Who's getting the new Wave Alchemy Revolution Drum machine?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Revolution Revolution-606

dermage wrote:Anyone else has GUI problems with Revolution (Drums)?
Using Kontakt 5.8 / 5.8.1 (also before with 5.7.x) it has a kinda laggy response to mouse clicks. Also when moving the Kontakt window it stutters. I think with 5.8 it even got a bit worse.
haven't used it outside of Maschine in a while, but just started it up and noticed the same thing. serious pain in the ass, really frustrating to use it like this. i didn't experience the stuttering when moving the plug-in window.

oddly enough, after writing that i noticed that it's not doing it any more. try switching to the fx page and back to see if that helps you, that's when i noticed that it stopped lagging. weird. i'll check into it more later.

--

Well, I am still on Live 32bit with a project I want to finish and all I can say that Revolution is unusable inside Live 32bit for me. I'm even not able to configure a drumgroup and save it without running out of memory and crashing. Quite frustrating after hours of tweaking and trying. There also seems to be a bug with the assigned outputs. I'll give it another try when I am on Live 64bit. :roll:

c1c2 wrote:Well, I am still on Live 32bit with a project I want to finish and all I can say that Revolution is unusable inside Live 32bit for me. I'm even not able to configure a drumgroup and save it without running out of memory and crashing. Quite frustrating after hours of tweaking and trying. There also seems to be a bug with the assigned outputs. I'll give it another try when I am on Live 64bit. :roll:
Not really surprising since 32bit gives you a very small amount of ram to use per project and Revolution used a lot of ram. I wish they would release individual drum instruments that were per type rather than all drums allowable in the single instrument, in order to save ram.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:16 pm
c1c2 wrote:Well, I am still on Live 32bit with a project I want to finish and all I can say that Revolution is unusable inside Live 32bit for me. I'm even not able to configure a drumgroup and save it without running out of memory and crashing. Quite frustrating after hours of tweaking and trying. There also seems to be a bug with the assigned outputs. I'll give it another try when I am on Live 64bit. :roll:
Have they still not done that? Really interested in buying it, but the cpu/ram overload could destroy it for me.
Using the Roland 909 synth plugin at the mo which I really like, but it’s a little heavy on the cpu. However, this looks like it might be even worse!!
Not really surprising since 32bit gives you a very small amount of ram to use per project and Revolution used a lot of ram. I wish they would release individual drum instruments that were per type rather than all drums allowable in the single instrument, in order to save ram.

I'm considering picking this up while it's still 70% off. Not sure i need it but its a darn good deal. Anyone layer other samples over these round robin patches? How do they turn out?
I know the sound of Revolution has gotten pretty solid reviews for the depth of sampling and the atep sequencer looks good. I don't really use drum machine samples without layering something else on top of then though. I imagine it will spund perfectly fine, though using Battery which is my usual go to, or Stacker is probably easier/more direct for layering purposes.

Straight2Vinyl wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:56 pm I'm considering picking this up while it's still 70% off. Not sure i need it but its a darn good deal. Anyone layer other samples over these round robin patches? How do they turn out?
I know the sound of Revolution has gotten pretty solid reviews for the depth of sampling and the atep sequencer looks good. I don't really use drum machine samples without layering something else on top of then though. I imagine it will spund perfectly fine, though using Battery which is my usual go to, or Stacker is probably easier/more direct for layering purposes.

Im pretty sure it would sound great to be honest, they are just really well done samples.
I use maschine/bitwig and stacker (along with kick synths - punch box/kick2/big kick

To add to that i also have the roland 909 plugin which i really love. Whenever i make kicks i stack some click/space samples on top, usually works great.

I think the main question with this is - is it worth it given the CPU hit? It seems from what people are saying, that the cpu and ram load is huge. Which is a shame, because i was looking for an alternative to the roland that uses less resources.

Its a tricky decision, because there was talk of them doing more strippped down, individual drum modules, but nothing has been announced.

I would be interested to know if you get it, and how it works out for you.

DavidCarlyon wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:50 pm
Straight2Vinyl wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:56 pm I'm considering picking this up while it's still 70% off. Not sure i need it but its a darn good deal. Anyone layer other samples over these round robin patches? How do they turn out?

Im pretty sure it would sound great to be honest, they are just really well done samples.
I use maschine/bitwig and stacker (along with kick synths - punch box/kick2/big kick

To add to that i also have the roland 909 plugin which i really love. Whenever i make kicks i stack some click/space samples on top, usually works great.

I think the main question with this is - is it worth it given the CPU hit? It seems from what people are saying, that the cpu and ram load is huge. Which is a shame, because i was looking for an alternative to the roland that uses less resources.

Its a tricky decision, because there was talk of them doing more strippped down, individual drum modules, but nothing has been announced.

I'm leaning toward picking it up, though I really shouldn't. lol. I just built a new PC with an Intel 8700k and 16gb DDR4, so the cpu and ram hit shouldn't really be noticeable.

