Fathom Synth Development Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

V0RT3X wrote:Honestly if it was up to me, I'd not focus on 32-bit production.

Accept the fact It's 2018.

64-bit is what everyone is using, and if you're not then please UPGRADE. You'll be doing us all a favour.

The only thing 32-bit development does, is take away precious development time for future product development, because only a handful of people are using 32-bit systems these days.

Let 32-bit finally die..

What has it got to do with 2018?

You saying that like upgrading is an easy task. Well it isn't. Not for me. I have a grave illness which leaves me little or no energy. And re-installing Windows nowadays is a Gargantuan task! which I'm not up for!

Sure, the initial installation is swift and easy enough, but then comes the aftermath:

- one has to download like a million updates AND must be careful about it to dodge M$'s snooping 'telemetry' and 'preparational' updates!

(M$ is dying to take away our 'computer autonomy'. That's why I also avoid W10 like the Plague! :evil:)

So, no, I'm not up to it, and I'm all alone, so have no-one to do it for me, and also no funds to pay fees to hire someone to do it for me. :(

So I'll keep using W7-32 until my computer (or I ;)) gives up the ghost.

And later on, when M$ abandones W7 I'll probably switch to Linux because at its current course Window$ is a dead end to me. :( Will see when the time comes. (At least Linux doesn't require a million updates!)

ZeePok wrote:

64-bit is what everyone is using, and if you're not then please UPGRADE. You'll be doing us all a favour.

The only thing 32-bit development does, is take away precious development time for future product development, because only a handful of people are using 32-bit systems these days.

Let 32-bit finally die..

You saying that like upgrading is an easy task. Well it isn't. Not for me. I have a grave illness which leaves me little or no energy. And re-installing Windows nowadays is a Gargantuan task! which I'm not up for!

Sure, the initial installation is swift and easy enough, but then comes the aftermath:

- one has to download like a million updates AND must be careful about it to dodge M$'s snooping 'telemetry' and 'preparational' updates!

(M$ is dying to take away our 'computer autonomy'. That's why I also avoid W10 like the Plague! :evil:)

So, no, I'm not up to it, and I'm all alone, so have no-one to do it for me, and also no funds to pay fees to hire someone to do it for me. :(

And later on, when M$ abandones W7 I'll probably switch to Linux because at its current course Window$ is a dead end to me. :( Will see when the time comes. (At least Linux doesn't require a million updates!)
The Fathom dev, Everett, has affirmed his commitment to 32-bit support for this plugin, so no worries here! :)
Windows 10 and too many plugins

zzz00m wrote:
ZeePok wrote:

Let 32-bit finally die..

The Fathom dev, Everett, has affirmed his commitment to 32-bit support for this plugin, so no worries here! :)

I know that and I am very thankful about that! :tu: :hug:

It's a great synth, with even greater things in promise! :love: :cool:

Thanks!

:phones: 2.20 is Released
https://www.fathomsynth.com/updates

:love: Also, Brand New Sound Bank by Solidtrax in the Netherlands, 32 All Bass Presets:
https://www.fathomsynth.com/banks

:borg: Development Update:

2.20 was a bug fix release. Next release 2.21 will be a quick one in a couple days with Micro-Tuning. :party:
Tomorrow I will update the user guide with a description of all the Filters.
The rest of 2018 will be CPU efficiency with Vector SIMD and the new Analog Circuit Builder.
Also, I have not forgotten my promise about an advanced Sampler.

Hi, I have a few suggestions, my apologies if it has already been discussed.

1. Sample loading - the NN-XT is an open format, and most sample packs you can buy at Loopmasters etc, do have NN-XT patches in them. I do not care so much about getting the settings in there, or to be perfect matching, but just loading the samples with layers and key ranges would be a game changer.
2. Have considered allowing users to make front panels with custom skin and knobs/sliders - i.e. one could build up a setup that has a unique look and all modulations pre-routed and so on. I guess NI REaktor and Diva does that to some extent, though I'm thinking more like one fixed panel, like a Serum/Sylenth, but designing the panel you can put in wavetable, analog osc, FM osc, and create a setup around that. If a few of those are made up, I'm sure it will be much more appealing to do sound design around those concepts.

RikkShow wrote:Hi, I have a few suggestions, my apologies if it has already been discussed.

