Madrona Labs Sumu

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

cron wrote:I think Madrona Labs have such a poor reputation on CPU hit because people see that an empty, silent patch causes notable CPU consumption by itself and they run a mile. Thing is, the CPU hit when you first open the synth is almost always the highest you'll ever see it go. All available voices are constantly running in (all?) ML plugs due to the architecture, where the concept of MIDI 'note-on/off' doesn't really exist outside of the envelope section. Doesn't matter how hard you're pushing things, CPU hit rarely changes. They're very predictable. Changing max available voices is just about the only thing that changes CPU hit in Madrona synths. They're on the heavy side, for sure, but there are plenty of synths out there which get heavier with a comparable number of voices playing.

exactly! and he explained on the forum some years ago. i can't recall if this info is in the manual somewhere though...

https://madronalabs.com/topics/3565-get ... t-of-kaivo
Always on
Like Aalto, and unlike most plugins, when you make an instance of Kaivo in a VST or AU host it is always running: all the algorithms are computing along at full tilt even though no sounds may be coming out. This feature lets you bring up the gate level manually or use Kaivo’s sequencer live without running the host, to play with sounds right in the plugin like you would on an analog modular system. This feature can be confusing if you’re not aware of it. I've had some feedback like “Kaivo had my CPU at 50% before I even played a note!” --- which sounds pretty scary, unless you realize that this is also the maximum it can use with the number of voices you have chosen.

this out today , in an email , regarding the summer sale :

" Sumu coming.

With the plugin updates completed, I'm now working full-time on the next software instrument, Sumu. It's going to be the last plugin in the patcher-in-the-middle format that Madrona Labs introduced with Aalto way back in 2010. Granular synthesis, as implemented in Kaivo, lets you decompose a sound into vertical segments (grains) each capturing an instant of the whole sound. A sines plus noise decomposition, used in Sumu, is a complementary tool that does very much the opposite, tracking individual sine wave partials of a sound horizontally through time in what's called spectral analysis.

Working with spectral data in a patchable environment has long been limited to the users of more general-purpose tools like Kyma and Max/MSP. With Sumu I'm designing a fixed set of modules that work in harmony together to make spectral sculpting a breeze.

That's enough from me for now. I should get back to it. I hope this finds you with enough air, water, food and music. I can only help with the last one but I think it's damn important. Stay strong, look to that horizon and keep in touch ... "

experimental.crow wrote:this out today , in an email , regarding the summer sale :

" Sumu coming.

With the plugin updates completed, I'm now working full-time on the next software instrument, Sumu. It's going to be the last plugin in the patcher-in-the-middle format that Madrona Labs introduced with Aalto way back in 2010. Granular synthesis, as implemented in Kaivo, lets you decompose a sound into vertical segments (grains) each capturing an instant of the whole sound. A sines plus noise decomposition, used in Sumu, is a complementary tool that does very much the opposite, tracking individual sine wave partials of a sound horizontally through time in what's called spectral analysis.

Working with spectral data in a patchable environment has long been limited to the users of more general-purpose tools like Kyma and Max/MSP. With Sumu I'm designing a fixed set of modules that work in harmony together to make spectral sculpting a breeze.

That's enough from me for now. I should get back to it. I hope this finds you with enough air, water, food and music. I can only help with the last one but I think it's damn important. Stay strong, look to that horizon and keep in touch ... "
Spectral modular uh? Sounds promising no doubt! Thanks for the update :tu:

looking forward to this - very interesting developer

Can't wait!!!
Computer musician / Ableton Certified Trainer / Mastering engineer
.com
3OP

And prepare some refrigerant & a good cooling system for your poor CPU! :-P :hihi:

dayjob wrote:i can't recall if this info is in the manual somewhere though...
It is. Well, it's in the Kaivo manual at least. Haven't checked Aalto and Virta. Another opportunity here for me to say that Madrona Labs write the very best manuals in the plug-in world. I even recommend reading them if you don't own the synth but are interested in the general area the synth covers. Lots of interesting discussion about aesthetics which you can apply to other synths, as well as being concise and easy-to-read operation manuals.

Really looking forward to whatever Sumu is going to bring to the table. I'm really hoping it includes some way to process modulation signals. I feel Virta in particular could have benefited there: a way to clip, slew, multiply etc modulation signals, plus a sidechain input to drive the modulation would have been nice. Either way, I'm sure it'll have that Madrona magic! Madrona Labs and Unfiltered Audio are the only companies where I own their entire catalogue.

cron wrote: Another opportunity here for me to say that Madrona Labs write the very best manuals in the plug-in world.
Yes they are, as much a guide to synthesis as an artform as they are the the plugin (closest I can think of was Howard Scarr's classic guide to the Virus Ti which is also a general guide to synthesis and very interesting to read, his Zebra manual is good too)

I'm really looking forward to the Sumu beta, Randy hinted it would be soon on his forum ("I'll send out a Sumu beta testing invite soon, hopefully!"). I wonder if soon is days, weeks, or months. :hyper:

Madrona Labs updated their website today, and there's a shiny new page for Sumu where you can subscribe to their newsletter for an invitation to the upcoming beta!
https://madronalabs.com/products/sumu

Ranoka wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:44 pm Madrona Labs updated their website today, and there's a shiny new page for Sumu where you can subscribe to their newsletter for an invitation to the upcoming beta!
https://madronalabs.com/products/sumu
Thanks for the heads up! :)

:tu: :party: :ud:

Can't wait for this one.

These guys are americans right? So whats with the finnish names for their synths? Just curious.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

They sound cool.

If I remember correctly, Randy actually googled "water" in a bunch of different languages when he made Aalto, and Aalto simply sounded the best.
I like the naming of the plugins. It goes very well together with the overall design aesthetic.

I have all the Madrona plugins, and I’m really looking forward to Sumu. Even if it breaks my CPU.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Return to “Instruments”