Why are you wasting your time?

For discussion and announcements of soundware - patches, presets, soundsets, soundbanks, loop libraries, construction kits, MIDI libraries, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The question is to sound designers - Why are you still wasting your time with sound design,
it will DEFINITELY NOT make you rich,but what else could motivate you?
I am addicted to it,i really can't load vst synth and not turn few knobs for fun,it gives me inspiration,brings passion to the music back and open new creative horizons,especially when the project need the right sound,which default library doesn't have and you have to find it somewhere/nowhere,
but i'm curious what drives other guys to do it?
Cheerz :)

I really enjoy it....not everything is about money. :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

for me sound design is like the response to what I'm seeking, it simply doesn't matter how much pressets a synth has, never will give me that precise sound (perhaps just a close idea), and I do believe that the process is interesting, at the end you come up with a lot of ideas when you're starting from scratch, yes we have to learn the instruments in depth more often but is rewarding...

I really enjoy making the sounds, figuring out the concepts I want to capture, do the recordings, tweakings, editting, mangeling and when working with pure synths, enjoy the 1000's of little tweaks you can make and sculpure the sounds I have in mind.

My business runs good to be honest. I have a good amount of sales, some really neat and famous customers, seeing them purchase and use your sounds is really motivating. Recently Ramin Djawadi became a customer and seeing his order came in, is so freaking great as he is one of my composing and sound heroes :D

I have a nice relation with a lot of my customers, I really love the mails and conversations I have with them. It is very rewarding and nice to have these.

But most of all to refer back to the start of my post, I just love sound. I love to create what I have in mind, but I also like it when a slight turn of a knob suddenly changes everything and suprises me. I love to be touched by the sounds that come of lets say Omnisphere when I create an evolving ambience and to play this sound and then look on your clock and see 45 minutes have passed. It is a blessing to have this as a job and would never have beside my composing work any other job to be honest.

I went to go see "Alpha" at the movie theater, and that didn't make me have more money either.

TripleSpiralAudio wrote:I really enjoy making the sounds, figuring out the concepts I want to capture, do the recordings, tweakings, editting, mangeling and when working with pure synths, enjoy the 1000's of little tweaks you can make and sculpure the sounds I have in mind.

My business runs good to be honest. I have a good amount of sales, some really neat and famous customers, seeing them purchase and use your sounds is really motivating. Recently Ramin Djawadi became a customer and seeing his order came in,

But most of all to refer back to the start of my post, I just love sound. I love to create what I have in mind, but I also like it when a slight turn of a knob suddenly changes everything and suprises me. I love to be touched by the sounds that come of lets say Omnisphere when I create ambience ......
And dear Jaap, what you wrote here is to hear in every soundbank and in every single patch you create. And thats the reason i love your work. Amazing what you can do with your synths. Hope you will do a lot new soundbanks in the next month. Thank you.

Myramalou wrote:
TripleSpiralAudio wrote:I really enjoy making the sounds, figuring out the concepts I want to capture, do the recordings, tweakings, editting, mangeling and when working with pure synths, enjoy the 1000's of little tweaks you can make and sculpure the sounds I have in mind.

My business runs good to be honest. I have a good amount of sales, some really neat and famous customers, seeing them purchase and use your sounds is really motivating. Recently Ramin Djawadi became a customer and seeing his order came in,

But most of all to refer back to the start of my post, I just love sound. I love to create what I have in mind, but I also like it when a slight turn of a knob suddenly changes everything and suprises me. I love to be touched by the sounds that come of lets say Omnisphere when I create ambience ......
And dear Jaap, what you wrote here is to hear in every soundbank and in every single patch you create. And thats the reason i love your work. Amazing what you can do with your synths. Hope you will do a lot new soundbanks in the next month. Thank you.
Thank you Andi for those very kind words! I hope you had a good summer holiday and for sure a lot of more things to come soon! A whole year of new releases has been planned and working with lots of pleasure on them :party: :)
Thank you once again!

