Cubase 10?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Aren't aftertouch messages just plain old MIDI CC's?
Normal (non polyphonic) aftertouch doesn't have a MIDI CC either, its a separate thing entirely.
SW: Cubase 9.5 | Komplete 11 | Omnisphere 2 | Perfect Storm 2.5 | Soundtoys 5
HW: Steinberg UR28M | Focal Alpha 50 | Fender Jazz Bass | Alesis VI25

Man, I hope so bad they eliminate the dongle. We talk about piracy as being the motivating factor in keeping it, but do they consider the actual impact on their business? Here's my scenario, I just can't imagine I'm alone here.
mod edit wrote:Members are asked to respect the copyright of other users, sites, media, etc. Users linking to, asking for information about, or blatantly bragging about using, warez, crackz, pirated sample content, re-printing material without permission, etc. will result in your post being edited / deleted, and you may be issued with a warning and / or a ban.viewtopic.php?t=44705
In the meantime they lost out on me paying for each major upgrade which I would have if not for the dongle. If they ever do release Pro without a dongle I'll buy it. We're moving away from tons of ports on mobile devices and mobility is becoming increasingly utilized in music production. I really wonder what the bottom line impact is in holding on to the dongle. I feel like it must be losing them money overall. Who knows though. I just hope they ditch the dongle. Maybe it won't be 10, but the longer they wait the more opportunities they miss and the more they lose market share as people move to alternatives that don't require a dongle.

It's a shame that the content of my post was scooped. It was simply left with all the context removed. I was in no way bragging about using pirated software and wouldn't do so. There's nothing to brag about in using pirated software, quite the contrary. I was attempting to talk honestly about what the impact on Steinberg's business decision in continuing to require a dongle for their software might be.

I've long read around here at KVR and this was my first post. It's extremely discouraging to see that honest discussion of the business impact of forcing physical restrictions in order to use software products is not allowed.

To provide some context for future readers here's the gist of what I had posted above. I bought C5 and upgraded to C6, but being a laptop user for most of my music production I ceased using the dongle and purchased version of Cubase for many years. I finally bought Elements at version 9 when the limitations were raised to a usable level in order to use an up to date version of Cubase without the dongle.

In the meantime Steinberg lost out in me paying for every upgrade. I'm very dissapointed in the restrictions in trying to have an adult conversation about such things here :|

For Cubase 10 I wish:
  • Sandboxing of plugins... so no plugin can crash Cubase anymore.
  • A completely new visual workflow for plugins like in Ableton. Cubase has now this bottom area which could hold such plugin area. So at the same time the "audio insert slot" can be removed. This would also remove the limitation how many plugins can be inserted.
  • The effects like the chorus having IMO not this quality. It needs better included "basic" effects like a real great delay (something like NI Replika but better), chorus, phaser etc
  • There is still a problem with routing audio outside of Cubase, eg. if you need to record the Cubase output with a screen recorder. It needs something like a virtual audio card/bus thing so it's easier to connect Cubase with the rest of the world (I know there are some solutions like virtual cable etc. but this needs always some switching and routing of stuff.. this could be a lot easier).

SubliminalSpectrum wrote:It's a shame that the content of my post was scooped. It was simply left with all the context removed. I was in no way bragging about using pirated software and wouldn't do so. There's nothing to brag about in using pirated software, quite the contrary. I was attempting to talk honestly about what the impact on Steinberg's business decision in continuing to require a dongle for their software might be.

I've long read around here at KVR and this was my first post. It's extremely discouraging to see that honest discussion of the business impact of forcing physical restrictions in order to use software products is not allowed.

To provide some context for future readers here's the gist of what I had posted above. I bought C5 and upgraded to C6, but being a laptop user for most of my music production I ceased using the dongle and purchased version of Cubase for many years. I finally bought Elements at version 9 when the limitations were raised to a usable level in order to use an up to date version of Cubase without the dongle.

In the meantime Steinberg lost out in me paying for every upgrade. I'm very dissapointed in the restrictions in trying to have an adult conversation about such things here :|
umm no, you were justifying why you used cracked software...adult conversation or not it's simply not permitted
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

I'm pretty happy with 9.5 but if I was dreaming I would wish for some kind of unified routing system or even better some scripting or something like logic environment.

I personally find midi / audio / plugin routing all over the place in Cubase these days, and I know it's just the way it has always been and would need extensive rewriting, but using bitwig really opens the door to creative modular DAW use and it's pretty easy to get used to.
As for the logic environment comment, I use reaktor whenever I need to do something especially tricky, that I cant already manage with Cubase and my existing plugins, but it's the one thing in logic I've always been slightly jealous of, would be great to do more of this kind of thing within Cubase.
Hypnagog (Experimental Electronica) |
Terrafractyl (Psytrance) |Kinematic Records (Label)

Would've quoted Hink's post here but the spam filter won't allow it.
Yes, justifying why I used a piece of software that I paid $400 for. Your logic is flawed. Anyway, I wasn't trying to take this thread off topic, I was trying to followup on the thread's previous discussions on whether or not Steinberg will finally drop the dongle in version 10.

