Is there a non-keyboard alternative to Komplete Kontrol?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks a lot guys. It did map all the Kontakt/Reaktor player content and my other NI plugins, and it also lists all the presets from other VSTs so that's cool.

I'm getting hold of an old Kore 2 and a software license to see if I can get it up and running on my Mac at all.

If not I might just splash for a S49 keyboard after all.
My Soundcloud Too many pieces of music finish far too long after the end. - Stravinsky

Read these:

https://www.native-instruments.com/foru ... st-1616379

Basically the hardware runs but needs SIP disabling after Sierra, it worked fine on El Cap (I control it using my Komplete keyboard now - although turning off SIP is an option)

To install from scratch you need to modify some lines in the installer as it tells you it won't run on later MacOses

https://www.native-instruments.com/foru ... st-1558901

@aMUSEd - are you saying you control the Kore software via your Kontrol keyboard? What specifically does Kore software do that Komplete Kontrol does not offer.
My Soundcloud Too many pieces of music finish far too long after the end. - Stravinsky

kovacs - have you looked at a Nektar P1? I have one to supplement Maschine when I'm in Reaper. The P1 automatically maps eight knobs, and you can map every button and fader via CC to a VST instrument.

@Wholiveira - thanks for suggesting the P1. I actually read about it last night. I thought it was getting a bit long in the tooth perhaps? Is it still supported by Nektar tech?

kovacs wrote:@aMUSEd - are you saying you control the Kore software via your Kontrol keyboard? What specifically does Kore software do that Komplete Kontrol does not offer.
Well for a start it just means I can access the huge database of patches I already had in Kore, but also Kore can build complex multis, KK can't. But mainly for me it's Kore features as an instrument such as morphing that makes it stand out.

aMUSEd wrote:Using it with none NI keyboards is limited though as mappings switch depending on the instrument loaded, you don't get the seamless mapping you do with an S series keyboard (eg I tried running it in Kore before I got the keyboard and ended up having to create multiple templates for different plugins, I'd have expected just to be able to map the 8 knobs and that would be it but NI have made it so it changes depending on the plugin loaded)
Do you mean the 8 knobs as virtually on your monitor screen within Komplete Control or 8 knobs that've been linked to them on a midi keyboard / controller?

I mean there is no fixed relationship between the 8 hardware knobs and 8 software knobs per user page if you use a third party controller, the positions jump around between plugins. It's only consistent when you use the keyboards it was designed for or Maschine.

aMUSEd wrote:I mean there is no fixed relationship between the 8 hardware knobs and 8 software knobs per user page if you use a third party controller, the positions jump around between plugins. It's only consistent when you use the keyboards it was designed for or Maschine.
That's what in thought you meant...just wanted to check! :0)

I agree - but setting up templates for each VST needs to be done just the once if you go down the that route...have to admit that I don't very often!

I do two things which are very quick as I compose...

1) I use my (admittedly stupidly expensive and highly accurate) mouse on the software knobs for shortish bits of automation.
or
2) I just right click and connect a hardware knob / software know via MIDI Learn when I need to...works 100%.

(Of course I sometimes just draw in automation envelopes anyway - at times it just works better)!

But, anyway, for the OP...NOT having Komplete means it's all off the agenda anyway really.

kovacs wrote:@Wholiveira - thanks for suggesting the P1. I actually read about it last night. I thought it was getting a bit long in the tooth perhaps? Is it still supported by Nektar tech?
The P1 is still listed on Nektar's product and support page, and they haven't come up with a replacement for it, unlike their keyboards. I've never had a problem, so I don't know how responsive Nektar is regarding support issues.

I was kind of in the same boat as you. I wanted something that gave me better mapping and controls, as well as faders, without being attached to a keyboard, that could sit on a desktop, and was not optimized for one particular vendor's products. The P1 just works. Once I get back to the stage I'm going to consider getting Nektar's Pacer foot controller or something similar.

kovacs wrote:I feel slightly outdated on the status of equipment.

I have looked at the Komplete Kontrol keyboards and they seem to be great. However I already own a couple of MIDI keyboards and don't really see a need to replace them ...

...I am a guitar player (classical, acoustic and electric - in that order).

I like the idea of being able to preview sounds,
First, congrats on regaining your health, and diving back in! :hyper:

Reading between the lines, it looks like you are enough of a player,
to use keyboards well enough to add your better guitar skills.
Not knowing your budget, I'd suggest you demo BlueCats software AxePack,

https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Bundle_AxePack/

the four major parts are Axiom, Patchwork, Late Replies, and Destructor,
each have demos, and form a well integrated approach to guitar-centered
audio production, but certainly of high value to any sound or instrument.
The pack also hosts 3rd party vsts within both Axiom, and Patchwork,
so really there are few limitations.
Perhaps of more immediate value, than mud-wrestling with
complex keyboard apps that you didn't find a great need for, in earlier years?

Of course, if budget allows, 'both, and more' is always fun :wink:
Making music is good therapy, it might even lower some medical bills
in the long run, covering initial outlay$

https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/P ... PatchWork/

Cheers.

glokraw wrote: Not knowing your budget, I'd suggest you demo BlueCats software AxePack
Perhaps of more immediate value, than mud-wrestling with
complex keyboard apps that you didn't find a great need for, in earlier years?

Of course, if budget allows, 'both, and more' is always fun :wink:

Making music is good therapy, it might even lower some medical bills
in the long run, covering initial outlay$
Thank oyu, glokraw. That was refreshing view on my possibilities. :hug:

I don’t really struggle with keyboards, though. I am not a keyboard player as such but I had to endure years of piano practice back when I was a guitar student in the early 1990s. As for guitar equipment I do use Guitar rig 5, Positive Grid Bias (on iPad) and a Boss GP-10 foot board. Even though I actually find Logic’s guitar tools to be quite excellent.

The last song posted here is guitar going clean into my audio card and recording using Logic Pro tools.
https://soundcloud.com/turbotobben

It seems to me that patchwork actually allows guitar players to work with any VST/AU instrument and effect??? That’s very interesting.

My real quest in this thread is however to control my DAW (Logic) in a more practical way, including patch previews. So I am imagining I could use a new hardware device for it.

I’ll demo your suggestions, it might give me new perspectives on things.

@aMUSEd - I actually got the Kore 2 software running on my Mac now. It activated fine via the Native Access app, and I can control it with a novation Midi keyboard.

Now I just need to figure out how to expand it. It does not appear to load anything but the Kore factory sounds.

kovacs wrote:@aMUSEd - I actually got the Kore 2 software running on my Mac now. It activated fine via the Native Access app, and I can control it with a novation Midi keyboard.

Now I just need to figure out how to expand it. It does not appear to load anything but the Kore factory sounds.
Cool - the Native Access thing is a surprise, when I had activated it activation was still serials and online activation codes.

They don't sell soundpacks any more but occasionally they come up on sale in the marketplace. But some plugins have importable presets.

Alright, let me piggyback on this to ask something, since Mark figured he couldn't use the NKS not having Komplete. I do not have Komplete, but I have a number of things NI (and apparently will acquire more via buying the NKS controller).
Essentially enough to pass on Komplete (I will probably have bit at 50% off but I bought something very different).

Does this inkompleteness mean NKS is going to be a bit borked? It doesn't seem like it would mean much to me, but I'm looking at it for the first time because $$.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”