not default Reaper as far as I discovered.
Also used to transfer to Samplitude from Reaper.

Is it RPR that is project extension for Reaper, haven't run in some five years so not sure.
Create a new project and see what is suggested extension when saving that.
this was with a new project - a few different ones plus an old project.. Same EDL error. Anyway it is working now.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”