Help and advice sought for Studio One 3.5 audio crashes

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just switched studio one 3 from Mac to windows. I have a really persistent issue that I can’t find decent advice for. I have googled many variants of the words. That’s why I am posting here.

Its an intermittent fault whereby the sound just breaks down. Sometimes it jitters, sometimes it grinds to a halt.

I have looked at sample rates and bit depth and speakers / microphone settings for those and tried all sorts of combinations but no luck. I have installed ASIO4all and that didn’t help. I have updated all drivers via the dell support app and done some manually, but still no improvement.

Studio One 3 can work fine for 2 hours then BAM it happens. One thing that repairs it is to uninstall then reinstall Studio One , but within an hour or so the problem will return.
I thought it was an HDMI monitor issue and unplugged the 27” monitor but that only temporarily fixed it.

Its a new laptop and have updated all virus and malware checks and its not that.

I been using DAWs for 20 years and had a few glitches but this is something new to me. I have sent a detailed report file to Presonus support, but I thought someone here may have an angle that could point me in a useful direction.

Thanks

Is it getting enough juice? Plugged in? Not overheating.
More hardware/spec info might help.
Buffer size, maybe?
Disable Windows sounds.
Has Windows configured you sound device as part of it's resources?
Release ASIO driver in background?
What protocol does your audio interface use?
USB, Firewire, thunderbolt, onboard?
Check power saving options and disable these.
Check Studio One's logs, it might be a plugin.
On Windows, show hidden folders in control panel.
C:\Users\Username_here\AppData\Roaming\PreSonus

DPClatency.

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ar ... cy-issues/
Last edited by The Noodlist on Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:18 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

R0bins0n wrote:I just switched studio one 3 from Mac to windows. I have a really persistent issue that I can’t find decent advice for. I have googled many variants of the words. That’s why I am posting here.

Its an intermittent fault whereby the sound just breaks down. Sometimes it jitters, sometimes it grinds to a halt.

I have looked at sample rates and bit depth and speakers / microphone settings for those and tried all sorts of combinations but no luck. I have installed ASIO4all and that didn’t help. I have updated all drivers via the dell support app and done some manually, but still no improvement.

Studio One 3 can work fine for 2 hours then BAM it happens. One thing that repairs it is to uninstall then reinstall Studio One , but within an hour or so the problem will return.
I thought it was an HDMI monitor issue and unplugged the 27” monitor but that only temporarily fixed it.

Its a new laptop and have updated all virus and malware checks and its not that.

I been using DAWs for 20 years and had a few glitches but this is something new to me. I have sent a detailed report file to Presonus support, but I thought someone here may have an angle that could point me in a useful direction.

Thanks

Make sure the sound options in Windows audio settings are set to 24 Bit rather than 16 Bit, that should fix it,. You'll discover this problem when you have been watching youtube.... and using audio applications on the system and it's likely due to bit rate conflicts..similar to a slow feedback loop but with bitrates.

In Studio One, there is the 'Release Audio in the Background' check box you can find in the Options / Audio Setup / Audio Device tab. Make sure that this check box is ticked. When ticked, Studio One will lock it's audio to be heard only within the application, unchecked it allows the audio to be heard when you have clicked outside the application which might be useful should you want to use other applications that you can view whilst playing back sound from Studio One.

A useful tip should you ever find that you have over loaded your CPU is to have the checkbox ticked and clicking on the taskbar that you will typically have set to auto hide. It will reset the audio device and you can then click back to Studio One and CPU load will be reset back to normal. Basically it disconnects the audio driver temporally, disconnecting the audio processing stream to the CPU.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

For starters...

Laptops, by default, are set to turn things off after a while to conserve energy. You need to disable all of that stuff:

- Set power option to "High Performance". Under advanced options, disable all of the individual "hibernate" settings.

- Disable USB power management.

- What audio interface do you have? If it's USB2, best to have it plugged into a USB2 port. (Yes, USB3 is in theory backwards-compatible, but not always the case in reality).

Hi (this is R0b1ns0n but on another account)

Thanks for the advice - @ the INTRANCER --- I keep trying to set the microphone to 24 bit but every time I switch it in the windows settings it automatically reverts to 16 bit. Its easy to switch the speakers to 24 bit , these settings don't bounce back. DO you know what may be going on with this microphone setting ? I get a warning box that says it is being used by another app, and do I want to proceed. I click yes and despite that it still reverts!!

Thankyou all - I will try those ideas

Hi

I engaged the 'release audio in the background' which is something I had not tried before. I then opened task manager and I heard the audio cut out just as it should (based on your description). However when returning to Studio One the Audio was doing this signature stuttering and grinding really slowly.

I closed Studio One and then opened a random YouTube video and the sound was off. I had to go into settings and run the troubleshooter which told me to turn off something that when I opened the window I discovered didn't exist.

I don't know if that helps anyone to help me , but I hope so.

Thanks

I made the assumption that you were using an external 24Bit capable audio interface along with your laptop, which is probably going to be better than the onboard audio system that the laptop provides...

If you provide more information about what type of laptop, the operating system, and particularly the audio interface just for reference. I'm using a Focusrite Pro 14 audio interface which is Firewire based with an I7 920 desktop system with a Gigabyte EX58 UD5 mobo I built in 2010. I've also got a laptop which uses a Saffire Pro 6 which is USB2 based, with Windows 7 64 Bit.

The Windows microphones settings being restricted to 16Bit is normal, for things like Skype, Teamspeak communication software, that's what Windows would use if not for other sound recording applications instead. Studio One will allocate the highest audio quality capabilities that any interface provides so that's why you can't select it whilst using Studio One.

Run the system for a few hours and see if switching from the 16 Bit the recording mode (the audio setting that windows desktop was using) has fixed it.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

There are some really good tips listed, and thanks to the users that posted them. I use a Roland ASIO driver, but sometimes I find it defaulted back to the default windows audio driver.

I know have to now make sure it's using the correct audio driver when starting a project. I've pretty much had the same problem on other DAWs with the windows driver.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”