Connecting to iPad via iConnectAudio4+

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Folks,

So...

Based on the countless complaints I've read on iConnectivity's forum, and the nearly 7 thousand views that one thread in particular has garnered (the thread that I started), I think it's safe to assume that if you've ever attempted to use one of iConnectivity's interfaces to connect your LinnStrument to an iPad, chances are you've encountered connectivity problems. Ironic, I know. Anyway, the most common problem is that the iPad refuses to accept a charge from the Device Port on the iConnect and therefore fails to recognize the interface at all, which in turn means that no audio or MIDI can get in or out of the iPad. What's worse is, these issues are never consistent from one device to the next. However, there is one common cause.

The problem is in the custom Lightning-to-USB cable that is supplied with all iConnectivity interfaces: i.e. it has an in-line chip that regulates power (amongst other things), and this chip is at the mercy of Apple's ever-changing protocols. So depending on what generation iPad (or iPhone) you have, and what iOS you're running, it's anyone's guess as to whether or not the Lightning Port on the iPad will accept the iConnectivity Lightning cable. And the reliability of this connection changes from update to update without warning or explanation.

There is a solution though: i.e. simply replace the iConnectivity Lightning cable with a standard USB cable, and use Apple's larger $40 "Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adaptor" (the one with the additional Lightning port for connecting a USB power supply) to connect that USB cable to your iPad. So the connection scheme would be thus:

LinnStrument --> USB cable --> Host Port on the iConnect
Device Port on the iConnect --> USB cable --> Apple's Camera Adapter --> iPad (or iPhone)
The iPad's own power supply --> Camera Adaptor

This way the iPad is receiving power from its own power supply, while the LinnStrument receives its power from the Host Port on the iConnect, and the connection between the iConnect and the iPad has effectively been converted into a simple USB 3 connection using an Apple-approved dongle; therefore neither the iConnect nor the LinnStrument have to care anymore about what has changed (or is likely to change) with respect to Apple's protocols from one day to the next.

The bottom line is, it works and it's reliable. So save yourself a world of frustration and adopt this method posthaste!

Why iConnectivity's own tech support won't tell you this, and why they haven't posted this information up on their forum for everyone to see, despite hundreds of complaints, I have no idea. Pride I gather. Regardless, this solution was given to me by the Vice President of Sales and Marketing at iConnectivity, after I called him demanding a refund. Ahem!

As far as I'm concerned, this fix should have been public knowledge over a year ago. At any rate, now you know.

Cheers!

P.S. This solution should work for ALL of iConnectivity's audio/MIDI interfaces.

Interesting, I have the original 30 pin cable on my midi4 and that has always worked fine.

I was thinking of getting the lightning lead so I will look at you aproach instead.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

Thank you
i actually never had any connection problem with iconnectadio4+. Did you find maybe the linnstrument to perform better this way? We often said that the linnstrument + ipad solution is not always that good
Thank you

Well, that is precisely my point - connectivity problems vary from one device to the next with every interation of iOS, and are subject to change with every new update. But with the setup I've outlined above, you effectively eliminate any complications, because power is being provided to the iPad by its own power supply, and the USB 3 connection to the iPad is being handled by Apple's own dongle. Case in point, when I bought that dongle and first plugged it in, I immediately got a prompt from the iPad saying there was a firmware update available for the attached peripheral. Sufficed to say, that would never happen for the in-line chip in iConnectivity's Lightning cable.

At any rate, yes, it has been my observation that the LinnStrument does in fact perform better when connected to the Audio4+. I attribute this to the fact that it's receiving ample (and autonomous) power and the fastest possible USB connection.

I've had zero issues since I adopted this method, and that's all that really matters to me.

Cheers!

I have never had any issues with mine except charging the iPad Pro when it's completely dead. It works with my Air 2 and iPhone too. I have seen that some people have had issues but mine certainly hasn't been one. Glad you found a workaround.

SneakyT wrote:I have never had any issues with mine except charging the iPad Pro when it's completely dead.
Not being able to charge your device from dead is not a trivial matter if, like me, you use it in live performance situations. All it takes is accidentally forgetting to turn the iPad off, or not turning on "Airplane Mode" during transit. It's not uncommon to show up to a gig with no time to spare before stage call, only to find out the iPad is dead because it has been roaming for a WiFi or Bluetooth signal the whole time. So again, the above fix would absolutely apply to you, if you were using your iPad Pro in time-sensitive situations like me. The bottom line is, there should be no exceptions or provisos whatsoever, it should simply work.

Regardless, I posted this info for those who are actually experiencing issues and actively looking for a solution...

Cheers!

even for people without problems (yet) it is useful info, the price of the two alternatives is about the same and the apple adapter has more advantages.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

^This! Thank you. I genuinely appreciate you saying that, Bob.

I know people are just trying to participate in the conversation, but it bothers me sometimes, you know, when you take the time to post useful information for those who might need it, and instead it just solicits a bunch of responses from people who can't resist telling you how it doesn't affect them.

I'm not saying that anyone meant any disrespect, I'm just saying... It's nice to know you've actually helped people; especially when the problem is so ubiquitous. I mean, it's not like I was asking if this happens to anyone else. Literally hundreds of people have been bashing their heads against this wall since iOS 11 dropped. And as previously stated, this particular problem can happen to ANY ONE OF US, AT ANY TIME! Hell, iConnectivity themselves have publicly acknowledged the predominance of this problem, with great frustration I might add, yet people still feel the need to say "That's weird, doesn't happen to me, blah, blah...".

