monark?-is it worth getting if you have DIVA?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

EvilDragon wrote:
chk071 wrote:
EvilDragon wrote: It's not a matter of how many milliseconds the envelope times are, it's about the envelope slope.
Another argument i read a gazillion times. Why is exponential envelope slope =/ exponential envelope slope then? Or linear =/ linear. They really sound vastly different in many synths, thus having the same slope. The magic's gotta have to be somewhere else.
Analog envelopes aren't perfectly exponential or perfectly linear, AFAIK. Well perhaps they can be slew limited into perfect linearity, but not sure how fast would that be honestly. But we're not talking about linear env slopes here at all.

Here's a bit of tweaking on The Legend. Plenty snappy?

https://app.box.com/s/rfgwhzkuj42mkut11ef09fcdxc7d9b2f
As i mentioned, Legend IS snappier than Dune 2. Not as snappy as Monark though. And it sounds a bit hollow when Monark sounds boomy, smudgy and beefy. Can't explain it any better, sorry.

are you just using random adjectives now to wind tek up? :lol:

chk071 wrote:As i mentioned, Legend IS snappier than Dune 2. Not as snappy as Monark though. And it sounds a bit hollow when Monark sounds boomy, smudgy and beefy. Can't explain it any better, sorry.
Ah nothing like subjective adjectives fresh in the morning :)

I think I know why this might be, actually.

:D

(It's basically a 1-pole low shelf boost. :P)

It's all just different Minis, man. They weren't all like the one Monark models (which IS a particularly aggressive take on a Mini sound).

Thing is, when you tell people that you have an objection against the sound, or specific parts of the sound, they will ask you why, and, when you try to explain it to them, they won't understand, and ask you to be more specific/precise, and use less esoteric terms, but, how would YOU actually explain that? :) TBH, i think that most people who fiddled with synthesizers know what "snappy" is, or what "punch" means. You hear those terms in every second synth vid on Youtube, so, i wonder why KVR has such big issues understanding these terms. Not meant towards you, just in general, because it always comes up in discussions like these.
EvilDragon wrote: It's all just different Minis, man. They weren't all like the one Monark models (which IS a particularly aggressive take on a Mini sound).
I get that they differ in the detail, but, i do disagree that every emu is spot on.

Anyway, Teksonik and likes take this much too serious, and too "ultimate". I won't dismiss a plugin completely just because i believe that, in detail, it may have a couple of aspects which don't make it 100% authentic. The point is, there is no 100% authentic. Rather close or not so close. Of course, we're talking subtleties here. And devs better talk subtleties too, or the plugins will never be very close.

Well apparently, The Legend is spot on to the two Minis that the main man of BigTone Studios has? I mean, they went to model some effects that power supply has on the sound, even (not present in any other Mini emu)... That's as subtle as it gets. So my takeaway from this all is that those two Minis are just different sorts of "snappy"!

Don't know. I hear quite a bit of resemblance of Dune 2 in Legend. I'm sure Big Tone and Richard did the best they could. Just like any other dev does the best he can. Does that mean necessarily that it's a spot on emulation? The Minimoog emus all sound different to each other, even the ones modelled on the same series of units.

chk071 wrote:What do you expect me to reply to that? :) Make a point. Then we can talk.
Im not interested in talking. Im taking the piss. You use the same superlatives all the time. Its hilarious. Im sure you havent a clue how a synthesizer works. Its the only explaination for the constant use of infantile adjectives.

Maybe lay off the youtube videos for a bit....

Teksonik wrote:
recursive one wrote:
Teksonik wrote:
chk071 wrote:What do you expect me to reply to that? :) Make a point. Then we can talk.
Please define "Snappy" in real world terms like how many milliseconds is "snappy" ? Then we can talk. Otherwise you're just talking smack....again :wink:
When somebody tells you something like "man, this girl is so hot!", do you ask what is her body temperature?
No because "hot" has a real meaning. It can be defined as "beautiful"

which is subjective :wink:

I think chk071 is pretty close to the mark with his sonic descriptions. There is much he mentions/hears that I agree with.

chk071 wrote:Don't know. I hear quite a bit of resemblance of Dune 2 in Legend. I'm sure Big Tone and Richard did the best they could. Just like any other dev does the best he can. Does that mean necessarily that it's a spot on emulation? The Minimoog emus all sound different to each other, even the ones modelled on the same series of units.
Early Minis weren't particularly consistent :)

And yeah I'd say they got damn close with The Legend when comparing with the hardware they modelled (comparison vid is on their site). Just like NI got damn close with Monark to the hardware unit they had on hand (and their comparison audio is also available).

recursive one wrote:
Teksonik wrote:
Please define "Snappy" in real world terms like how many milliseconds is "snappy" ? Then we can talk. Otherwise you're just talking smack....again :wink:
When somebody tells you something like "man, this girl is so hot!", do you ask what is her body temperature?
Originally hot might actually have referred to a woman's body temperature, which increases up to half a degree C during her fertile days 8)

fluffy_little_something wrote:
recursive one wrote:
Teksonik wrote:
Originally hot might actually have referred to a woman's body temperature, which increases up to half a degree C during her fertile days 8)
you think men had built in flir back in the day?

vurt wrote:you think men had built in flir back in the day?
:)
In zoology "in heat" is a common expression for that phenomenon...

fluffy_little_something wrote:
vurt wrote:you think men had built in flir back in the day?
:)
In zoology "in heat" is a common expression for that phenomenon...

true indeed, but some animals do have flir ;)
not to mention, a jacobsons organ that still works. im guessing that most animals smell that a potential mate is in season.

but then, saying "you smell horny" isn't going to elicit the response youd hope for :hihi:

Well, I totally sense it when a woman or synth is hot 8)

Anyway, I think we might be slightly off-topic :hihi:

Return to “Instruments”