My DAW PC hates me though I shower it with nothing but love..time to switch to a Mac?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can anyone resonate with me on this? I've always had trouble with my DAW PC, since the beginning. For a while it was bearable, only an occasional crash or two. Now it is downright unworkable.

Just a plethora of issues I faced today:
1. Wake up computer from sleep - USB midi didn't work. Unplug/plug. Nope. Had to restart Cubase. Fine.
2. Hum from external input - weird, I don't have input enable on, but it was coming from an input track so i muted it. Fine.
3. Echoing from an audio track input, weird - it sounded fine just a couple days back. Where the hell is this coming from. Okay, don't use it.
4. Kontakt 5, load some sound off Kinetic (Komplete 11). Now layer another sound - MISSING SAMPLES. Had to browse and find. Fine. This is on a fresh install of komplete, but we'll let that slide for now.
5. Now layer another sound while clicking 'next' arrow to load next sound in that layer. HANNNGG. Cubase had to be force quit and re-opened.
6. Repeat step 5 for 2 more times...

Totally out of 30 minutes, I spent 5 minutes creating music and 25 minutes fighting with my PC one way or the other. If I could cry, I would. :cry:

Cubase takes literally THREE FOOKING MINUTES to come up. What does it do for 3 mins? VST Scanning. Wasn't an issue in 7.5, now an issue.

Please tell me it's not just me. :pray: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Win7 PC, running Cubase 9.5.3. Should I move to a Mac? I love Cubase, but can't stand these weird-ass random issues.

Win7 is already outdated, Win10 is much better. Update, as you're not showing your PC enough love at all.

As we say in IT, it works for me :wink:
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

I'm fine with outdated. I want a WORKING setup. That's all. Is that too much to ask in 2018?

I find the longer the PC is running before I start Cubase the quicker the VST scan becomes.
If I open and close another DAW before opening Cubase it will whip through the scan in milliseconds.
Strange but true :).
Grum.

Those are the wonders of Caching, mr Grumbleweed ;-)
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

keyman_sam wrote:1. Wake up computer from sleep
That's your problem, right there.

You can use hibernation for browsing the web or watching music, but with a software-hardware combo where real-time performance is crucial there's simply too much stuff that can go wrong. Shut it down properly.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

keyman_sam wrote:I'm fine with outdated. I want a WORKING setup. That's all. Is that too much to ask in 2018?
Your Operating System is 9 years old, from 2009, not 2018. You're trying to mix it with modern software and possibly modern hardware. Intel and AMD have stopped supporting Windows 7, many Windows 7 drivers are in maintenance mode and don't receive updates like the Win10 drivers do. VST and DAW developers are doing less testing on Win7 now. Microsoft will stop supporting Windows 7 in a little over 1 year.

So whether you switch to a Mac or continue using Windows, you need to stay up to date. If you were to switch to a Mac, you wouldn't use OSX Snow Leopard on it, would you?

DJ Warmonger wrote:Win7 is already outdated, Win10 is much better. Update, as you're not showing your PC enough love at all.

As we say in IT, it works for me :wink:

Outdated in what sense? In the sense that it's 100% reliable, updated regularly and just works every single day?

Because I guess that is outdated as most newer OS's keep updating every 94 seconds breaking half the stuff that works in the meantime. I guess if you mean that, then it's outdated.

antic604 wrote:
keyman_sam wrote:1. Wake up computer from sleep
That's your problem, right there.

You can use hibernation for browsing the web or watching music, but with a software-hardware combo where real-time performance is crucial there's simply too much stuff that can go wrong. Shut it down properly.
+1 - This - don't use sleep or hibernate features - with anything external you are dependent on.

Proper system shutdown and boot next day - that's the way to go.

Kontakt and missing samples - hardly dependent on PC/Mac.

Hum on input - look at which mains wall outlets you use for all equipment. Different wall outlets may cause ground issued being really long to fuse box and then back out to other outlet.
Last edited by lfm on Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Have you tried giving it some space?
A well-behaved signature.

update drivers etc etc - but if that doesn't work then best thing is to update the operating system. Mac's are no more reliable than PC's so you might get a great one or you might not - just as with a new PC

Mostly you don't need to fix its problems for it - just listen with agreement that's all it takes.

Your Mac wont love you either. But Apple will love your wallet, once you're on the hook.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:Your Mac wont love you either. But Apple will love your wallet, once you're on the hook.
Rape is not the same as love.

Switching to Apple will not address any of those issues. :wink:
Sleep or Hybernation on a DAW is something you want to avoid.
(Any type of power-management or performance-throttling)
Kontakt and library management is consistent whether Mac or PC.
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”