Vsts to deauthorize before formatting?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello, so I'm formatting my old laptop to give to my younger brother. It has many of my plugins installed and it seems like a few could get stuck in activation hell if I were to wipe my drive without deauthorizing them. If any plugins like this come to mind please let me know! Thanks.

Would probably be easier if you listed the plugins you have installed on the laptop.

Damn it's a lot.

NI
Korg
Waves
Ohm

Those are my biggest concerns

I mean, the companies will probably be kind if I get stuck and can't activate though. I might be overly paranoid about this! I did a format a few years back and can't remember if I deregistered anything or not

https://forum.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=7501466

Ah looks like Waves might be the one I had in mind

Anything involving on-disk iLok and eLicenser are the obvious ones that spring to mind. Waves stuff might be worth taking preemptive action with too. I had Waves authorisations break over seemingly nothing (e.g. installing another Waves product), so I decided they weren't worth the hassle and wrote off the comparatively small sum I'd invested in their ecosystem ($50 or so.)

I've never had issues with anything else C/R based. Even FXpansion (the only other company I use with their own 'license manager' style software) plugs authorised just fine on my new machine when my laptop unexpectedly died.

NI you won't have to worry about. Once upon a time you could do three auths and then you'd manually delete something via your account. That's ancient history. I have authorized certain of mine countless times, there is no particular anything in the way.

The current generation of Arturia products can be de-authorized from the Arturia Software Center before you reformat.

EDIT: Also, like someone else mentioned, if you ever used the option to install your Waves/iLok/eLicenser options on your PC instead of on a USB key, you MUST transfer those licenses back to the cloud before reformatting. Not an issue if you use dongles for everything.

Yes! Okay Waves is definitely the reason I made this post come to think of it. I need to send those licences back to the cloud. I'm so glad I waited to format the drive

arkmabat wrote:Damn it's a lot.

NI
Korg
Waves
Ohm

Those are my biggest concerns
OK. NI = no problem. KORG = should be no problem, should prompt to re-authorize on the new computer. Waves = no idea. Ohm = no idea.

If you have iLok licenses, as has been mentioned, de-authorize before formatting. And, if you have an eLicenser, make sure those licenses are on a dongle. Apart from that, i don't think there's too much need to worry. I already done all that, and, there were very few plugins i had to take care.

Waves is generally no issue at all (you should move the licenses back to the license cloud though) with the one exception of the Waves NX standalone app. They allow 3 authorizations with no possibilities to de-authorize a machine. If you migrate multiple times you eventually have to purchase a new license for the app. I am not kidding, got into a fight with Waves support about that one. The app is only 10 bucks though. I eventually decided that it made no sense to spend all that effort in trying to convince them that they are acting stupid.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”