Reverse piano

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello, can someone help me with how do this artist ford. make this track in reverse?

The usual technique is to render the track, reverse it in your audio editor (Audacity and Wavosaur are both free), then import the resulting audio.

Some piano sample sets (Una Corda, for example) let you use reversed samples.

Having no idea what artist or song you mean ("Ford" is a name shared by a lot of people and you didn't specify a song) you mean, I have no way of telling which method was used; but as you now have enough knowledge to do it yourself, it hardly matters.
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

It is possible to make a reverse piano with the help of lifting the attack handle. another version of the reverse of the recorded sample. You can make a combination of the two ways with superimposition of reverb.
:phones:

You can record a piano part. Next you need to cut each sound separately. Each sample is converted to reverse. Add fade in and shift the whole part along the grid of the sequencer.
:phones:

Jafo wrote:The usual technique is to render the track, reverse it in your audio editor (Audacity and Wavosaur are both free), then import the resulting audio.

Some piano sample sets (Una Corda, for example) let you use reversed samples.

Having no idea what artist or song you mean ("Ford" is a name shared by a lot of people and you didn't specify a song) you mean, I have no way of telling which method was used; but as you now have enough knowledge to do it yourself, it hardly matters.
Oh wow, i forgot to include the link - silly me

https://soundcloud.com/ford/bedford-falls-reprise

It sounds like the piano is rendered then reversed, but it also sounds like the track is playing forward when reversed, som meaning that he mustve have played piano backwards to then reverse it to play forward.

Just record the piano track as midi notes. Reverse the midi track, render to audio, and reverse it again.
I'm sure the exact outcome of this process is a bit surprising to the original artist as well! Creativity is the name of the game...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Reminds me of the beginning of an SOS Band track, reversing on tape must have been easier, the song is 30+ years old:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULEzINHZv3o

If you are using a synth piano, maybe using negative filter envelope amount would do the trick. Never tried it, though.

The easiest way to get that reverse piano sound is to:

Bounce your midi piano performance to an audio file
Reverse that audio file (most DAWs have a simple way to do this)

That’s it! That will already get you that reverse piano sound, but your entire performance is going to be backwards. This means that whatever melody you came up with, it’s going to be entirely reversed. So this method is not ideal because it yields a different melody than the one you originally wrote. If you want to write a melody, and then have a “reverse piano” version of that melody, keeping the original note order, then do this:

In midi, duplicate your original melody (so you’re not editing the original).
Go to your piano roll, select your midi, go to “Functions” > ”Midi Transform” > ”Reverse Position”.
Extend your region or tweak the reverse position export settings.
Draw your new midi in place of the original melody.
Export that new midi to audio.
Reverse that audio.

That’s it! Now you have your original melody played in reverse piano sounds. You might have to drag that audio region around to have the timing be how you want it to be. Note that those step-by-step instructions are for Logic Pro X, but you can follow the principles to do this in the DAW of your choice. This should give you the sound that you’re going for.

Using reverse sounds in your music is a great way to add intricacies, energy and movement to your tracks. There are many creative ways in which you can use reverses, like creating otherworldly soundscapes or adding subtle grooves and accents to your existing lines.

This article shows some different ways in which you can implement reverses in your music if you want similar results to what ford did in “Bedford Falls - Reprise”: https://hyperbitsmusic.com/5-creative-c ... -reverses/

Cheers, and happy reversing!

BertKoor wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:30 pm Just record the piano track as midi notes. Reverse the midi track, render to audio, and reverse it again.
I can't believe I've never thought of doing that :dog: :tu:

Return to “Sound Design”