Bitwig vs Logic

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
martinjuenke
KVRAF
2558 posts since 28 Dec, 2015 from Germany

Post Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:30 am

So many guys sing the praising chorus of Bitwig. I‘m on LogicPro for years and I‘m happy with it. Just out of curiosity: what would Bitwig give me that Logic doesn‘t have?

Flowing atmospheric music
http://www.sonoryth.bandcamp.com/music

Winstontaneous
KVRian
1435 posts since 15 Feb, 2006 from Berkeley, CA

Re: Bitwig vs Logic

Post Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:39 am

martinjuenke wrote:So many guys sing the praising chorus of Bitwig. I‘m on LogicPro for years and I‘m happy with it. Just out of curiosity: what would Bitwig give me that Logic doesn‘t have?
Clip launching and VST support, among others. Try the demo and see for yourself. I bought & sold Bitwig 1.x, finding Ableton Live better meets my needs. Also I found Bitwig to be a real CPU hog on my 2012 MacBook Pro, from what I've read this issue hasn't been fully solved in 2.x.

I use Logic Pro X too and find it a PITA for what I want from a DAW, but Drummer, Alchemy, Sculpture and other native plugins are some of the best around.
OLOKUN - Survival Kit - now on iTunes, CDBaby, and Spotify

Videos: The Beat | Crossing to Safety

Zexila
KVRAF
3182 posts since 18 Mar, 2008

Post Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:54 am

Give demo a go, maybe it doesn't offer anything to you, I'm also long Logic user and for me Bitwig offered step up in terms of workflow, mind you, my personal workflow, it's not deeper by any stretch, but what it does, it does good, but you will be the judge of that.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

antic604
KVRAF
1501 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:19 pm

martinjuenke wrote:I‘m on LogicPro for years and I‘m happy with it.
So why change it?

As much as I love Bitwig, it's currenty running rather poorly on OSX (for bigger / complex projects), because of using CPU for rendering - it has very busy GUI - and Kairo libraries on OSX are terribly optimised. Bitwig's awesome for music with a lot of movement, crazy textures and sound manipulation so all types of electronic genres. Like Live it has clip launcher, very good scripts for Push 1/2 so if that's something interesting then you can try it out.
Live 10 // Bitwig 2 // Reason 10 // Studio One 4
Music: https://soundcloud.com/antic604

pdxindy
KVRAF
14273 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:37 pm

martinjuenke wrote:So many guys sing the praising chorus of Bitwig. I‘m on LogicPro for years and I‘m happy with it. Just out of curiosity: what would Bitwig give me that Logic doesn‘t have?
For me it is Bitwig AND Logic.

I like Bitwig for its modulation system. I can quickly put an LFO, Envelope, Sequencer, etc on most any parameter of any of the included synths and effects plus any plugins too. The modulation system is polyphonic for Bitwig synths and it also can do audio rate modulation. Bitwig is akin to a modular system. It is a fast and fun sandbox to explore ideas in. For me, it is what I always wished Live would be...

I also enjoy the straightforward workflow of Bitwig... and as others have mentioned, it has the Clip Launcher.

aMUSEd
KVRAF
30072 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Post Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:42 pm

pdxindy wrote:
For me it is Bitwig AND Logic.
Same here

Zexila
KVRAF
3182 posts since 18 Mar, 2008

Post Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:00 pm

For me too, my partner uses Logic so I'm tied to it anyways, but love it nonetheless.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

martinjuenke
KVRAF

Post Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:07 pm

Okay, thanks, your comments are making the picture clearer..

SLiC
KVRAF
3052 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Post Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:21 pm

Bitwig plus another DAW (for me Studioone) is a good option, Bitwig is still missing some important standard liniar DAW stuff and is still pretty new. Bitwig does however offer a ton of stuff that normal DAWs don’t offer, including all the clip launcher stuff that Live offers and a lot of stuff no one else offers. For me, the unified modulation system and CV output is worth the entry price alone (it runs my Eurorack via some analog to CV converters). I also make Bitwig a slave to my Elektron stuff as a glorified octotrack (as if it’s a bit of hardware), so it can do a lot without even being a DAW!

The rapid rate of development (big updates every 4 months or so) means it’s worth trying Bitwig again even if it didn’t work for you before...
i7 Win 10 + Surface, BWS, StudioOne 4, X32 Desk. Rubicon R8s, DM12, P8, Virus TI, Syst1m, 500hp Eurorack, Elektron A4, RYTM, OT, Heat, Digitone, MPC Live, OP-Z, Mother+DFAM, Drums, Guitars, Basses and Amps

Pictus
KVRist
132 posts since 21 Aug, 2017 from Brasil

Post Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:20 pm

Carpenter
KVRist
131 posts since 19 Jun, 2011

Post Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:53 pm

Bitwig doesn't require you to buy a VERY expensive dongle, called a Mac.

I say this as someone who uses a Mac and would never think of getting locked into the Logic paradigm.

I don't even install the AU version of any plugins I own. I want to be able to migrate all of my projects to Windows in the future. The cost of my current Macbook Pro was SO INSANE that I have buyers remorse. When it's time for this machine to be replaced, I will not be replacing it with another Mac. Apple has gone absolutely nutso with the pricing. And don't even get me started on the many gripes I have with this very expensive machine.

The last thing I would want to do is get used to and fall in love with ANY Mac only application.

martinjuenke
KVRAF

Post Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:00 am

This thread was created to learn about the differences of Bitwig and Logic. It was NOT created for Apple bashing.

I recommend to create a separate thread for such a topic if it‘s that urgent. It will surely find its fans and contributors.

I will not be among them.

Thanks.

masterhiggins
KVRAF
1888 posts since 31 Dec, 2004 from People's Republic of Minnesota

Post Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:17 am

Carpenter wrote:Bitwig doesn't require you to buy a VERY expensive dongle, called a Mac.

I say this as someone who uses a Mac and would never think of getting locked into the Logic paradigm.

I don't even install the AU version of any plugins I own. I want to be able to migrate all of my projects to Windows in the future. The cost of my current Macbook Pro was SO INSANE that I have buyers remorse. When it's time for this machine to be replaced, I will not be replacing it with another Mac. Apple has gone absolutely nutso with the pricing. And don't even get me started on the many gripes I have with this very expensive machine.

The last thing I would want to do is get used to and fall in love with ANY Mac only application.
Clearly you make bad decisions. Why would we take advice from you?

martinjuenke
KVRAF

Post Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:20 am

masterhiggins wrote:
Carpenter wrote:Bitwig doesn't require you to buy a VERY expensive dongle, called a Mac.

Clearly you make bad decisions. Why would we take advice from you?
:tu: :clap:

xbitz
KVRAF
2111 posts since 3 Oct, 2013 from Budapest

Post Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:01 am

modulation is far easier in Bitwig (can build fx chains with unique modulations in no time compared with Logic), check the following video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEioSscCr4w

and it's a video from 2015 ... Bitwig is far better now, check the request poll if you would like to see what is missing from it viewtopic.php?f=259&t=499400 velocity ramp has been added to 2.4 already)
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”