Interested in buying a FM synth

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BertKoor wrote:The hardware synths in this category are under the hood all software.
Did you mean "digital" maybe? That's quite not the same.

But yes, all proper FM is made digitally.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote:
BertKoor wrote:The hardware synths in this category are under the hood all software.

Not sure what you mean by “proper” FM. Analog modular synths are certainly capable of real FM.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote:
DJ Warmonger wrote:

Not sure what you mean by “proper” FM. Analog modular synths are certainly capable of real FM.
Which ones, and at what cost?

FM requires very precise frequency control, which can't be achieved by a bunch of unstable modules patched together. Also, switching between algorithms is not easy either in analog domain.
FYI, precise frequency control, especially division and multiplication, in hardware is often achieved with digital PLL device.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote:
deastman wrote:
DJ Warmonger wrote:

Which ones, and at what cost?

FM requires very precise frequency control, which can't be achieved by a bunch of unstable modules patched together. Also, switching between algorithms is not easy either in analog domain.
FYI, precise frequency control, especially division and multiplication, in hardware is often achieved with digital PLL device.
http://busycircuits.com/alm011/

About 500 pounds.

You would have to be seriously in to your Eurorack and quite brave to consider this (a s I speak as someone with 200hp of Euro!)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live+PUSH 3 Standalone, Reason, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

The sound source in that is digital Yamaha chips.

(On the subject of Eurorack FM, my (digital) Plaits oscillator is spending a lot of time in FM mode. It's great putting this pristine phase modulation sound under modulation that never would have existed in classic keyboards.)

For starters, a handful of cheap self-oscillating filter modules and some buffered mults and mixers will let you do FM in the analog domain. A search for thru-zero FM oscillators will yield plenty of results. And there are plenty of digital FM modules available too.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

+1 Sound Guru’s Tangle. Dormant in updates - so check the demo. Not only is it inexpensive (it might technically still be in beta), but the resizable UI is simple, modern, and really fun to play with. One of three synths in constant rotation for me. I’m neither an expert nor beginner, but I think it’s rather genius.

deastman wrote:For starters, a handful of cheap self-oscillating filter modules and some buffered mults and mixers will let you do FM in the analog domain. A search for thru-zero FM oscillators will yield plenty of results. And there are plenty of digital FM modules available too.
Though to yield the DX-7 type of FM, you won‘t get it by modulating directly an osc who adjusts its freq by V/Octave... It could work on these old Korgs though...
Nonetheless you will get interesting results anyway...

I'm impressed with the Rhino software synthesizer from BigTick. It has ample opportunities for synthesis.
:phones:

FS1R has always served me well but you do need the editor. FM8 is also damn good. Just be wary about the programming aspect of FM. It does have a steep learning curve.

I think an ideal solution to your request is the BAZILLE synth from U-He.

It does FM (though they call it Phase Modulation, which supposedly is technically more accurate as a name for what we normally call FM) but also does Phase Distortion and Fractal Resonance.

And while the core synthesis is FM / digital, the structure is more modular subtractive, with two filters, standard envelopes, lots of fun modulators, etc.

It has a *freaking gorgeous* UI, and a modular approach using virtual cables.

It absolutely has a learning curve to it, but it sounds like you're ready for that, and honestly once you get the basics down, it's just plain FUN to program it, it doesn't even feel challenging per-se, it feels like very deep and rewarding exploring / experimenting. All the cables send audio rate signals, it has excellent quality on-board effects.... yeah.

Bazille.

that's my answer.

Ah yes U-He. That company simply cannot create a poor product. Top quality.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”