Bitwig 2.4 MPE fixed?

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Also not using the Linnstrument script you can get pitch bends recorder in MPE correctly, apart from an annoying bug where it strangely adds a 24 down pitchbend at the start of each note even though everything is set to 12!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

Ps. the Roli scripts also have the same problem so I'm guessing it is something deeper than the scripts.

Hi Bob,

I’m afraid you’ll have difficulty getting results from any European during the month of August because pretty much everyone is on vacation. I’ve written to the principal programmer Claes about this but I wouldn’t expect any action until end of August. And Bitwig does have a LinnStrument.

Ok, super I will give up then as I can't get past the first level of support :)

DBL Post
Last edited by BobDog on Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hi Guys,

If you are fed up with waiting for BW to fix this you can find a Bitwig controller script that works at 12/24/48/96 here: https://github.com/AndrewCapon/BitwigScripts

Copy the GenericMPE.control.js to your controller scripts folder as follows:

Windows: %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Bitwig Studio\Controller Scripts\
Mac and Linux: ~/Bitwig Studio/Controller Scripts/

In BW Remove the Linnstrument controller and add "Generic->Generic MPE". Then set your midi channels and choose your PB range.

On your BW track set MPE on and set the same PB range.

You need to set the PB on the Linnstrument manually, I did have it doing it automatically but it was buggy so I removed it!

If you change your PB range you need to change it on the controller screen and in the MPE box on BW.

Cheers

Andy

One behavior I don't like with Bitwig MPE

If I play say a C3 note, slide it up to D3, then play another C3 note, at that point releasing the held D3 (which started as a C3) stops both notes. It should only stop the first note not both of them. Not sure if that is a bug, or how it is designed (it's the same in 2.3.4), but it gets in the way of expressive playing.

In Logic, doing the same thing behaves as I expect... releasing the first note only ends that note, not both. This is the 'correct' way... meaning most natural and expressive for playing.

I sent Bitwig an email about this.

It is a bug, I reported it. If you construct MPE polyphony with an Instrument Layer and Midi Channel Filters in front of multiple synths, it behaves correctly even in Bitwig...
Obviously it assigns the same Midi channel to the note I played previously, If I bend a note and then play the original pitch the bend is undefined varying between the bent not and the not bend note...
It is not keeping its Midi channel, as the Linnstrument certainly plays different Midi channels...

I'm guessing the problem is in the beta it works the same way it always has when it come to multiple notes of the same value.

Data like PB is attached to a note, all I think they have done is add "channel" to the note as well rather than the more logical idea of storing notes in channels.

Yes, it seems so, but then it will never be able to playback MPE as it had been recorded. There is a quirk in the concept. The principle for any recording should be: never touch it unless I tell you...

When it plays it back though it uses the channel that is attached to the note, so it fixes the main problem of channel information being lost.

I think Bitwig originally took on the VST3 idea of Note expression and built upon that idea when they implemented their instruments and means of storing expressive data. Changing this way of doing things entirely now is probably a lot of work, so adding channel to notes is an "easy" solution.

I guess if we all report it as a problem something may be done about the multiple same notes problem though?

BobDog wrote:When it plays it back though it uses the channel that is attached to the note, so it fixes the main problem of channel information being lost.

I think Bitwig originally took on the VST3 idea of Note expression and built upon that idea when they implemented their instruments and means of storing expressive data. Changing this way of doing things entirely now is probably a lot of work, so adding channel to notes is an "easy" solution.

I guess if we all report it as a problem something may be done about the multiple same notes problem though?
I heard back from Bitwig. It is filed as a bug, but not fixed yet

Nice one, I will email as well, the more the merrier.

BobDog wrote:Nice one, I will email as well, the more the merrier.
Fixed in beta 3!!

Wow, I wasn't expecting that!

Return to “Roger Linn Design”