UVI Drum Designer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Drum Designer

noiseboyuk wrote:We have here some 808 snares and kicks, and 909 snares. But no 909 kicks.
Oh yes! I would like to have some 909 presets, too!

Drum Designer CPU usage?
VST Mappings for Bitwig
--Bitwig 5/ Live10 Suite/ Maschine/ HP X360 8Core--

strovoknights wrote:Drum Designer CPU usage?
Pretty good I think - not nothing, but not a monster by any means.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

CPU it’s manageable but noticeable when you add it, so I used it in a track yesterday and ended up tracking outputs to audio then removing it as there are a few artifacts I noticed which I can’t put down to drum designer just yet but it appeared when I had it on during playback

sureno wrote:Yeah so ok,

Maybe some future feature requests

Undo button
Falcon sorely needs an undo button too.

sureno wrote:CPU it’s manageable but noticeable when you add it, so I used it in a track yesterday and ended up tracking outputs to audio then removing it as there are a few artifacts I noticed which I can’t put down to drum designer just yet but it appeared when I had it on during playback
I've been noticing a lot of artifacts even with just a few VST instruments on my setup, at most 15% CPU usage in Task Manager, getting clicks and pops both Cubase 9.5.x and Ableton 10.0.3. Ableton's "usage meter" shows anywhere from 22% to 30% when it happens. The only constant variable is Drum Designer running in Falcon.

Also I put in a bug report to UVI support about Drum Designer resequencing the 1st beat when sequenced with C3 they asked for people to send in project files that have the issue occurring. I also put a bug in their ear to allow the pitch editor to allow some sort of stepped grid, e.g. Cthulhu but I'm not sure feature expansion is a priority for them at this point.

yeah sounds like its DD then, which is a shame as it has some lovely sounds. i think in the next couple updates it should be useable in projects. i really need to submit but haven't had the time yet

Does anyone know if it's possible in the sequencer to do polyrhythms like with BreakTweaker (i.e. each track can have an independent pattern length causing loops to rhythmically drift in and out of sync)? Definitely love UVIs stuff, though as I already own Xils StiX, Arturia Spark and the aforementioned Izotope BreakTweaker I'm wondering if (like the video on the previous page asks) I really need another drum sequencer ?

mcbpete wrote:Does anyone know if it's possible in the sequencer to do polyrhythms like with BreakTweaker (i.e. each track can have an independent pattern length causing loops to rhythmically drift in and out of sync)? Definitely love UVIs stuff, though as I already own Xils StiX, Arturia Spark and the aforementioned Izotope BreakTweaker I'm wondering if (like the video on the previous page asks) I really need another drum sequencer ?

not from what i can see

Based on the manual and videos, it looks genuinely inspiring. But is it just an interface for existing Falcon stuff + a sample pack?

Not being able to load custom samples is a big con for me. Otherwise it could compete with drum samplers like Battery. Especially since I like to bounce drums to audio and edit them several times before I'm done with them.

Since there's no demo, I'm not sure how well it interacts with Falcon. Can you put effects anywhere you want or does it mess with DD's scripts? And not being able to use VSTs in Falcon is a big struggle for designing drums. For example, I often want to put a specific distortion before using Falcon's reverb or something. Stuff like this makes me neutral about committing to DD.

I wish some of this goodness would trickle down to Falcon's so-so drum module. Unless DD really is just a skin and samples.

Was trying it this out and it's nice but I hope they could add or fix a few features?

The White Keys really should start on Bars 1,3,5,7... and Black Keys should start on Bars 2,4,6,8…. Right now everything is a bit too close for live performances.

2. It would be nicer to have 8 bars spread over 8 or 16 pages instead.

I've noticed that the same beats play over and over again too soon. I know I have the option to drag and drop midi but I would prefer to make changes in the Drum Designer prior to resorting to that.

3. I wished the playback option button would just sync to the host DAW.

Just a few suggestions nothing malicious intended as I like all UVI products.
Last edited by Michael Jay on Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spoontechnique wrote:Based on the manual and videos, it looks genuinely inspiring. But is it just an interface for existing Falcon stuff + a sample pack?

Not being able to load custom samples is a big con for me. Otherwise it could compete with drum samplers like Battery. Especially since I like to bounce drums to audio and edit them several times before I'm done with them.

Since there's no demo, I'm not sure how well it interacts with Falcon. Can you put effects anywhere you want or does it mess with DD's scripts? And not being able to use VSTs in Falcon is a big struggle for designing drums. For example, I often want to put a specific distortion before using Falcon's reverb or something. Stuff like this makes me neutral about committing to DD.

I wish some of this goodness would trickle down to Falcon's so-so drum module. Unless DD really is just a skin and samples.
I have Beat Anthology and I tend to use that within falcon... I'm able to do a lot more with the sound..
I'm assuming that might be the case with Drum Designer as they kind off look similar

spoontechnique wrote:Not being able to load custom samples is a big con for me.
It doesn't have a sequencer yet, but you might want to check out Atlas if you want a drum sampler that loads your own samples automatically.

I can swallow not being able to import samples, but I'd be kinda miffed as a Drum Anthology owner not being able to use them in any way with this?

How widely are the parameters of the individual kit pieces open to automation from the host? I.e. can I modulate/automate the decay on one of the snare elements from the host?

Return to “Instruments”