Multiple Portable REAPER Installations

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
mcbpete
KVRian
1234 posts since 24 Jun, 2006 from London, England

Post Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:21 am

Guenon wrote:I think there is a greater than zero ;) probability you are doing these experiments also to get a rise out of people.
Definitely get that vibe too :D

enroe
KVRian
823 posts since 19 Mar, 2008 from germany

Re: Multiple Portable REAPER Installations

Post Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:32 am

harryupbabble wrote: Do a portable install, alter the Preferences according to a solution to a problem, lock the portable install with a Windows file-locking utility. Repeat as much as needed.
Yeah - absolutely! And conduct this experiment thousand times, preferably
20,000 times!
Guenon wrote: ... I'm saying this to anyone reading and considering going the "install hundreds of separate locked versions of the same DAW with slightly different preferences, then juggle projects between those instances" route (it's a thing!), seemingly just to be sure each version performs a separate task the way you want to do it.

This is way overly complicating things, especially when dealing with a DAW you can just import a specific configuration into when you really need to.
... Managing such scaffolding will very likely hinder your progress and the development of your flow in the long run.
Haha, yes - but I don't see "harryupbabble"s activities - especially
around the number 20,000 - as an attempt to create serious music.
Instead I think it is more a sort of art-project or a religious approach to
the number 20,000. And that's quite amusing! :D
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

BertKoor
KVRAF
10742 posts since 8 Mar, 2005 from Utrecht, Holland

Post Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:45 am

Guenon wrote:This idea might sound good at the very beginning of your journey, but managing such scaffolding will very likely hinder your progress and the development of your flow in the long run.
Sounds indeed like Harry is sitting in his comfy chair, planning an expedition to climb Mount Everest, taking no advice from people that actually have been to the Himalayas. So he plans to take very heavy shotguns in case he meets Incredible Snow Man, but forgets warm clothing for sub-zero temperatures.

Big Journeys are best taken just one step at a time. Better not plan too far ahead...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is back online!!

harryupbabble
KVRian
1238 posts since 20 Mar, 2012 from Babbleon

Post Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:17 am

@Guenon

I'm not posting stuff to get a rise out of people. If that was my intent, there are a lot of other sites to do that. But I don't have time for that. I only had time for trying to make REAPER usable. If I don't post stuff, Evil Dragon would not have solved my first problem and I might have given up on REAPER. If I didn't create that other post, you, Guenon, would not have have found a solution for that major major problem of slow file saving.

You say I reject people's advice but my REAPER posts are all about asking and accepting help. But not always. I still think that creating portable installs are less complex than exporting and importing configuration files. I can make decisions for myself and if things don't work out, then when I buy REAPER 6.0 I can always revisit these posts of mine and apply that "import/export configuration" advice.

I would like to believe that my posts are not totally useless. Maybe other people have the same problems and the solutions in my posts (provided by Evil Dragon and you and others) have helped them. And maybe they are taking those advice that I am temporarily not taking.

Besides, I like posting, almost as I love playing speed scrabble. Posting stuff has got to be good for the brain. I guess the good it's doing me is not obvious in my case. Hahahaha. But yeah I think it's helping a bit. Also, posting has aspects of composition? "Words are flowing like endless rain into a paper cup. Jai guru deva om."

Anyways, I think I can start using my 20,000 midi drum patterns creating something in REAPER 0.999.
REAPER 0.999 has drag and drop functionality and I bet pretty much all I need to test my current music-making method.

Enroe is right, I don't spend enough time making full complete songs. I spend more time in the quest for that "satisfactory music-making method" and dealing with newer REAPER's complexity.

Okay, yeah so, I think that's what I'll do now, test REAPER 0.999 to see if it can handle my current music-making method. Okay bye, y'all.
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

Guenon
KVRian
1486 posts since 17 Jun, 2005

Post Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:50 am

harryupbabble wrote:You say I reject people's advice but my REAPER posts are all about asking and accepting help.
Well, cheers to all that ;)

And who knows...
harryupbabble wrote:So, for example, in drive C, could I have a folder named "REAPER Portable Installations" and in it, these sub-folders:

"REAPER - Delete All Tom Toms"
"REAPER - Batch Export 20,000 Midi Items"
"REAPER - Lyrics"
"REAPER - Video"
"REAPER - Live Electric Guitar"
"REAPER - 16-channel Drum Setup"
"REAPER - Lua Script MIDI Randomizer"
Maybe it's only a matter of time Steinberg catches wind of this paradigm and launches a whole new lineup with Cubase - Delete All Tom Toms edition.

ghettosynth
KVRAF
11286 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Post Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:14 am

Technology masturbation is a way to avoid making music. I should know.

