Bending Reality - aggressive techno track I threw together yesterday

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This was fun to write, still needs some polishing, but I'm enjoying it so far.

https://soundcloud.com/libtheology/bending-reality-v1

"... I threw together yesterday"

It does sound a bit like it was done in a hurry! :0)

It has some very strong ideas and moments, but other bits just don't work for me...particularly melodically where the choice of notes could be tweaked.
neverwhere2410 wrote:still needs some polishing
If I was you I would ignore it for a few days and then come back to it fresh and make some ruthless decisions about what works and what doesn't...then it could be developed further into a good dance track.
neverwhere2410 wrote:but I'm enjoying it so far
Keep on enjoying it; creating music should be fun, even when it's hard work!

ChamMusic wrote:"... I threw together yesterday"

It has some very strong ideas and moments, but other bits just don't work for me...particularly melodically where the choice of notes could be tweaked.
Very specific. :tu:
ChamMusic wrote:If I was you I would ignore it for a few days and then come back to it fresh and make some ruthless decisions about what works and what doesn't...then it could be developed further into a good dance track.
There is a certain intention conveyed with statements like "needs some polishing". I thought the bass lines on this are fun so I posted the demo. I'm not writing EDM, though, and I couldn't care less if it becomes a "good dance track". I'll probably add guitars and vocals to it further along.
ChamMusic wrote:Keep on enjoying it; creating music should be fun, even when it's hard work!
While I appreciate feedback, I appreciate it when it actually has a point. Stuff like "you could work on a part that I didn't enjoy"... Why waste the time writing the post of you aren't going to be specific about anything?

neverwhere2410 wrote:Why waste the time writing the post of you aren't going to be specific about anything?
Well I certainly won't be wasting my time giving you any more feedback with aggressive, insulting replies like that! One person bothers to respond and you berate them...nice move dude!

This would've been a better reply to my feedback:

"Thanks for replying, but any chance of a few more specifics on how I could improve it?I really appreciate specific hints and tips"

Non-specific feedback can be very much the norm on these sort of forums at times, especially at first when you don't 'know' the OP that well....it can be sort of reassuring for some to get a bit of positivity at the very least!

Personally I give a lot of VERY specific feedback to a lot of OPs, but NOT usually until I have a handle on their level of knowledge and experience etc.

ANYWAY, this was quite specific:
ChamMusic wrote:It has some very strong ideas and moments, but other bits just don't work for me...particularly melodically where the choice of notes could be tweaked.
If you want a little bit more detail - there are clear and inappropriate clashes at times between notes in your bass , underlying harmonies and certain parts of your melodic lines...they don't work that well together and some of the notes need changing.
ChamMusic wrote:If I was you I would ignore it for a few days and then come back to it fresh and make some ruthless decisions about what works and what doesn't...then it could be developed further into a good dance track.
OK, i didn't suggest exactly what doesn't / does work, but that can be for you to consider yourself sometimes...it's your piece!

Here's a few more specifics:
The overall 'groove' of the piece is not too bad, but doesn't really gel tightly for me...the way the bass, drums and other parts interact rhythmically is always central to most popular styles of music and they don't quite click together here.

The production is a little bit harsh and edgy...sounds to me like an issue in the infamous 4 - 6 KHz area, but I haven't actually checked with a frequency scan.
neverwhere2410 wrote:There is a certain intention conveyed with statements like "needs some polishing".
You don't say, well fancy that...maybe that's why I used phrases like...

and
come back to it fresh and make some ruthless decisions about what works and what doesn't
neverwhere2410 wrote:and I couldn't care less if it becomes a "good dance track". I'll probably add guitars and vocals to it further along.
I used the words 'good dance track' because you used the words 'aggressive techno' in your description! Having abandoned my attempts at mind-reading some years ago, how exactly was I supposed to know that you intended to add guitars and vocals etc?

I'll rephrase it then:

...then it could be developed further into a good track.

As I said before...

Keep on enjoying it; creating music should be fun!

You'll be doing it without any feedback from me from now on and I strongly suspect that quite a few others who've read you're pointlessly rude response will not be bothering either....oh hangon, they haven't been have they...wonder why?

Ah,
Walks in.
Walks out.
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

I love this hell forum.

"Hey, provide specific feedback maybe"

"Fine, there are clashes with some notes and the bass lines"

My dude just wrote another 6 paragraphs all offended and still didn't say anything. Incredible.

neverwhere2410 wrote:This was fun to write, still needs some polishing, but I'm enjoying it so far.

https://soundcloud.com/libtheology/bending-reality-v1

Anyway, oh look, v3.

https://soundcloud.com/libtheology/bending-reality-v3

ChamMusic wrote:

For the record, this is why I responded the way I did. It's kind of funny you won't give specific, constructive feedback because you don't know a person, but you'll make a joke that could be interpreted as rude. :clap:

neverwhere2410 wrote: just wrote another 6 paragraphs all offended and still didn't say anything. Incredible.
So what you're suggesting is that all this is NOT useful constructive feedback....?
ChamMusic wrote:It has some very strong ideas and moments, but other bits just don't work for me...particularly melodically where the choice of notes could be tweaked.
ChamMusic wrote:If I was you I would ignore it for a few days and then come back to it fresh and make some ruthless decisions about what works and what doesn't...then it could be developed further into a good track.
ChamMusic wrote:The overall 'groove' of the piece is not too bad, but doesn't really gel tightly for me...the way the bass, drums and other parts interact rhythmically is always central to most popular styles of music and they don't quite click together here.
ChamMusic wrote:The production is a little bit harsh and edgy...sounds to me like an issue in the infamous 4 - 6 KHz area, but I haven't actually checked with a frequency scan.
ChamMusic wrote:there are clear and inappropriate clashes at times between notes in your bass , underlying harmonies and certain parts of your melodic lines...they don't work that well together and some of the notes need changing.
Do you actually want someone on KVR to actually write the f#ckin' thing for you?

You will rarely if ever get anything much more detailed than the above on one track here on the Music Cafe...If this sort of feedback doesn't do it for you...then I suggest you look elsewhere...

It was balanced, and full of useful, detailed observations on how you could move forward.

Of course, it's possible that you simply don't understand the feedback and its relevance...fair enough...then say so and I might've helped even further.

The idea that I didn't say anything useful is quite simply wrong! there is no rational, logical defence for your stand point.

neverwhere2410 wrote:
ChamMusic wrote:

For the record, this is why I responded the way I did. It's kind of funny you won't give specific, constructive feedback because you don't know a person, but you'll make a joke that could be interpreted as rude. :clap:
Seriously, in a thread where your title says TRACK I THREW TOGETHER YESTERDAY

and you also say: still needs some polishing

you're offended by someone saying It does sound a bit like it was done in a hurry! :0)

The Music Cafe will inevitably throw a lot, lot, lot more negative comments your way than that if you use it even a few times, so maybe it's NOT for you unless you desensitize just a little bit!

From my experience in the music industry, (over 30 years now) , people tend to react the most defensively to comments / feedback on their work when deep down they know it contains a bit of of truth!

I'm done here...we'll just go around in circles!

Now unsubscribed from this thread.

Seriously hope you get whatever you want from KVR + you continue to enjoy your music making, but I'll never know as I shall 100% ignore your posts from now on.

Return to “Music Cafe”