All the same, I'm really hoping they drop it soon.

I'd also love to see some more UI and color options as many have noted here. The color palette is severely limited in the way of customization.

SubliminalSpectrum wrote:
Would've quoted Hink's post here but the spam filter won't allow it.
Yes, justifying why I used a piece of software that I paid $400 for. Your logic is flawed. Anyway, I wasn't trying to take this thread off topic, I was trying to followup on the thread's previous discussions on whether or not Steinberg will finally drop the dongle in version 10.

All the same, I'm really hoping they drop it soon.

I'd also love to see some more UI and color options as many have noted here. The color palette is severely limited in the way of customization.
I'm sorry you dont get it, my logic is not flawed...you said you were using cracked software...whether you paid for the software and feel you are justified using cracked software to circumvent the dongle matters not.
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

I don't know about Cubase 10, but if my understanding is right... one can't even try the Cubase Pro 9.5 demo trial without buying a dongle....? I mean is that really the case... Is there no other activation system available ?
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

No, the trial version of Pro requires the physical key. I think the lite versions, some just use the software eLicenser.

And don't hold your breath they're ever going to get rid of it.

Anyway, Note Expression is what I was watching and here's how to leverage Cubase using it for multiple expression (this even uses VST 2 for it):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLOJ3cIDVBg

THE INTRANCER wrote:I don't know about Cubase 10, but if my understanding is right... one can't even try the Cubase Pro 9.5 demo trial without buying a dongle....?
Yes.
THE INTRANCER wrote: I mean is that really the case... Is there no other activation system available ?

No.

One can try the Elements version without a dongle to get a feel of the UI and the sound engine which is the same though (scroll to the bottom of the page in the link below).

https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/s ... ubase.html

=============================

And in general, not to you intrancer,

I don't come here very often anymore, but I see one of the olden complaints of the Cubase dongle still lives.. :o I guess it always will as long as Cubase is around though. :dog:

Cubase has required a dongle for decades to function, I'm not sure bellyaching on a relatively small forum on the web is going to change that. I mean it hasn't worked in the roughly 16 years I've been here off and on, but you can keep trying... on the other hand you can either spend the 30 dollars and get on with it if you want to use Cubase, try the elements version that requires no dongle, or find another DAW to which there are many robust ones these days.

It is a 550 USD piece of software... 30 bucks isn't going to break you. If it is then why are you looking at a 550 dollar software application?

30 extra bucks just to prevent that I steal a piece of software that I've already paid the full price for? Seriously?

I've using Cubase since the Atari days but stopped at 8.5. For me this will be the last version with a dongle that I've ever bought as I'm mobile only for a few years now. I skipped 9.0 as it still had a dongle. I skipped 9.5 as it still had a dongle. I will skip 10 if it has a dongle. That's a lot of money that Steinberg didn't get from me because of this small plastic POS.

In the meantime I've switched DAW and even OS and looked back very rarely. Will I buy a Cubase 11 when it doesn't need a dongle anymore? I doubt it.

I have no problem using a dongle with my desktop.

I hate using it with a laptop though.
I have one dongle that got thoroughly mangled when the laptop got accidentally bumped to the floor.
I don't know what the solution is though.

As for Cubase 10 features, I really can't think of too much I'd add.
Cubase has come a long ways since its start, and I'm really pretty happy with 9.5

VitaminD wrote: And in general, not to you intrancer,

I don't come here very often anymore, but I see one of the olden complaints of the Cubase dongle still lives.. :o I guess it always will as long as Cubase is around though. :dog:

Cubase has required a dongle for decades to function, I'm not sure bellyaching on a relatively small forum on the web is going to change that. I mean it hasn't worked in the roughly 16 years I've been here off and on, but you can keep trying... on the other hand you can either spend the 30 dollars and get on with it if you want to use Cubase, try the elements version that requires no dongle, or find another DAW to which there are many robust ones these days.
:clap:

It's so hard these to not just vote with your wallet and not buy something.

chk071 wrote:
VitaminD wrote: And in general, not to you intrancer,

:clap:

It's so hard these to not just vote with your wallet and not buy something.
I hope you don't mind me summarizing both of your thoughts here.

"I don't use Cubase with a mobile device, so this is a non-issue for me. Thus, your complaints of it being an issue for you are invalid and do not belong in a discussion of what changes and features you would like to see come to Cubase 10."

Also, I'm not sure your familiar with the concept of vote with your wallet. The point that several of us have made is we do vote with our wallets, BUT there is no context for Steinberg to know the lack of sales were attributed to the requirement of a dongle. If they never had a dongle and then all the sudden required it and saw a large drop in sales, then that is clearly attributable to people voting with their wallet.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”