Cherry Audio Voltage modular

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Voltage Modular Core + Electro Drums Voltage Modular Ignite Voltage Modular Nucleus

Thanks for the info. I take that back about PSP then. I can actually see zooming in that they have those tiny attenuverters. My bad. Apologies to PSP.

PSP have supported iOS so I guess it is not too surprising that they are first on board.

So, should I get it or not? :)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Some of the extra modules that are available for purchase look very interesting and there a few that I'm keen on getting asap. I do wish though that some of them were at least $5 or $10 cheaper.

antic604 wrote:@Mitch, few questions:
- do you plan to expand the Core with more free modules, or is it paid stuff only from here on out?
Can't say with totally authority as I don't make those decisions, but know the history of the guys in charge, it's entirely possibly that we'll add more "free" modules. With that said, at this point we're concentrating on making more crazy, all-singin', all-dancin' modules, so those probably won't be free. (But they'll be affordable. You won't see $100 modules from us.)
antic604 wrote:- do 3rd party developers expected to charge for their stuff, or can it also be free?/quote]

That's actually a good question, I'll ask.
antic604 wrote:- how many of 3rd party developers are working now on their modules and what sort of interesting stuff we can expect from them?
I don't actually know because people are starting to use the Modular Designer software, but we can't say if they're going to sell modules in the store not. We have a handful of devs right now, but I don't have too much more info (sorry!). Obviously PSP has jumped in and has a lot of nifty modules (I believe they're in the store already.)
antic604 wrote:- when does the discount for early access pack end? :)
Again, sorry for being a fountain of not-much-knowledge, but honestly a decision hasn't been made yet. Probably safe to say through end of Nov.

vurt wrote:that's where it will take off for me, when other developers add to it.
no offence to the developers here (the basis of the modular is very important and takes lots of skill so im really not trying to put anybody down...)
as an example ill use my hardware modulars...
i started out years back, with a frac system from bugbrand. the whole two racks are bugs, and while i love toms work and that little blue bastard of mine...
getting the euro system, and buying an oscillator from one company and another from another... opens up the system so much more, as the different companies have a different way of approaching the same things sometimes.

just imagine if reaktor allowed you to use even just vstfx within a patch, how much that would add to an imo already great tool.

so, hopefully, with this and vcv, when they get established, both will attract many more developers :)

wishing you well for the future :)
Believe me, we at the company totally agree. We're a small team, we can only make so many modules, and our choices are obviously influenced by what we want or like (or trying to guess what people want or like).

To anyone so inclined - amy understanding is that as coding does, Voltage Modular is pretty east to create modules for, and porting existing code over is relatively easy as well, so have at it!

cherryMitch wrote:
vurt wrote:that's where it will take off for me, when other developers add to it.
no offence to the developers here (the basis of the modular is very important and takes lots of skill so im really not trying to put anybody down...)
as an example ill use my hardware modulars...
i started out years back, with a frac system from bugbrand. the whole two racks are bugs, and while i love toms work and that little blue bastard of mine...
getting the euro system, and buying an oscillator from one company and another from another... opens up the system so much more, as the different companies have a different way of approaching the same things sometimes.

just imagine if reaktor allowed you to use even just vstfx within a patch, how much that would add to an imo already great tool.

so, hopefully, with this and vcv, when they get established, both will attract many more developers :)

wishing you well for the future :)
Believe me, we at the company totally agree. We're a small team, we can only make so many modules, and our choices are obviously influenced by what we want or like (or trying to guess what people want or like).

To anyone so inclined - amy understanding is that as coding does, Voltage Modular is pretty east to create modules for, and porting existing code over is relatively easy as well, so have at it!
:tu:
glad to know my comment came across as intended :)

and i should have also added, but it is looking good so far 8)

lnikj wrote:Just watching this develop from a distance so this is just an observation.

Whilst it is hard to get detailed information or images of the Cherry Audio modules something I note from what I can see is that a lot of modules appear to be somewhat bereft of CV inputs on their controls and where there are inputs many of them would benefit from attenuverters IMHO.

