Which DAWs have named piano roll notes?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am interested which DAWs have feature to put names on piano roll keys, as in attached image.
Very useful for marking VSTi keyswitches, instrument ranges etc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Reaper allows for that but it is very clunky

Yes, the screenshot is from Reaper. I find it quite easy if just mark few keys, but I wandering if other can do that. Tried Studio One demo, but it seems names are possible only in drum editor, but not in general midi pianoroll.

ruslan.st wrote:Yes, the screenshot is from Reaper. I find it quite easy if just mark few keys, but I wandering if other can do that. Tried Studio One demo, but it seems names are possible only in drum editor, but not in general midi pianoroll.
I have trouble making the key naming persistent across different mid editor windows. Do you know a way to set a default?

I think Cakewalk lets you do this - they have a bunch of presets like General Midi as well

woggle wrote: I have trouble making the key naming persistent across different mid editor windows. Do you know a way to set a default?
I have set One Midi editor per track option in preferences and it remembers key names across different items on track. At least it shows them when expected :)
But still not sure is it really due to that option or because note names are tracked in other ways internally.

ruslan.st wrote:
woggle wrote: I have trouble making the key naming persistent across different mid editor windows. Do you know a way to set a default?
I have set One Midi editor per track option in preferences and it remembers key names across different items on track. At least it shows them when expected :)
But still not sure is it really due to that option or because note names are tracked in other ways internally.
thanks - I have been using one editor per project so I will try your method

ruslan.st wrote:Tried Studio One demo, but it seems names are possible only in drum editor, but not in general midi pianoroll.
What does that matter?

Same midi data is sent in both views and you can switch between both freely.
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote:
ruslan.st wrote:Tried Studio One demo, but it seems names are possible only in drum editor, but not in general midi pianoroll.
What does that matter?

It could be useful for example if you have a guitar VST and some keys are used for different strumming patterns/voicings, palm mute etc.

AdvancedFollower wrote: It could be useful for example if you have a guitar VST and some keys are used for different strumming patterns/voicings, palm mute etc.
Yes, switch keys for articulations in any library would be convenient to just have it named right there - a right click menu and a description to enter.
So choosing per clip/track in project as saved.

So many things that can be done for midi - I have yet to see a daw that list all midi clips beside audio clips in project pool, like in Cubase that just do audio stuff.

Midi is probably major part of many projects today - and so much more to do. No exchange formats between daws that include midi etc.

AdvancedFollower wrote:
VariKusBrainZ wrote:
What does that matter?

It could be useful for example if you have a guitar VST and some keys are used for different strumming patterns/voicings, palm mute etc.
I understand the use, I dont understand your issue with Studio One.
It does what you require.
You can name midi notes.

VariKusBrainZ wrote: I understand the use, I dont understand your issue with Studio One.
You can name midi notes.
It is only in drum editor. Still some inconvenience. It could be ok if it would be possible to see and edit note lengths in drum editor.

ruslan.st wrote:
VariKusBrainZ wrote: I understand the use, I dont understand your issue with Studio One.
You can name midi notes.
It is only in drum editor. Still some inconvenience. It could be ok if it would be possible to see and edit note lengths in drum editor.
Im on v3 and it works as you describe, you can see and edit note lengths.
Notes look the same in both piano roll and drum editors.

Ok, will check it again, maybe missed something when demoing.

ruslan.st wrote:Ok, will check it again, maybe missed something when demoing.
Don't bother, in Studio One 4 they removed that possibility.

In Cubase you can also name notes. But for keyswitches Expression maps are better.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”