I got it!

And it's not that much more power hungry or over-bearing than anything else I have in my tool box. This is kind of a one off for me. 64bit winX wise, I mean.

I like Synth1, SQ8L, Linplug Alpha, that kind of thing.

I don't need much to make music. I held out against anything NI for a long time.

I still haven't installed my full version of Kontakt after some years. And I bought an upgrade to that as well. And I plan on buying another upgrade to it in a few months time. I might not even install that as well.

I've been testing a new machine - a winX box - multicore i5 - nothing fancy. Was wanting to get a benchmark ball figure sort of thing. It's a very low end i5.

So I got Wave Alchemy Revolution. Loved the interface. I've got every other drum soft that any sane man would want: BFD, Tremor, Geist2, etc. etc.

It takes a while for Revolution to load, or rather for Kontakt to load. But then it does and it's time to play.

It takes a while to figure out how to use it, but then you do, and then it's really time to play.

It does take a while to load, it does eat in to your RAM, it is a bit sluggish compared to say, ooh, just about any other drum software you have. But it's not that bad. It's more than doable.

And if you can live with that, then it's game on. A whole new world of every drum machine you ever loved but never had, is at your fingertips.

I really took a flyer on this one. I was expecting to be disappointed. And true, it is a bit of a resource hog. But I was pleasantly surprised.

I used Ableton 9 to load it all up. I didn't even have my full version of Kontakt - it works fine from player. The library was found and worked without any hiccups.

I didn't resort to the manual. I did get lost quite a few times. But when I got in to it and was more worried about finishing my 'tune' it all kind of made sense. I got the job done.

I didn't pay that much for this - what 50 quid or so on sale. That's a good price. I wouldn't have wanted to pay more. Make sure you get this on sale.

I didn't mess about with patterns or go deep with trying out loads of sounds. But what I did do was try to really shape the sounds I had via their 'shaper' control. Shitty buttons. Ok. Not the best buttons in the world. But get over that. Really immediate effects. You might not like them. They may be too brutal, but they do work. Subtle they are not. But I like that. They do work.

This is a piece of software that only those with high end systems can appreciate. And then it will still take time to get the best out of it. It will help if you have some experience with fussing with drum shit to start with. You know, 808, 909, 606...

It's all there, in great detail. It does need coaxing out though. You have to work for it. I have no doubt that someone with a high-end system and that is well-versed in this kind of stuff will find great riches here. For not much cash...

So what if I need to run this software with Synth1 and SQ8L and Linplug Alpha?

My main rig is winXP32. And it will stay that way. My forays in to 64bit winX are just for shits and giggles. But sometimes it's fun to take a walk on the wild side.

Wave Alchemy Revolution is about as wild as I like to get. But when I want to 'walk that way', it works for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B_UYYPb-Gk

(and yeah, I paid for my copy)

--------------------

Ok, I'll stop taking the piss now.

This is great drum software.

If it's not on sale, just hit the boys up and ask nicely if they'll help a brother out.

You might be surprised what else they throw in to the deal. I was, anyway. YMMV.

They take care of their customers...

DavidCarlyon wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:50 pm

The Roland 909 plug-in uses way more cpu on my system than Revolution. (Cubase 10, Win7/64)

But the main reason for having Revolution is that you can edit all sounds way further than the standard 909 clones can do. Not only the functions that are in the Revolution interface, but also all stuff you can do with Kontakt itself. Pitching, other envelopes, other filters etc.

Plus : you have all the other drum machines too. And soundwise it's great, my hardware 909 doesn't get used a lot anymore :)

If you're looking for even less cpu and memory-hungry : i can highly recommend using Goldbaby's samples in Battery. (Superanalog 909 for example). Not a slick interface as with Revolution, but soundwise it's there and probably a cheaper solution if you only want to use a certain drum machine.
More BPM please

Is it possible to automate parameters of the drum modules? The automatable parameters seem to change depending on what's selected, which prevents automation of the parameters of individual drums.

Mine's for sale anyways, but I'm still on the fence about selling it.

Can it be simply sold? Isn‘t it bound to ones NI account?

martinjuenke wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:07 pm Can it be simply sold? Isn‘t it bound to ones NI account?
Yes it can be transferred. Whether or not a third party kontakt library can be transferred depends on the developer of the product. In this case it is allowed.

Is it possible to apply step based modulation on individual drum sounds?

For instance, I want to be able to use different pitch and cut-off settings on certain hi-hat notes and control that modulation amount inside Ableton or via Push 2. Not via velocity, but with the parameters available on Revolution. For instance, on Push 2, I want to be able to tweak the cutoff frequency knob of a hi-hat and automate that for each step.

Ohlson_M wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:05 am Is it possible to apply step based modulation on individual drum sounds?
not within the 'Revolution' sequencer/interface, but you can automate the controls in Ableton.

Return to “Instruments”