Which DAWs have named piano roll notes?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

daw.one wrote: Don't bother, in Studio One 4 they removed that possibility.
Well thats a load of poo
Amazon: why not use an alternative

woggle wrote:Reaper allows for that but it is very clunky
It may be easier and faster to edit the text file directly (compared to navigating to "Rename note" each time).

yellowmix wrote:
It may be easier and faster to edit the text file directly (compared to navigating to "Rename note" each time).
You can also double right click on the Piano keys to rename.

there is a way to label the piano roll in FLS , using a text file ...

i made one years ago , but it's been awhile and several versions
since i did that ...
i could probably reinvent that wheel ...

No_Use wrote:
yellowmix wrote:
You can also double right click on the Piano keys to rename.
Was more about the renaming not being persistent when I change items using the One Midi Editor per project setting. Each time I change items I have to reload the note map

In Ableton Live, the MIDI Effect Rack and the Instrument Rack have a "Show Names in MIDI Editor" option that can be used to name key ranges or single keys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFhnJ9YU1a8

Since you can save presets for any type of Rack, you can create (perhaps even empty) Racks with the naming schemes you want (plus the related plugin, if any), save them and re-use later any time you want, just by dropping into a Track.

You can put more than one MIDI Rack in a MIDI Track, so you can even have overlapping naming schemes (the names show in order in the keys).

Drum Racks show the name of the "pads" in the MIDI Editor by default too, they have the extra effect of hiding the keys that are not used by a pad sound.

[EDIT:]
https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... ote-Editor

A user (covops/hoffman2k) already created a MIDI Rack preset with pre-created Chains for each key:

https://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=115998

Another user-created preset for customizing the piano roll (for microtonal scales), but with Drum Racks:

http://sevish.com/2016/free-ableton-dru ... iano-roll/

In case it is not clear: the above can be used to create naming schemes per instrument (or even FX), each instrument can be saved in a preset with its own naming scheme for the piano roll.
Last edited by pottering on Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:44 am, edited 4 times in total.

experimental.crow wrote:there is a way to label the piano roll in FLS , using a text file ...

since i did that ...
It would be interesting to know how to do that. I am demoing FL Studio too and saw that Slicex can show names on keyboard, but don't know how to achieve that with other plugins.

ruslan.st wrote:
experimental.crow wrote:there is a way to label the piano roll in FLS , using a text file ...

since i did that ...
It would be interesting to know how to do that. I am demoing FL Studio too and saw that Slicex can show names on keyboard, but don't know how to achieve that with other plugins.
In FL Studio, as far as the developers told me, it´s up to the plugin to deliver/send the note names to the piano roll...
If a plugin got this feature, the names will show up like they do with i.e. Slicex or FPC

i found my old work-around ... it was a request in the imageline forum ,
for a custom drum map ...

you can customize this concept further , for different requirements ,
and MIDI channels ... experiment away , but remember to back up ...

allow me to summarize : ...

here is the workaround i developed ...

i originally attempted this to supply custom patch names ,
to replace the GM midi patch names that are standard w/ this generator ...
it occured to me that the same process could solve the custom drum map request ...

i can't see where this can do any harm , but exercise caution ,
and back up everything , just in case ...

first off , you will be using a modified MIDI Out channel generator ,
to drive your drum module : battery , kontakt , what have you ...
if this does not appeal to you , then go no further ...

01.] copy the MIDI Out channel generator folder to the desktop ...
( C:\Program Files (x86)\Image-Line\FL Studio 10\Plugins\Fruity\Generators\... )

02.] re-name the folder ...

03.] open the renamed folder , and re-name the MIDI Out.dll , to match ...

04.] open the Data folder ...

05.] open the text file ' GM Drums ' ...
the text contained herein is portrayed in the piano roll , when the MIDI Out
generator is set to channel 10 ...
the text is listed in inverse order , and runs from D#2 to D#7 ...

06.] edit this text , to suit your needs , and save ...

07.] move the modified folder back into the ' generators ' folder ...

once you open FLS , you will need to re-scan your plugins ,
to see the modified generator ...

insert the modified generator , and set it to channel 10 ...
the piano roll will show the custom map ...
port the generator to drive your drum module ...

wow :) That's tricky workaround. So developers didn't listen to such quite useful feature request? Especially when they already have implemented it partially. And they still call their piano roll editor the best on the market? :hihi:

ruslan.st wrote:wow :) That's tricky workaround. So developers didn't listen to such quite useful feature request? Especially when they already have implemented it partially. And they still call their piano roll editor the best on the market? :hihi:
Actually they listen a lot ... but you know, there are about 15 million other quite useful features one can implement and a lot of people would call this and that essential and useful...
Sadly every day got only 24h and now they have to restrict the wishlist somehow... but I am quite sure your feature wish is under the first 150 000... 8)
You can blame the plugin developer too... if he/she would have made the plugins properly, that they distribute things like keyswitches to the host, FL Studio would show them automatically

And yes, they can say even without this very useful feature it is second to none...
If you know it (I mean really know it) and if you are familar with it you can at least work double as fast and comfortable than with any other PR editor out there that you know equally well

Trancit wrote: You can blame the plugin developer too... if he/she would have made the plugins properly, that they distribute things like keyswitches to the host, FL Studio would show them automatically
Even if other developers could do that, that would not be proper solution, because user may want to mark some region just depending on situation, e.g. the best sounding instrument register, or just notes he/she likes the most :wink: . But I am afraid if they already did something in that direction, but abandoned it, this feature is below 150,000 top requests now :( , thus falls out of this century timeline.

VariKusBrainZ wrote:
daw.one wrote: Don't bother, in Studio One 4 they removed that possibility.
Well thats a load of poo
Agree, incomprehensible they removed a perfectly fine feature.

v3 pitchlist

ruslan.st wrote:wow :) That's tricky workaround. So developers didn't listen to such quite useful feature request? Especially when they already have implemented it partially. And they still call their piano roll editor the best on the market? :hihi:
i figured that out to address a specific question , raised by a user , in the IL forum ...
i can't say if this has been a popular feature request , or not ...

experimental.crow wrote: i figured that out to address a specific question , raised by a user , in the IL forum ...
i can't say if this has been a popular feature request , or not ...
I see. Just got slightly disappointed, that feature is "almost implemented", but user has no simple way to achieve the result.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”