1. Sample loading - the NN-XT is an open format, and most sample packs you can buy at Loopmasters etc, do have NN-XT patches in them. I do not care so much about getting the settings in there, or to be perfect matching, but just loading the samples with layers and key ranges would be a game changer.
That's an interesting idea, but I am curious why you would want to load multi-samples into a synthesizer oscillator? Are you suggesting the addition of a full blown multi-sampler within the signal flow of Fathom?
2. Have considered allowing users to make front panels with custom skin and knobs/sliders - i.e. one could build up a setup that has a unique look and all modulations pre-routed and so on. I guess NI REaktor and Diva does that to some extent, though I'm thinking more like one fixed panel, like a Serum/Sylenth, but designing the panel you can put in wavetable, analog osc, FM osc, and create a setup around that. If a few of those are made up, I'm sure it will be much more appealing to do sound design around those concepts.
Having custom panels and skins like that could be very interesting! Fathom would become more of a back-end synth engine framework, and the customizations could be like creating your own synth front-end GUI and workflows.

I'm not planning on adding any capabilities to load samples until I implement the full featured sampler.

Otherwise it would be of little use. The Wave Table oscillator allows importing of single cycle WAV files which is standard and gets the job done.

However, I am careful to record all feature requests and I will keep yours at the top of the list for when I do the sampler.

CUSTOM GUI CONTROLS

Fathom already has the ability to import any image for any part of the GUI without recompiling the plugin, meaning that someone could (theoretically) completely re-skin the entire plugin as it currently exists, and this includes not only all the panels but all the dials and buttons. At some point I will turn this on in the release version.

Also, when I do enable this, it is not going to be cheap, somewhere in the $500.00 range to purchase a Fathom' GUI developer's license. The reason for this is that the license will include legal permission to develop your own Fathom skins and sell them yourself.

I'm probably going to kick this off sometime in 2019 with a international GUI skinning contest, and first prize is going to be something significant like a brand new Moog Voyager. It will basically be the mother of all skinning contests.

FILTER USER'S GUIDE

I just finished the new User's Guide with the complete Filter section. It contains a detailed explanation of every Filter in Fathom, and most include details on the Algorithm and the relative strengths of each filter.

Download here:
https://www.fathomsynth.com/support

Because Fathom has 14 different Low Pass Resonant Filter algorithms, I also added a table which shows the relative advantages of each algorithm.
filtertable.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by FathomSynth on Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FathomSynth wrote:I'm not planning on adding any capabilities to load samples until I implement the full featured sampler.
Nice! Sounds like we will eventually have a monster hybrid synthesizer!!! :tu:

And thanks for the filter guide! :)

FathomSynth wrote:
FILTER USER'S GUIDE

I just finished the new User's Guide with the complete Filter section. It contains a detailed explanation of every Filter in Fathom, and most include details on the Algorithm and the relative strengths of each filter.

Download here:
https://www.fathomsynth.com/support

Because Fathom has 14 different Low Pass Resonant Filter algorithms, I also added a table which shows the relative advantages of each algorithm.
filtertable.jpg
Ohhhh yesssss!!!! Thank you so much!!!! Study Time!!

Microtuning Update:

I just finished implementing the reading of Scala.scl file format.
I will also be doing the AnaMark.tun format.

All note frequencies, glide, pitch modulation and detune will work exactly as before, it just uses the new note frequencies instead of the equal temperament whole steps and half steps, as you would expect.

Also, microtuning will be per preset not global. I'm doing this so you can create a micro-tuned preset and if you send the preset to someone else then the preset will carry its own tuning with it and play correctly on another system or host. And also, so you can have different micro-tunings within one project without having them step on each other.

This will go into the next release 2.21.

:clap: +1

FathomSynth wrote:Also, microtuning will be per preset not global. I'm doing this so you can create a micro-tuned preset and if you send the preset to someone else then the preset will carry its own tuning with it and play correctly on another system or host. And also, so you can have different micro-tunings within one project without having them step on each other.
Perfect! :clap:
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

hello,
i tried the fathom mono and it sounds great but i don't know why there is a MT version of the plugin.
i can't find an explanation in the web.

maybe someone here know what it is for?

MT is the Visual Studio 2017 Statically Linked build.

You only need it if the normal build does not scan by your host, otherwise no difference in performance.

Microtune Update, AnaMark.tun format parser is complete.

Fathom can now read both Scala.scl and AnaMark.tun format, Micro-tuning can be enabled or disabled in the settings page, as well as saved uniquely in each preset. Tuning can be specified in cents or ratios. In addition Fathom will auto complete all 127 MIDI note frequencies based on a single specified octave.

Return to “Instruments”