Bring Elka Back - Elka Panther organ plug-in

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Elka Panther Retro Pack

Elka Panther's tape delay "unit" gives me a boner. This should be a "input" effect similar to Native Instruments B4 VST input. One could rock it hard all night with this primitive effect. There is nothing wrong with the tape delay overload, quite controllable on this end. Reverb emulation sounds great but could use an extra drip, spring, splash, clash spooge option. Maybe a kick Elka's spring reverb tank option :phones: ?

nocturnal owl wrote:This should be a "input" effect similar to Native Instruments B4 VST input.
We are considering making this a separate effect so you can use it this way. But first release the Elka Panther.
nocturnal owl wrote:Reverb emulation sounds great but could use an extra drip, spring, splash, clash spooge option. Maybe a kick Elka's spring reverb tank option :phones: ?
It will not make the v1.00 release but it would be a nice option. I have put it on the future feature list.

Installed the latest beta today. Been following Martin's VSTs since I found them a few years back and I was kinda bummed to see the F and V "disappear" though on the other hand, glad to see them "reappear" as Arturia products, which meant extra (optional) features and resizable GUI (among many other things).

...and that's basically what I'm currently missing in Elka Panther, a resizable GUI (top of the list of things I'm missing) and some internal (GUI-side) preset browser (at the bottom of my list, because Preset selection is working fine through Reason).

Regarding the fidelity of it, it feels/sounds like what I would expect though only having had first hand experience with a few low, middle and high-end Farfisa organs but listening/watching Elka Panther videos, it feels as close to the real thing as one could ask for, more so, once configured to work properly with a 61key MIDI controller.

I do have some questions, like:

Will MIDI Learn be a available? (though it's working fine as-is with Reason's Remote)

Are there any plans to assign a different MIDI Channel or incoming note range for the bass pedal ?

Any plans to add control values (floating tooltip or on the top bar) ?

I know that the Settings page should be enough to deal with seeing the values and dealing with the lack of GUI resizing but I had to ask :)

[I'm Theo, the lead developer of Elka Panther.]
koshdukai wrote:Will MIDI Learn be a available? (though it's working fine as-is with Reason's Remote)
Yes, that is the plan.
koshdukai wrote:Are there any plans to assign a different MIDI Channel or incoming note range for the bass pedal ?
Yes, there will be two MIDI channels. The main channel will be for the regular keyboard and for controls, and a second MIDI channel just for the bass pedals.
koshdukai wrote:Any plans to add control values (floating tooltip or on the top bar) ?
Maybe... We will review the GUI, probably improve it a bit here and there, at some point, but likely not until after its release.

Hi Theo,

Great to know. Thanks for the info! :)

Version 0.9.4-beta is released and downloadable now. We especially like to know if project/FXP/FXB load/save, MIDI channels and pitch bend work. Everybody thanks for Beta testing this again.

Changelog:
  • Implemented project/FXP/FXB load/save.
  • Reordered plug-in parameters.
  • Implemented pedal bass.
  • [Panther 100] Implemented key contacts/click.
  • [Panther 100] Added chatter/preamp noise.
  • [Panther 100] Implemented busbar compression.
  • [Panther 100] Implemented swell pedal.
  • [Panther 100] Lowered treble voice volume.
  • [Panther 100] Improved vibrato model.
  • [Panther 100] Fixed output polarity.
  • [Panther 300] Implemented vintage key contact order.
  • [Panther 300] Added bass/treble bleed control via noise knob.
  • [Panther 300] Improved swell pedal model.
  • [Guitar Amp] Added automatic gain compensation.
  • [Guitar Amp] Improved amp/cab models.
  • [Guitar Amp] Implemented oversampling.
  • [MIDI] Implemented MIDI channels.
  • [MIDI] Implemented pitch bend.
  • Tweaked master volume parameter curve/precision.
Known Issues:
  • Tape delay output can overload at high feedback settings.
  • Panic doesn't silence tape delay, reverb.
  • Some knobs/controls add "zipper" noise.
  • On/off switch (bypass) doesn't work.

First Music made with Beta 4

https://soundcloud.com/stohgs/mep2

Remote Control / MIDI learn does seem to works in all DAW's except Digital Performer. If someone can confirm this does not work in their Digital Performer please do and communicate your DP version to us.

I'm probably too dense, but – how is MIDI learn supposed to work?

I Ctrl-click/Cmd-click/Opt-click on all the usual suspects (controls) in Logic, Live and DP but all I get is that little read-out window where I can type in an exact value. I guess I just don't get it… ;-)

I have DP 9.5 on Sierra 10.12.6 and would love to help.

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Spitfire31 wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:43 pm how is MIDI learn supposed to work?
Sorry. We are talking about the DAW's Remote Control / MIDI learn capability. We have not implemented in plug-in MIDI Learn. It is on the roadmap for release version 1.1

So DAW Remote Control / MIDI learn does not work for DP. It is reported here.

If seems you can't assign the mod wheel to tremolo depth in DP. We don't know DP to tell you how this works.

P.S. I (Martin) Will probably be in Stockholm October 25th

OK, now I understand.

DP has a very sophisticated system for assigning more or less anything to everything down to the smallest detail. I guess David P. hadn't RTFM… ;-)

The secret is called Consoles. You find it in the Project menu, second item from the bottom. Basically, you create a New Console. In the Console window that appears, from the drop down you select Controller Assignments. You click to select the relevant MIDI track with its corresponding VI, right-click and select Learn Source, wiggle you controller and then in the same way select Learn Target and wiggle the GUI parameter – done!

I had assigned MW to Vibrato depth much quicker than it took to write the above paragraph.

This is the simple way. You can also call up a Controller Assignment window with a drop down of all the relevant instrument published parameters, select value limits and so on and so forth almost in absurdum.

Once you have created the first Console, you can find a dedicated help subject in the – wait for it – DP Help menu.

Hope this helps!

It would've been great to meet for a beer in Stockholm, which is just an hour's drive from my little village of Nyköping. Unfortunately, from mid Octber I'll be staying in a slightly larger village, called Shanghai. :-( Next time!

Kind regards,

Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Spitfire31 wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:47 pm Next time!
Thanks Joachim! Lets do that!

Today Betas 0.9.0 till 0.9.3 will fall silent. Download 0.9.4 Beta if you like to try out and Beta test the Elka Panther. We hope you like this last improved Beta version.

We like to hear Musical test as the Elka Panther 0.9.4 beta (Stohgs Demo #3). So please mail us your demos too.

Return to “Instruments”