Teksonik wrote:I really enjoy it....not everything is about money. :shrug:
I feel better now - i thought i am just deluded person wasting time with nonsensical things :)Cheerz :)

Programming synth patches isn't nonsense. Starting with an Init patch or silence and ending up with a good sound is no less a legitimate artistic endeavor than any other form of expression. The art of creating something out of nothing is it's own reward..... :)
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Well said :)
It seems like we all have same emotion in similar forms or search :)
It's the trill i guess...i remember my first really cool stuff 2014 after more than year learning and experimenting ....i felt like they are better than anything else ever build hahahahha,
now i know it was just right sound finding it's right place ... if you work with advanced synth with more modulations ,it's like you have 10 arms each turn independent knob simply human said :):):)
but it doesn't mean it will sounds better - the beauty of sound design to me is in the unique character of the sound,like you can cook meal with anything but if you have tasty products,
it's delicious with no extra spice so to say :)
Naturally most advanced synths give you more freedom to do it but it depends....
Spend entire summer making brutally complex soundset,cuz a troll insult me that my stuff are simple or something about not enough advanced programming /exploring the synth,which is basically what i do all the time,but when start listening how most stuff sit and sound didn't like where it goes,despite functionality is crazy and impressively overload the cpu,
cuz it didn't follow my true emotions about the set,so when start to rewrite presets with the 'right' emotion,start to sound right :)
If it doesn't sound right,it doesn't sound good.
Some of the users write super positive stuff about some sets,other not so,it's all subjective
- anyway i know i will continue to do it my way,that's why don't wanna put it in 'business' prospective more than necessary - it will change leading emotion ...everybody want to be successful in his work,but i guess my success is more to do right stuff i need for my projects,than to sell them to somebody,which doesn't mean i don't respect users,when somebody write you how cool your stuff is,its super inspirational,but to me good designer stuff is pure idealism,you work hard and something really amazing shows up,right when you start to think that previous preset was your best :)
When start to produce first big HDD like 20,40 gb Bill Gates said 'Nobody will need such big HDD'
now we all know how wrong he is :)

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote:When start to produce first big HDD like 20,40 gb Bill Gates said 'Nobody will need such big HDD'
now we all know how wrong he is :)
Actually, and I'm no fan of Bill Gates, the quote attributed to him is that he said no user would ever need more than 640K of memory. He has denied he ever said that.

What he has never denied is that in the mid-90's he said that the Internet had no commercial potential over the next 10 years, and in a book he wrote at that time he said that the Internet was not the information super highway he imagined. About a year later he issued a memo about the "Internet Tidal Wave" reorienting his own company to deal with the Internet. Have to remember that while Unix users were enjoying email, ftp'ing files around the world, etc, Windows for a long time didn't even have a TCP stack.

This was all before Al Gore took credit for the Internet. Snopes tries to carry water for Al Gore saying he never said he "created the Internet", but he did say "During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet." during an interview and the intention is clear, even in context, he tried to take credit for creating the Internet.

Ok i was sure someone will correct me on this,my brain is overloaded with sound design stuff and don't remember well hihihi - my point was that things are changing and sometimes future is in less expected things than obvious predict :)
Somebody's fantasy like Steve Jobs garage hobby for example :)

When you hear your sound being used by an Oscar-awarded/nominated composer, in a huge Hollywood production, it all becomes worthwhile. You get a huge morale lift that lasts a week.

Vengeance is making lot of money.
They are understanding the genres.
And needs a luck too.

I never waste my time on 'sound design' as 'sound design' is not my goal. Although I have produced and released banks for something like 60-70 different plugins over the years any sounds I create are a byproduct of my own musical explorations, much of my music is about exploring sonic landscapes and that naturally leads in the direction of creating sounds, those I like I save as snapshots of that journey and over time this becomes a bank (and I mean this can take years, my Padshop and Chromaphone banks for example are many years old and always being added to gradually). For me there is no separation between creating sounds and creating music, music is just exploration of sounds.

Return to “Soundware”