Cry Little Sister from The Lost Boys

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfx2aoTVBf0

Cry Little Sister, by Gerard McMahon, was a song I really enjoyed from The Lost Boys soundtrack. The Lost Boys is a 1987 American horror comedy film directed by Joel Schumacher, starring Jason Patric, Corey Haim, Kiefer Sutherland, Jami Gertz, Corey Feldman, Dianne Wiest, Edward Herrmann, Alex Winter, Jamison Newlander, and Barnard Hughes. The film is about two brothers who move to California and end up fighting a gang of young vampires.

I've always wanted to see what I could do with the song, so I hope that you enjoy my rendition. My good friend, Darren Sand, was kind enough to ask his 2 daughters, Audrey & Katherine, if they would sing the iconic, "Cry little sister", and "Thou shall not…." lines....in which they did a fantastic job with. Thanks also to my wife, Ann Marie, for vocal coaching the girls.

I hope you all enjoy it. :)

More 'cinematic' than the original in many ways...thoroughly enjoyed it!

All the various elements work together very well and the children's voices are spot on!

In the louder sections, I would possibly have liked the voices to be just a little bit higher in the mix occasionally? Very, very slightly lost at times? Could be my speakers though...listening at my PC on desktops.

Musically, the only thing I wanted was an even bigger rise in dynamics... an even bigger finish maybe, but it might not be appropriate in this instance...hard to tell without trying it! :0)

Thanks for listening. Yeah, it’s hard finishing these pieces because there are always so many more ideas I could experiment with, but eventually after so much time spent I need to wrap things up and get on to the next project. Now if I was actually getting paid for this, boy how fun it would be to experiment further with it. :)

I think i agree with Cham about something a little more dynamic/dramatic for the climax, but I still really enjoyed your take on the piece.

Brought back some good memories :)

"They're only noodles, Michael"

It did experiment with various build-ups towards the end, but every time I did it seemed to take it away from the gentle innocence of the chorus that I tried to implement versus the more directly scary-intense verses. Perhaps if I had more time I could have figured out a different way. Thanks for listening though. :)

Cool, I also always had a thing for that tune. Another thing I remember though is not seeing it as a comedy. That´s what it says on imdb I know, and maybe I was just young and naive back then..

You did a very respectful take on the song, and the only thing I´d say is that it´d be great with more reverb on the vocals plus other things to make them more huge though not necessarily cut through everything. For me, and that´s of course being biased by how I just remember the images of the clouds showing in the movie while the song is played, they have to be dreamy and from another world-ish.
Best Regards

Roman Empire

cool, but bass is weak and it lacks high end sizzle, making it sound
very mid-rangy to my ears.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Very nice interpretation of quite an iconic track and I enjoyed the listen. I do agree with layzer, as on my studio speakers it lacks a bit of bottom so to speak.
I invite you to 'voyage' over to https://adrianearnshaw.com, sign up for some fun e-mail 'blasts', and look forward to helping you launch your ears - and projects - into the stratosphere.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:I think i agree with Cham about something a little more dynamic/dramatic for the climax, but I still really enjoyed your take on the piece.

Actually made me watch it this afternoon...still works! :0)

so many great quotes:

'Death By Stereo'

'We trashed the one who looks like Twisted Sister'

'The bloodsucking Brady Bunch.'

'One thing about living in Santa Carla I never could stomach. All the damn vampires.'

Roman Empire wrote:Another thing I remember though is not seeing it as a comedy.
It's a comedy horror! :0)
quantum7 wrote:It did experiment with various build-ups towards the end, but every time I did it seemed to take it away from the gentle innocence of the chorus
I can see that - valid point...it might well ruin that aspect of it all!
Roman Empire wrote: it´d be great with more reverb on the vocals plus other things to make them more huge
Not sure about even more reverb..there's a lot already, but I can hear the final chorus as a small choir rather than just two voices...that is, of course, if you happen to have a small choir handy or the time to multitrack to the extreme!

I just listened again, having watched the film this afternoon...

It works very well..better than the version in the film for me! :0)

Are there a few minor technical issues?...Probably, but they don't detract from the listening experience for me at all.

ChamMusic wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:I think i agree with Cham about something a little more dynamic/dramatic for the climax, but I still really enjoyed your take on the piece.

Actually made me watch it this afternoon...still works! :0)

so many great quotes:

'Death By Stereo'

'We trashed the one who looks like Twisted Sister'

'The bloodsucking Brady Bunch.'

'One thing about living in Santa Carla I never could stomach. All the damn vampires.'

Haha! Brilliant! Don't have a copy anymore, nor the VHS player to play it with. Might see if I can find it streaming somewhere :tu:

Saw the DVD on the shelf of a local 'Exchange' shop..seemed like fate after listening here, so I went for it! :0)

Cost 50 pence! :0)

ChamMusic wrote:Saw the DVD on the shelf of a local 'Exchange' shop..seemed like fate after listening here, so I went for it! :0)

Well I checked Amazon Prime and HBO, but no luck. It is streaming on Youtube (2 euros), or I can get the dvd on Amazon for 5 euros. Not in a huge rush, so I bet I can find it cheaper.

I wonder.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
ChamMusic wrote:Saw the DVD on the shelf of a local 'Exchange' shop..seemed like fate after listening here, so I went for it! :0)

Well I checked Amazon Prime and HBO, but no luck. It is streaming on Youtube (2 euros), or I can get the dvd on Amazon for 5 euros. Not in a huge rush, so I bet I can find it cheaper.

I wonder.
Bound to at some point...

Hadn't realized there was a LOST BOYS Trilogy! I might check out reviews of the other two.

Although I don't know the original, I thought this was very enjoyable. The arrangement had a lot of compelling elements. I think the dramatic drums and the pipe organ would ideally be combined with more powerful vocals but the children's voices still worked well.

Return to “Music Cafe”