mcbpete
KVRian
1234 posts since 24 Jun, 2006 from London, England

Post Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:16 am

ghettosynth wrote:Technology masturbation is a way to avoid making music
harryupbabble wrote:If I recall correctly, it was around 2012 that I said to myself "I'm going to make a thousand songs by 2020". So far I only have about 40 really really really sucky songs.
Pretty sure these two posts are highly related :wink:

coolbass
KVRer
7 posts since 21 Aug, 2007

Post Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:35 am

I think a portable install per project AND a seperate PC per portable install.
I think this would be save for a newbie.
It 's the only practical way!

glokraw
KVRAF
6531 posts since 6 Oct, 2004

Post Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:21 pm

What? You been in jail for 11 years, get out, and find this thread to post in?!!! :lol:
Maybe you should rob another bank, and give Harry the $60 to buy Reaper? :wink:

@Harry, do what works for you! Listen to advice, consider it, even try it,
and continue doing what works for you. While finding out how to make
your Fab Forty into sonic delights.

One reason so much music lacks originality, is people get cowed into
doing what works for the herd. They eat, drink, breath, and think the 'herd',
soon they have no soul, and then instead of using Reaper, you meet him :dog:
Cheers

harryupbabble
KVRian

Post Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:09 pm

glokraw wrote:What? You been in jail for 11 years, get out, and find this thread to post in?!!! :lol:
Maybe you should rob another bank, and give Harry the $60 to buy Reaper? :wink:

@Harry, do what works for you! Listen to advice, consider it, even try it,
and continue doing what works for you. While finding out how to make
your Fab Forty into sonic delights.

One reason so much music lacks originality, is people get cowed into
Cheers
That looks like encouragement. if that's what that is then I'll take that. Thanks very much.

Someone at the REAPER forum already seriously offered to start a mini fund raiser to raise $60 for the.. let me Google it. yeah, The Harry Reaper Awesome Fund. I had to decline because "that can get complicated and I'm a simple guy".

That reminds me... pretend somebody donated 10,000 dollars to your PayPal account and then you celebrate and spend the whole 10,000 dollars and later on the donator says "I'm sorry but I misplaced that decimal or dot or whatever by mistake, please refund me 9,900 dollars" and you say "I already gambled it away, it will take me years to save that amount" and the donator says I'll see you in court, be prepared to pay the amount with interest included."

The above probably never happens but...

Damn, I had a question but I forgot. Oh wait I remember... are donations refundable?

Anyways, who do you mean by "him"? Do you mean the Grim Reaper? What crime did who commit to get 11 years in jail?

harryupbabble
KVRian

Post Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:15 pm

mcbpete wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:Technology masturbation is a way to avoid making music
harryupbabble wrote:If I recall correctly, it was around 2012 that I said to myself "I'm going to make a thousand songs by 2020". So far I only have about 40 really really really sucky songs.
Pretty sure these two posts are highly related :wink:
But, but, but... I'm not done yet. From now until December 31, 2020 is 867 days.
With my 40 really really really sucky songs already done,
I only need to finish 960 more really really really sucky songs in 867 days
to make a total of 1,000 really really really sucky songs.
I'm going to do my best making more really really really sucky songs.
And I'll gain more supporters telling me "Your songs really really really suck." :D :lol:

harryupbabble
KVRian

Post Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:18 pm

If I save a configuration file from REAPER 0.999 and load it into REAPER 5.941, will it work? I don't know.

If I do 47 REAPER portable installs on my Windows 7 computer and save all of them to DVD-R and copy those 47 portable installs to my Windows XP computer, will it work? I'm almost sure it will work.

Guenon
KVRian
1486 posts since 17 Jun, 2005

Post Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:27 pm

glokraw wrote:One reason so much music lacks originality, is people get cowed into
Cheers
We've been through that in other Harry threads ;). I've even helped him explore his methodology. The point is, there are actually robust features in place, in his chosen software, to facilitate exactly what he is considering here (storing discrete configuration states of the whole software). It's one thing to doubt this workflow, eh, and another thing to doubt the manner he's even getting there. I know, I know, it's the herd that uses features, better to manually maintain over a thousand separate installations of an application instead :ud: ...

harryupbabble
KVRian

Post Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:38 pm

Oh wait. Somebody robbed a bank and got 11 years. Aarrghh, I need to wake up. Oh wait no, I need to sleep. Okay, goodnight then, humans. Hey I just remembered that guy from one of the Mad max movies. His name is Humungous and he loves leather. Ah fark, I'm still typing. Stop. Wilco. But first I have to say goodnight to Guenon. I just noticed his presence above me. He is wearing a kilt and it's not a pretty sight. Okay, Guenon, goodnight.

do_androids_dream
KVRAF
2801 posts since 26 Oct, 2007 from Kent, UK

Post Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:05 pm

ghettosynth wrote:I'd just fork over the $60 so I could get a good night's sleep. I damn sure wouldn't agonize over it like you're doing here.
This. Just hand over the extortionately high sum.. then experiment to your hearts content (and it will be content knowing you're legit).

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”