Lets see some studio pics

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
BONES
GRRRRRRR!
7073 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:23 pm

donkey tugger wrote:Never mind all that sinthesiser shite, you've got one of those bladeless fans, which always impress me.
I hate that bloody fan. It cost a fortune and is not only a PITA to clean and keep working but the on/off button has been flaky for a few years now and requires a lot of effort to operate. But I'm determined to get at least 10 years out of it, after all the money I paid (7 years ago).
NOVAkILL 3.0 : Acer Switch5 (Core i5, Win10), Zoom U24, Orion 64 bit, Maschine Mikro, Elektron Analog Keys, Ultranova, Rocket, MicroMonsta, Uno

foosnark
KVRAF
4385 posts since 9 Jan, 2003 from Saint Louis MO

Re: Lets see some studio pics

Post Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:33 am

Left:

Right:

In the middle I've got my QWERTY keyboard, Maschine MK2, 21:9 LCD, and a Nixie tube clock. Edirol MA-10A monitors, but mostly for gaming since I prefer headphones for music.

I've got my setup pretty close to where I want it. Everything in arm's reach, aside from strings and drums which mostly live in another room -- this room doesn't have a lot of space and isn't very quiet.
Maybe I'll get a photo of the other stuff once we have things rearranged.

I'm really happy with that Focusrite, though getting Firewire to work was a fight. The form factor is great though, and I like being able to plug in a contact mic, guitar, or modular to it and it just handles whatever. I'm using all 8 analog inputs and occasionally wish I had more, but I consider it a positive limiting factor keeping me from overdoing things.

The modular isn't likely to grow any bigger, at least not in the forseeable future. A few modules are a bit situational and could be replaced, but I don't have that hunger right now. We'll see what the charity auction brings though :hihi:

I'm still happy with the Microbrute. It makes it into 1/4 to 1/3 of my recordings and I use it pretty frequently as a basic MIDI controller.

As for pedals, I'm likely to dump that Rat clone for a TC Mojomojo. Waiting to see how Cimmerian Caves V2 treats me before I make any other decisions -- it should be shipping any day now. I've just got a couple of spring tanks above those pedals for now, so there's room for a little more. I'm still thinking about an AC Noises AMA or Industrialectric RM-1N.

vurt
addled muppet weed
37262 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:29 am

my mouth is watering a little now...

pljones
KVRAF
6281 posts since 8 Feb, 2003 from London, UK

Post Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:26 am

Spot the difference...

Image vs Image

My drumming and production work are now officially separated - my TrapKAT has it's own dedicated boxes.

BONES
GRRRRRRR!

Post Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:38 pm

foosnark wrote:... I consider it a positive limiting factor keeping me from overdoing things.
I almost spat my coffee all over the keyboard when I read that. You are so far beyond "overdoing things" that you can't even see it in the rear-view mirror any more. Even before I had MIDI my set-up wasn't half as complex as yours.
NOVAkILL 3.0 : Acer Switch5 (Core i5, Win10), Zoom U24, Orion 64 bit, Maschine Mikro, Elektron Analog Keys, Ultranova, Rocket, MicroMonsta, Uno

foosnark
KVRAF

Post Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:04 pm

BONES wrote:
foosnark wrote:... I consider it a positive limiting factor keeping me from overdoing things.
I almost spat my coffee all over the keyboard when I read that. You are so far beyond "overdoing things" that you can't even see it in the rear-view mirror any more. Even before I had MIDI my set-up wasn't half as complex as yours.
It's all relative. Eurorack synths commonly come in coffee-shop hipster sizes, but also in enormous walls. Mine is relatively modest as these things go.

I was going to stick with one rack, but then I wound up beta testing for two different designers. When people give you $1800 worth of synth gear to test and keep, spending $200 on a used TipTop Mantis so you've got room for it makes a lot of sense. From there I figured I might as well slowly fill it all in.

The thing about modular is that there's an illusion of complexity to people unfamiliar with the modules, but each individual piece is simpler than many full synths (hardware or plugins). If you want complex, you patch complex. If you want simple, you patch simple.

Just now I started from 100% unpatched and turned off, started my stopwatch, started my DAW, turned the synth on and built a complete, MIDI-controlled FM bass patch to my liking in 1 minute, 14 seconds. And then I decided I wanted it saturated, so I patched it through a module to that in an additional 6 seconds.

BONES
GRRRRRRR!

