Any longterm 2nd Sense Wiggle users?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
WIGGLE

Its on a low offer at the moment.
https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... 632-WIGGLE
Had a play and quite like the pads I am getting with plenty of movement (wiggling). I think I remember talk of bugs and CPU issues when it come out and there have been no updates for a year or indeed any activity from 2bd Sense (abandon ware?).
Can anyone give a view based on more extensive usage?
Last edited by SHall1000 on Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bought it when it first came out. I've never had any issues with it, CPU or otherwise. Of course this doesn't mean you won't but hopefully this is at least a little encouraging.

Thanks Wags.
I just found this thread which is a bit worrying.
viewtopic.php?t=484148
Does anyone know if this was fixed?

I have just tried Wiggle yesterday and found that the CPU bug in Ableton 10 is still there and very annoying. Some patches are fine but most of them I tried show extreme CPU percentages when idle (around 45 - 60 %!), i.e. no sound played. Once I press some keys the CPU load decreases to an acceptable Level (around 10 - 15%). The current Workaround would be to start Wiggle within Maschine or Komplete Kontrol but that's not an Option for me.

Everything else was fine (except some graphic issues with the morph pad) and beside this CPU issue I like it a lot. But unfortunaley that's a no go for me. But if you don't experience that behaviour... maybe that is just affecting Ableton?

Love it in cubase... no probs here been usin it for bout a year

@KXN - Yes. I have the high idling CPU with some presets in Ableton. It seems to be the effects modules, particularly the distortion. CPU percentage drops markedly when you turn it off. I am worried the lack of updates and the cheap sale mark the end of development for this.

I use wiggle in linux with wine/reaper, and it's a blast.
Wiggle has likely improved since the first release
and the two-year old thread. Hopefully with more updates
and a long future. I love the preset browser, one of the best.
Cheers

Bought it during a sale a few months back and think the original premise was pretty good but think much of it is just poorly implemented.

It aliases pretty badly, step sequencers have no glide/smoothing so they remain noticeably "steppy" when modulating parameters, filters are pretty awful and have no key follow, fx sound really cheap and nasty, most updates have simply added presets but ignored bugfixes or improvements and it still has the same idling cpu issues in Ableton (and possibly other Daws) in what I think is now version 1.8 which is shameful.

It has a lot of potential with the endless morphing and modulation possibilities, and seemed quite an innovative concept but it feels half-finished and consequently frustrating to use IMO.

It's on sale for $49 in Plugin Boutique.

I have demoed it and liked a lot what I heard. I haven't noticed any noticeable aliasing, but anyway, i think all FM synths aliases! There is a x4 quality settings, so maybe this can reduce the aliasing.

I'll test it more at night before deciding to buy it or not.

Edit:
It is a very nice synth and sounds really good. I have a good positive feeling about it and I like it. Anyway, I'm not sure I will buy it (or buy any other synth! I have too many to handle!).

On sale at Thomann for €9.60

https://www.thomann.de/gb/2nd_sense_audio_wiggle.htm

IIRC I demoed this and found the high CPU issues in some presets referred to in this thread were down to the effects, especially the distortion.

Ah yes! I did remember correctly it was 4 posts ago. :oops:

It's a steal at that price! I got it when it was on sale at PB (I thought 50% off was pretty decent).

Btw, how did you find that deal on Thomann, I tried browsing the current deals and didn't see it listed https://www.thomann.de/gb/special_softwaredeals.html.
They're also missing a trick by not showing the original price next to the sale price in the list, and how much % you're saving!

I like wiggle. I like the idea of the modulating waveform segments. I am sure there are other synths that do it but I don't have any others, and I have a lot of synths. I like how its implemented. There are other ways to do it - the way Wiggle does it is certainly workable. It has a unique workflow and sound. :party:

I bought Wiggle last night cos it was dirt cheap, since I'm also using Ableton I'll see if i get the same problem with CPU and report back later.

Purchased it recently due to the sale. I had demoed it a while ago and didn't bite then. For this price it's definitely worth it.

Effects are plentiful but average, and it's missing a lot of opportunity with a limited set of modulation. It doesn't even support mod wheel. For real-time expression you're limited to velocity, using a keyswitching modulator, or using your DAW to MIDI Learn a control. It's solvable, but it's sorely missing keytracking (also solvable in some DAWs). And I'd love aftertouch and other CCs.

However, if you play to its strengths it is highly rewarding. It's fundamentally an FM synth, and the DX7 didn't have a filter or effects and it was wildly successful and still sounds fantastic. The oscillator shaping is deep and unique; if you like Z3ta 2 for the waveshaping this will knock your socks off. You've got four of these deep operators that can all operate on each other (including feedback), plus a euclidean/XY pad that can follow a path, a pretty good sequencer with sequencer mods, and 8 mod LFOs/Envs.

Amplitude is controlled at the individual oscillator level, or you can use an envelope mod on the mixer control (kind of a waste of a modulator). The individual oscillator envelopes could use a copy/paste control.

If you're more of an automation-type person, it's great. You can get some really aggressive tones for EDM out of this. This was practically built for evolving sounds. It's also capable of all the standard FM stuff and then some (though oscillators can only go -2/+2 octaves -12/+12 semitones, -100/+100 cents). The morphing snapshots is great. It's smooth and not many synths do this. Sound-wise, it's clearly digital, and I'm likely going to put analog effects on it if I need to. But again, play to its strengths and it will shine.

CPU usage is middle-of-the-road for me, especially given the type of synthesis and scope of modulation here. But yes, at idle I am seeing it shoot up on Reaper. I'm taking it offline if I don't need it playing and it releases the CPU. I encountered a similar issue when I demoed Initial Audio Sektor (don't know if it's resolved) so it's not an uncommon bug.

Return to “Instruments”