*Hint: you're not helping (wink).

So again, if you use your iPad for professional purposes, or should you simply wish to better your odds and hopefully avoid any connectivity problems going forward, this is the solution.

Cheers!

Thanks for the tip, I was able to connect my ica4+ to iPhone XR using the CCK.

I will lose direct charging but at least the audio can go through.

Not sure if the issue is with the iConnectivity cable though - I am able to charge the phone with the same cable plugged into an icm4+, either port. Both ports on the ica4+ though, no power suddenly - coincindentally (maybe?) we had a 5-10 second power outage here today... hmmm :(

At least I do know not to order/test a replacement iConnectivity cable.

Thanks again for the info!

If you get the larger CCK (the one with the additional port for connecting a power supply), you can charge your device using its own power adapter while still sending audio and MIDI to and from the 4+ over the USB connection.

That's what I've been doing for a year-and-a-half now... Haven't had a problem since.

Cheers!

John, big BIG ups for posting this! You have pinpointed a very specific and powerful example of the controller-to-iOS paradigm that many of us have adopted. The fact is, the chain of

USB-A power supply --> Standard USB-A to Lightning cable --> power port on the USB3 Camera Connection Kit
Controller USB-B output --> Standard USB-B to USB-A cable --> USB-A port on the CCK
CCK Lightning connector --> iOS device

always, always works. Your iOS device stays charged, the USB connection is dead solid reliable, and everyone wins.

Note that this also works for USB audio and audio/MIDI interfaces, and will happily pass MIDI as well as audio, as needed.

My classic traveling rig is a Novation AudioHub 2x4 interface with built-in 3-port USB hub. Plug in its dedicated power supply, add the connections above, and it will let you run three USB controllers at once into your iGizmo, no sweat. Unfortunately it's been discontinued, which is a damn shame, but they're still available used if you look around a bit.

I am currently running my LinnStrument at home with the currently-available Alesis ControlHub. The LS is connected to the ControlHub via 5-pin MIDI, the LS is powered over USB from a standard iPad supply. and the interface talks to my iPad Mini 5 via the above hookup. One hundred percent reliable every time.

The iConnectivity Lightning-to-USB-B adapter cables with inline power management are notorious for being unreliable, but you have finally pinpointed why, for which I am very grateful. Until you posted this, I hadn't put two and two together and figured out what the problem was, and my AUDIO4+ has been gathering dust, having let me down AGAIN. Now I can start using it again!

People seem to have a mania for trying to put together systems with the fewest possible cables, even if that requires kludges that stop working without warning. Any serious iOS-based musician who does not own one USB3 Camera Connection Kit for each of their iOS devices has no business complaining about stuff not working. Where adapter cables let you down, the CCK always comes through, and you save yourself time and sweat if you start with a CCK in your network.

mike
Mike Metlay, PhD (nuclear physics -- no, seriously!) :D
listen to me: Mr. Spiral | join the fam: RadioSpiral | my gig: Atomic Words LLC (coming soon)

Glad I could help (grin).

The Audio4+ in particular is a very flexible interface, and there's simply nothing else like it on the market, so it's good to have a solution for making it work reliably.

Cheers!

I'm really glad I found this post (even though it's six months later). I have a new iPad Air 3 that won't charge from the Audio4+. It worked fine with my iPad 6. MIDI and audio work ok with the Air 3, but no charging. I tried the dongle trick just now with a no-name adaptor--MIDI worked, but no audio.

Question: is the problem with the no-name adaptor. It looks exactly the same as the one on the Apple online store. Is there something in the Apple one that will make this work with my Air 3? A proprietary chip, or something?

Thanks,
Steve
Keyboards >iOS (AUM, Enso, MIDI Designer, Ravenscroft 275, synths, etc.) Plus orchestral clarinet with pickup > Eventide stomp boxes > iOS loopers/fx. www.ThinAirX.com; ThinAirX on Soundcloud.

Stevee00 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:16 am Question: is the problem with the no-name adaptor. It looks exactly the same as the one on the Apple online store. Is there something in the Apple one that will make this work with my Air 3? A proprietary chip, or something?

Thanks,
Steve
I hesitate to comment on newer tech (the iPad Air 3 in this case) that I haven't personally tested; but the short answer is, yes, if you want reliable functionality, get the official Apple dongle. It's not trivial. That's the underlying point of this whole thread really. :wink:

Let us know how it all works out for you, if only to keep the community up-to-date.

Cheers!

John, thanks for confirming. I just ordered the Apple Lighting/USB3 dongle. I will report back.

It's weird the MIDI works with the no-name adaptor, but not audio. Fingers crossed the genuine Apple will do the trick.

iOS music is a PITA, but worth it. I'm forging ahead.

Steve
Keyboards >iOS (AUM, Enso, MIDI Designer, Ravenscroft 275, synths, etc.) Plus orchestral clarinet with pickup > Eventide stomp boxes > iOS loopers/fx. www.ThinAirX.com; ThinAirX on Soundcloud.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”