Post Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:16 pm

foosnark wrote:The thing about modular is that there's an illusion of complexity to people unfamiliar with the modules, but each individual piece is simpler than many full synths (hardware or plugins).
They'd want to be, they only do one thing.
If you want complex, you patch complex. If you want simple, you patch simple.
That's the thing, though - you have to patch before you can do anything else and you can't save presets because they are dependent on how you patch the modules. Ultimately, my little UNO Synth is way more powerful because it puts 100 sounds at my fingertips for $200.
Just now I started from 100% unpatched and turned off, started my stopwatch, started my DAW, turned the synth on and built a complete, MIDI-controlled FM bass patch to my liking in 1 minute, 14 seconds. And then I decided I wanted it saturated, so I patched it through a module to that in an additional 6 seconds.
The real trick would be recording that sound today, then seeing how long it takes you to recreate it in six months time when you want to change the arrangement for the song you used it on. In my experience you can never get the really good sounds back perfectly, you always end up losing something. There were times when I was tempted to superglue all the controls on my Mono/Poly, just so I never lost a good sound. It was easy enough with simpler synths like the ARP Axxe and Korg Delta but the Mono/Poly was impossible.

foosnark
KVRAF

Post Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:02 am

BONES wrote:Ultimately, my little UNO Synth is way more powerful because it puts 100 sounds at my fingertips for $200.
Thanks for the first good laugh of the day :lol: This is like saying my Prius C is "way more powerful" than a Bugatti Veyron because it is more suitable to my needs.

BONES wrote:The real trick would be recording that sound today, then seeing how long it takes you to recreate it in six months time when you want to change the arrangement for the song you used it on.
I don't work that way, or want to. I record in a single session, starting from nothing, ending with a stereo mix (no stems), unpatch everything and I'm done. Any editing happens to a copy of that WAV file. For me, killing perfectionism was a great way to get more done, which equates to practice, which in the long term has made me happier with my results. I started doing that before I got into modular; it doesn't matter that everything was saved since I didn't go back to change anything.

If I were working in film or TV, I would probably just stick to software synths to make the endless changes easy to deal with. But music isn't "work" for me, so I don't sweat it. :)

Presets are for chumps, or for people who actually need them. That's not me. I don't miss presets at all.

A couple of years ago I did some remixes for the taiko drumming group I used to perform with. That was kind of a pain in the ass. It was before I got into modular, but I kept my Microbrute untouched for 6 weeks in case I needed to tweak the one little blip I was using for 16th note accents. In retrospect, I should have sampled it and not worried. If that specific sound needed anything more than EQ I'd have been better off remaking it from scratch.

BONES
GRRRRRRR!

Post Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:27 pm

foosnark wrote:Thanks for the first good laugh of the day :lol: This is like saying my Prius C is "way more powerful" than a Bugatti Veyron because it is more suitable to my needs.
No, it's more like comparing warp drive to a Bugatti Veyron, in that you use both to get from one place to another. We use synthesizers to make sounds and I can get from one sound to the next almost instantaneously, where you have to go through a significant, lumbering, imprecise process and hope for the best.
I don't work that way, or want to. I record in a single session, starting from nothing, ending with a stereo mix (no stems), unpatch everything and I'm done. Any editing happens to a copy of that WAV file. For me, killing perfectionism was a great way to get more done, which equates to practice, which in the long term has made me happier with my results. I started doing that before I got into modular; it doesn't matter that everything was saved since I didn't go back to change anything.
I can only imagine how appallingly bad those results are. Probably about the level my music was in 1982, before I had a sequencer - stupefyingly simple and boring as hell.
If I were working in film or TV, I would probably just stick to software synths to make the endless changes easy to deal with. But music isn't "work" for me, so I don't sweat it. :)
The alternative to "endless changes" isn't no changes at all, it's knowing when you're done and moving on to the next thing. It's a simple matter of discipline. I can't imagine how unutterably mind-numbing it would be to only be able to work on one thing at a time. In a typical evening session, I might work on four or five different songs, both for live sets and for the album we're working towards.
Presets are for chumps, or for people who actually need them.
That remark is idiotic. Presets are not just things other people make, they are the sounds you make to use in your music. If you don't think any of the sounds you make are worth saving, then I suppose patch memory won't matter to you but every now and then I make something that I really like and it's nice to be able to recall it instantly when I want to use it. Moreover, every now and then I have an idea on how to make an existing song better than it is, so being able to go back and change just one part or change the arrangement is not something I would even contemplate trying to do without.
A couple of years ago I did some remixes for the taiko drumming group I used to perform with. That was kind of a pain in the ass. It was before I got into modular, but I kept my Microbrute untouched for 6 weeks in case I needed to tweak the one little blip I was using for 16th note accents. In retrospect, I should have sampled it and not worried. If that specific sound needed anything more than EQ I'd have been better off remaking it from scratch.
A perfect example of the stupidity of the way you work. Why bother with all those analogue synths if you are happy just to sample them when it's convenient? May as well just use samples for everything.