The PSP modules have a lot of controls but are seriously lacking CV inputs and this, I imagine, is because their existing algorithms have been quickly ported into modules, and their controls cannot sustain (audio rate ?) modulation.

I don't know whether I am missing 'hidden' controls (eg right click gives you a means to attenuate a CV input)?
We should be addressing the problem of not seeing modules prior to purchasing Voltage Modular pretty soon (our webmaster is working like mad just make sure the site and purchasing all works flawlessly), but in the meantime, if there are any modules you'd like to see, I'd be glad to post images up here, so please ask.

re Cherry modules and CV ins, we've had some feedback about lack of CV ins; for some of them (envelope generators, for example), we initially wanted to make "basic" versions like you'd see in a standard Doepfer or classic Moog system, and we fully intend to make deluxe versions with lots of features. We've already done this with our four-ch Voltage Controlled Mixer, which pretty much amounts to being a swiss-Army-knife CV mixer, panner, and four VCA's if you want to use it that way.

Almost all of our CV ins have attenuators. Most don't have inversion, but you can always stick an Attenuator module in there to invert.

The new Digi Drums modules all have CV ins for pitch and decay, and we may add more CV control for existing modules.

re PSP module CV ins, the attenuator knobs are a little hard to make out, but we've mentioned this to them.

For how long are the PSP packs on Intro price?

secretkillerofnames wrote:For how long are the PSP packs on Intro price?
Good question. Was there a notification email sent to owners? I haven’t received any, but the new modules look interesting, so would’ve liked to know they were available.

ftech wrote:
secretkillerofnames wrote:For how long are the PSP packs on Intro price?
Good question. Was there a notification email sent to owners? I haven’t received any, but the new modules look interesting, so would’ve liked to know they were available.
Nope, i found out via this thread
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Hm, quite interesting. Modular is a bit of niche market but wish them booming sales.

discoDSP wrote:Hm, quite interesting. Modular is a bit of niche market but wish them booming sales.
Tell that to the 14.5k members of the VCV Facebook group. Software modulars are rapidly growing in popularity.

@cherryMitch - thanks for your clarifications to my earlier questions. If I may ask another ..

How many audio ins and outs does it have? Does it have midi out? Does it have OSC in and out?

In this new software modular world the best way for them all to coexist and thrive is if they can all talk to each other. Reaktor is very flexible but Softube Modular is unfortunately somewhat lacking in the playing nicely with others department, and I doubt Pulsar is as well, so this may be something you can leverage.

lnikj wrote:
discoDSP wrote:
How many audio ins and outs does it have? Does it have midi out? Does it have OSC in and out?
I guess that if a java OSC library exists wouldn't be too difficult to do an OSC->CV module and a CV->OSC one.
How the Formula module works in Voltage Modular is interesting. It is parsing math operations written in its text input field.
I could imagne about a module parsing OSC messages and converting in CV values and viceversa.

Voltage modular works very well with others modulars or CV sources.
You have 4 mono inputs, 8 output, CV to midi, CV to midi cc converter, midi cc converter, midi in, midi out, midi split.
I would like to see some Disco dsp modules, you have a fantastic filters library !
Best
YY

That's good to hear about Cherry voltage expanding the CV on the ADSR. I was playing around building a patch and found it strange they ommitted this feature... I really like to modulate the attack and release of some special effect type sounds so they sound unique on every loop.

I hope Cherry Voltage just adds them on in a free patch, I would feel a bit dissuaded if they tried to sell it as a separate module for $10... especially as I have multiple modular inspired soft synths that came with this opition off the bat.

This is my fear and will be my tipping point where I abandon the system... The temptation for DLC abuse is vast and we've seen all kinds of different permutations with the various companies who've adopted the model in PC gaming. Some companies have a model where people like buying the DLC and consider the inflated cost a donation of support, others you feel like you are getting stiffed for intentionally ommitted content.

I'm looking at you, sixteen step sequencer.

Apart from that I've loved playing around with what's available, the GUI is beautiful though I do wish for more filter styles. :tu:

Return to “Instruments”