Most undiscussed vst synths

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Your mom is so dated, she doesn't need filters anymore, because her hearing is long gone anyway! *badumtss*

dellboy wrote:
chk071 wrote: Not my criterion no.1, TBH. Sound wise, it's OK, nothing more, nothing less. Quite thin, and quite dated filters, when you compare them to what's possible on nowadays payware soft synths.
I am well past my sell by date, so maybe thats why I like "dated filters" :hihi:
:D

Nothing wrong with "dated filters" per se... e.g. the older Waldorf synths also have great filters, even when they can't compete in the resonance department with nowadays analog modelled filters. All in all, i'd say almost everything in Synth1 is "OK", at least for me. Definitely one of the better soft synths i tried, i just don't think it can compare with good payware.

chk071 wrote:
Nothing wrong with "dated filters" per se... e.g. the older Waldorf synths also have great filters, even when they can't compete in the resonance department with nowadays analog modelled filters. All in all, i'd say almost everything in Synth1 is "OK", at least for me. Definitely one of the better soft synths i tried, i just don't think it can compare with good payware.
I love the filters on Synth1. I would describe them as "musical". I have no idea whether that is what the EDM crowd look for in filters - my guess would be not. As I have zero interest in EDM it would be educating to know why you think the filters are "thin", or what that even means. This assumes that you make EDM,which of course you may not.

I am not knew to synths,my first was a Juno 106 back in the 1980s,so I know a bit about filters. As far as Synth1 filters go,they compliment the synths overall character which is very musical. I have to admit to being bewildered by all the posts on this forum that go on and on about different synths. I once spent a day downloading every known payware synth that had a demo,and they all,without exception bored me withing ten minutes. I can only assume from this that they appeal to the dance music crowd who are looking for a certain something that only they know what it is.

In my 30 odd years of messing with synths,the only filters that have ever stood out to my ears as being exceptional were EMU Z-Plane filters. And thanks to the Creative sound-card take over of EMU and its subsequent very sad demise, we will never hear those wonderful filters on modern synths.

martinjuenke wrote:https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthesizer
Nobody here is aware of this breathtaking article...
That‘s a pity!
Thanks for the German wiki link! Compare this to Dutch wiki:

https://nl.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthesizer

dellboy wrote:In my 30 odd years of messing with synths,the only filters that have ever stood out to my ears as being exceptional were EMU Z-Plane filters. And thanks to the Creative sound-card take over of EMU and its subsequent very sad demise, we will never hear those wonderful filters on modern synths.
Good news! Dave Rossum himself (The guy behind the original EMU Z-Plane filters) is back and released a vastly improved version for eurorack: http://www.rossum-electro.com/products/morpheus/

His other modules are also very interesting :)

dellboy wrote:it would be educating to know why you think the filters are "thin", or what that even means.
I am also puzzled by how filters alone could even be responsible for that quality. I would challenge anybody to show me a specific case where running a single oscillator through a single filter, with nothing else attached, can create "thin" vs. "thick" sounds. I mean with no additional layering, no unison, and no FX.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

dellboy wrote: In my 30 odd years of messing with synths,the only filters that have ever stood out to my ears as being exceptional were EMU Z-Plane filters. And thanks to the Creative sound-card take over of EMU and its subsequent very sad demise, we will never hear those wonderful filters on modern synths.
Interesting... in my 30 years of messing with synth filters, the most unimpressive ones for me were the EMU Z-Plane filters...
I never understood the hype around them even at this time and certainly not these days...

So different taste can be... 8)

Trancit wrote: Interesting... in my 30 years of messing with synth filters, the most unimpressive ones for me were the EMU Z-Plane filters...
I never understood the hype around them even at this time and certainly not these days...

So different taste can be... 8)
Its been a long while since I messed with an EMU hardware synth,but I remember the sound that the EMU filters gave to the sound - sort of thickened it. American synths seem to have an American sound. Ensoniq also had its own unique American sound. Or maybe time is playing tricks with my memory. :)

What about Dexed? That seems like it isn’t as discussed. I feel like it’s just as good as an actual DX7. I like Synth1 and use it in tons of tracks.

Other ones include
Elektrostudio, GTG, and Full Bucket Music and Brzoza and Swierk.
Many paid and free VSTs as well as Kontakt libraries. As well as HW synths/drum machine and acoustic instruments.

dellboy wrote: ...Or maybe time is playing tricks with my memory. :)
No, I don´t think so...

They were highly praised all over the places... but for me they always sounded very resonating and twittering ... the same problem I got with the filters of Omnisphere... they are highly praised too...

For me, one of the biggest "quality" feature of a well done filter (beside the general sound) is being able to turn resonance "off"... I hate filters having that resonance smack with short decays even if the resonance is turned all the way down... and all the Z-Plane filters and the ones I remember in Omnisphere too having this behaviour ...

But again, at the very end is all about personal taste...

Alright, so the super cool, super hyped Z-Plane filters do not make the high school prom. Well, they don't "compute" in these modern ages. Sure, I guess I can dig that.

But I want the dopest soundz!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I haven't tried this yet, but ... :wink:

Creating A Z-Plane Filter In Ableton Live Tutorial
https://bassgorilla.com/creating-z-plan ... -tutorial/
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Grizzellda wrote:Alright, so the super cool, super hyped Z-Plane filters do not make the high school prom. Well, they don't "compute" in these modern ages. Sure, I guess I can dig that.

But I want the dopest soundz!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Could you translate this to "normal" english please... I do not understand a single word.... :(

zzz00m wrote:I haven't tried this yet, but ... :wink:

Creating A Z-Plane Filter In Ableton Live Tutorial
https://bassgorilla.com/creating-z-plan ... -tutorial/
Isn't this simply using a biquad in various settings and then interpolate the parameters?
That could easily be achieved with a biquad or cascade and filtergraph in M4L...
Its not a zero delay filter anyway... Statically it will sound outdated, but the transition could be rewarding and even fresh... (never used one, just out of the description I would experiment along these lines...)

KarmaFX really rarely mentioned and quite powerful.
I own it and.... didn't use it yet! :shrug:
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”