IncarnateX
KVRAF
3198 posts since 25 Jan, 2009 from Forgotten Realms

Post Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:28 pm

foosnark wrote:Left:

Right:
Ah, so this is the reason you could not take a plain joke in the modular thread? May be labor, but labor of love, yes? :love: :hihi:

Well, I know the feeling but watch out for fanboism, it is a murderer of humor and prevents you from taking advantage of a little sound self irony now and then.

foosnark
KVRAF

Post Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:43 am

[edit: mods didn't delete my "missing" post, maybe I just flubbed and closed the tab or something... not gonna sweat it.]

Anyway:

- You don't have to like my gear, my process, or my music. I didn't ask for your approval.

- People like different things. That is OKAY.

- Deciding that you hate my music based on the assumptions you made after looking at a photo of gear says a lot more about you than me.
Last edited by foosnark on Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

IncarnateX
KVRAF
3198 posts since 25 Jan, 2009 from Forgotten Realms

Post Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:45 pm

Should a mod have removed it, why? You are not the usual insulting type afair, so it could hardly have been THAT bad? I watched the thread and noticed no answer from you, so maybe you previewed it but did not send? (I have done that dozens of times)

As far as I am concerned, I find no reason to engage in modular debates beyond jokes, so I will just pass. As far as BONES concerns, he has been on the road since dawn of homemade electro, so he probably cannot be cured for his rather pragmatic approach to music gear in general and patch memory in particular (and neither can I tbh).

Apart from that: Whatever keeps your musical juices flowing, mate. There are gear enough to fit all kind of diversity.

Sometimes it just feels so tempting to me to return to software for the convenience of it. No doubt that I would produce tracks faster. But I am in no hurry and want the whole thing to be more fun and experimentation than struggles to finalize my tunes, so hardware it is.

imrae
KVRist
407 posts since 2 Jul, 2010

Post Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:14 pm

Nice setup, Foosnark! Very tidy layout and nice balance of complex modules and utility. How are you managing power? And what's up with the cables coming out of the mult in the top left?

Delta Sign
KVRist
446 posts since 22 Jun, 2018

Post Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:09 am

Yeah, very nice setup :tu:
I see you have the new Noise Engineering seq (I can never remember the names of their modules apart from the Basimilus Iteritas Alter :hihi:), which seems to be pretty awesome from what I've seen.

Edit: Also, your system appears to be broken because I can't spot a single Maths in there :hihi:

foosnark
KVRAF

Post Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:00 am

imrae wrote:How are you managing power?
That bottom 1U in the rack is a power strip with individual switches, which is handy. The Euro stuff in the rack is powered from a Synthrotek Super Power Green with Genus Modu Low Impedance Bus Boards -- no noise or heat issues but the PSU sometimes freaks out when turned on so I can't really recommend it (even ignoring Synthrotek's 2017 social media garbage fire, which I haven't). Pedal PSU is... I don't remember what, some multi-pedal daisy chain thing from my local guitar store.
imrae wrote:And what's up with the cables coming out of the mult in the top left?
I'm using the mults (upper left and middle right) just for patch points for inputs and outputs on the back of my Saffire. Since semi-permanently routing stereo pedal outputs direct through the Doepfer Multicore to the Saffire, I don't really need them both and will shelve one of them (I prefer Stackables over mults otherwise).

Delta Sign wrote:I see you have the new Noise Engineering seq (I can never remember the names of their modules apart from the Basimilus Iteritas Alter :hihi:), which seems to be pretty awesome from what I've seen.
Mimetic Digitalis. Yeah, I like it quite a bit, it's like four Rene 1.0s stuffed into 10HP and really easy to work with even so. Save some arpeggiated chords into the thing and feed it with synced LFOs or trigger patterns -- tasty stuff. I look forward to using Tides 2018's polyrhythmic LFOs to drive it.
Delta Sign wrote:Edit: Also, your system appears to be broken because I can't spot a single Maths in there :hihi:
Heh :D If I were starting over I'd get... not a Maths but probably a DUSG or Grand Terminal since those reliably track 1V/Octave. I'm pretty happy with Mini Slew and Function though.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”